Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #21
Peter1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #20319
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricos Ride View Post
Traffic at the west entrance starts back in up around 8:00 a.m. At some point it will be all the way back to the traffic light in West Yellowstone, bout 1/4 mile, so head in early or as suggested early afternoon. As mentioned the 20 mile trip out to quake lake visitor enter is interesting. There are pull outs with information along the way. Hebgen Lake bed actually tilted about 6”. From the quake Another nice side trip is Mesa Falls, Idaho, south of West Yellowstone nice place for a picnic. Start early and conttinue south to enter Jackson WY. From the west. Fantastic view of Jackson Hole from Teton Pass. Be aware, 10 % grade 5 miles either side from the top. Then you can drive north from Jackson through Grand Teton NP and enter Yellowstone and back out the west entrance. Makes for a long day but a very scenic one
We are going the end of May first week of June. Splitting our time between the Tetons and Yellowstone. I will be testing my Cummins and Aisin on that pass because I figure it may be easier than trying to drive through the park with a 42 foot 5ver behind me. Been to Yellowstone 6 times before. I know what that traffic can be like. Haven't been on a 10% grade with the trailer yet. Sounds like an adventure.

Peter1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I came down the 10% pass a couple of years ago. Just ran it in 1st or 2nd with engine (exhaust?) brake on. No problem. BUT there was a young couple I felt sorry for. They had a pickup or suv (old I think) towing a small flat bed trailer about 12 feet long with side rails. They were pulled off to the side with smoke rolling out the trailer brakes (or maybe the truck - can't remember). They had a week scheduled in Yellowstone at the small campgrounds. I don't think they had much money and would have to have the brakes rebuilt in Jackson. Dang....

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #23
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
We stayed at Buffalo Crossing last June. Open campground but right around the corner from the entrance to the park. If you don't have one yet, get a National Park pass as that line moves much quicker as they aren't collecting any $.
Have to second the comments about going early or going late. Much less traffic. Be very alert as bison have been known to lie on the warm pavement. You can't see them in the dark and their eyes don't glow in the headlights.
They have several early morning and evening photography safaris. If you want to get some fantastic photos of geothermals take the one from Old Faithful in the morning. If you want wildlife, take a different one.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #24
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Also, make sure the driver keeps his/her eyes on the road. It's hard to do, but we saw one unfortunate family's vacation ruined when their vehicle ended up with the wheels pointed skyward.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have been to Yellowstone/Teton quite a few times and have done a mix of dry camping and resorts to cut down on the driving. We stayed just outside of the Northeast gate in forest service campgrounds. This gives a great advantage in prime animal viewing times for the Lamar and Hayden valleys. We have had our best luck in the evening in these areas for seeing wolves, bears and moose.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote