Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
New thermostat

Sick and tired of old multi-zone thermostat on my single zone system.
Never liked it.
I am getting a nice LCD single zone Dometic.
(I know of the Hunter, just would rather have a Dometic for my Dometic unit.)
Ordered it today, you also need the interface on the A/C unit with the new thermostat, Per Dometic.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
What does it cost Ozz and how difficult is it to install? It looks nice.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When I get it in town, I will do a slide-show on the install. You have to change the board on the A/C unit, but I imagine it's simple, they use the telephone connector ends on the wiring. Should be here in a week.
I like the large buttons. The cost with the board is $117.00
(I repeat, I know the Hunter is available and cheaper, along with scores of other thermostats.)
I want the right thermostat for the system, and a nice looking one.
You have to be careful with electronic thermostats when matching up to a control board on the A/C unit.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I just have one question, and to prove I'm paying attention.

Why is the switch on the inverter plug turned "on" since there is nothing plugged into it?

I don't mean to hijack the thread so I'll report that you showed us your expertise, again, with the Dometic thermostat.

(Expert: e"x" is an unknown quantity, and "spert(spurt)" is a drop of water under pressure.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wayne, you are a Hoot!
Well, the switch turns off the power supply to whatever load you may want to put on it, if that is your want. Options, my friend, options.
If you plug in the computer, for instance with the switch on, you have power to it.
Is that what you were questioning, or did I miss the point? (Which I often do..)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Ozz, I too will be interested in that new Dometic thermostat. At least (in my opinion) they did one thing right by moving the t'stat location in our 2011 3400 to the wall at the stairs, where there is better air movement, than having it in the corner by the fireplace, where it is "dead air space". Also, I finally figured out that we only have "one" zone. I was thinking I had two, since I discovered a remote sensor in the bedroom ceiling, but discovered that it is simply "averaging" the temps between the main t'stat and that remote sensor.....which is all of about 6 feet from the main stat. SIGH..........

Waynem, I've always known that statement to be......"expert".....ex is an unknown factor, and "spert" (spurt) is a drip under pressure!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
Wouldn't it be much easier to use a 12v laptop charger? I see by the numerous mods recently we have something else in common. When I have too much free time on my hands I like to spend money on stuff just because I can.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Terry, with such a wide cooling requirement range between the front area and the other, 'averaging' just don't compute.. But, they are trying I guess.

Ha! Mike we are a dangerous duo.
As you might imagine, I have a ton of things that I can use the truck inverter power supply for, 120 volt phone, laptop, camera battery chargers, and when I was doing service work, tool battery chargers.
Besides, it's cool...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
ozz
not to spoil your fun. we have the new led dometic thermostat in our 2011 montana hight country 323rl. it is located in the hall way to bed and bathroom as you come into the coach. love the simplicity of it. our only problem is when it gets hot in the monty while in storage before trips we get a E2 code which somehow is a protector of the thermostat when the inside temp gets over a preset temp . i believe over 100= it has happened twice to us. the dealer told me Dometic doesnt have a fix yet. and he had 100 units on the lot with the same thermostat. all he said to do was remoed cover and hold a ice pack over thermostat for 2-3 minutes and it resets and will work. DONT MEAN TO ALARM YOU . it works great otherwise undoer normal conditions.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the heads up, I think we will be Ok as long as we are living in it.
What about powering it down, rebooting the system, will that work to reset it?
Also, I wonder if in storage, you kill the power to the thermostat if that would solve the storage high-temp problem?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Ozz, I'm going off-topic here, but on topic for your numerous posts in this topic.

Your signature doesn't always show a picture, but worse yet, I've seen a picture of the inverter box, but right now, on my computer the picture shows a decorative knob for the screen door mod to be able to open the screen from the inside of the rig even though the description says it's an inverter.

Do you know what's going on here?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Why sure!
A person can elect to omit their signature when posting. You can also include any picture into the signature, change them at any time. I figure it's boring to look at the same thing all the time, so I mix it up.
When retrieving pictures from you computer, sometimes the album they are in holds many other pictures, and the album is labeled a random name.
Help clear up the mystery?