Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Just a Place Holder

I can only say that I have never had the nerve to boon-dock. Our biggest excuse is that we love our comforts too much such as the A/C, cable, hot water, etc. I can only say that after being raised on a farm, camping under a tarp, graduating to a tent, then to an RV of some type, I am not sure if we could return to anything less. I would like someone to share their ways to make it work effectively. Please excuse me for not really posting the correct type of article, but the topic just seemed so lonely with no postings.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Native Tex,
Your RV.... especially the Montanas are perfect for Boondocking. If you add a 3000 -- 5000 watt generator and a satellite system then you will have all your comforts. The generator will run your AC. The satellite system will give you all the TV you could want. And if you want you can even add an internet system with your satellite system. Hot water? Does you propane not work? Ours heats our water heater really quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Please excuse me for not really posting the correct type of article,...". Your posting is fine and it does help this area from being so lonely.

Come join the small boondocking group that gathers at Quartzite each year. Just a small quarter to half million or so boondockers! . The only way to know is to give it a try. Go with some friends for the first time or so.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
HamRad - thanks for the response and starting this string. Please do not misunderstand, the metaphor of 'hot water' did not mean things did not function properly. I was implying that we have gotten to the point of not wanting to forgo anything and do some real 'roughing it'. We have the satellite and all the immenities, except the generator. We are looking around to determine the best solution there too. Any ideas or suggestions? I do plan on giving this style of Monty camping a try when I get the portable power to support us.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
O.V.,
Where in TX is home? We are from the Upshur County area. Way over in the east central part of TX. Born in Gilmer and spent many of my early childhood days between there and the Longview area. Beautiful country.

So boondocking.... many of CA state parks have only water and many times not even that! But they are in some very beautiful areas. If you check my PictureTrail link you'll see some pics of the Redwood area in northern CA. That park had no hook-ups but was a wonderful place to stay.

Last year at this time my brother and I pulled the rig over to Quartzite and we plan to go again this year. If you plan ahead.... .like a min of 6 months to a year you can find some full hook sites in the town of Quartzite.... but only a few.... The vast majority or spread all over the valley and up into the foot hills! It is a sight to see!

With what you already have..... add at least a 2000 watt generator.... we have one of the Hondas. It will run everything except the A/C. My next buy will be a set of 4 "golf cart" six volt batteries and an inverter. If we REALLY get into the boondocking mode then I'll even look for some serious solar panels to install. If it were just me I'd already be doing that. But the better half insists on staying around civilization! Something about shopping!!

The only other suggestion when boondocking is to CONSERVE! Conserve on everything. You can spend much more time in one place without having to move if you conserve water. The less you use the less goes into the tanks. The less you use the longer it will last.

Well that's enough for now... Load up and come on out to the Q. You'll see a site that will astound you.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
When we're out there AC and cable are the least of our worries. We are usually up to the waist in a creek with trout on the line, getting ready for an evening fire, and once in a while just loafing around.

We run batteries and inverter for some limited 120VAC and only use the genny to recharge every so often.

If we're enroute, the TV charges everything so when we stop we're ready to go. We have a third propane tank and a 60 gallon water tank in the TV so we can stay in one place a week or two before we have to move and dump tanks.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A native and STILL Texan jumping in here! We are thinking of a trip to California sometime this year. The possibilities of "Boon Docking" are very interesting. As you may know, I have just installed a pair of 6 volt "golf cart" batteries and haven't yet been able to use them.

HamRad, I never did respond to your last message in another thread so I'll add a few personal remarks here. I retired as the pastor of First United Methodist Church in Longview in 1997. We moved back here to Ore City where I, my parents, and all four of my grandparents were born. We are living in a house built for my Williamson grandparents in 1910, the year that Ore City was established. [Obviously my grandparents, and not so obviously, my parents were born in this immediate area beforethere was an "Ore City".]

Since I'm somewhat 'hijacking' this thread, I'll check out now, but always nice to make contact with fellow Texasn, especially of the expatriate variety.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In my first 60 years of life I became used to a huge number of creature comforts living my stick house lifestyle. In October of 2003 I gave up a large number of those creature comforts to be come a Fulltimer. There is no way I am going to give up anymore.

We enjoy taking showers everyday without fear of running out of water or propane for my hot water. So much easier hooking into the parks water system and most parks also have propane available.

I enjoy all the creature comforts associated with 120V electrical power. We don't watch a lot of TV but I want it ready to use whenever I get the urge. Lorraine and I do use a hair dryer after every shower. And let's not forget the A/C! No way shape or form will I do without my A/C.

Not in the least do I care to listen to some generator. Nor do I want to carry a can of gasoline around just to keep that noisy beast running. It is so much simplier to plug into the parks power tower.
I find it so easy to just go out and pull the black tank lever and dump that filthy beast and than do the same with the gray tank. I would not at all enjoy filling and than dragging one of them blue tanks to a dump station and no way am I gonna breakdown the rig just to drag it to a dump station and than drag it back and set up again.

I could go on but I think you get the idea that boondocking maybe a great way of life for some but not for us.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Wow...sounds like we need to lighten up a bit here... we don't boondock in caves you know... 60 gallons of fresh water goes a long way and AC might be nice in the tropics but in cooler climes who needs it?? We'd much rather be in the great outdoors not hideing in the RV hopeing the AC doesn't quit.

Obviously the boondocking is not for some folks, but it's kinda neat for the rest of us... under the stars, no pollution, satellite tv if we want it... outdoors at our fingetips...yeah...maybe we run the genny now and then... but I bet if you compare traffic...park fees...blood pressure..;

Frankly... I don't have enough hair for a hair dryer.......but, my inverter will run one if necessary.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
The best boondocking we have had is on the Chena River Northeast of Fairbanks, Alaska. Spent 5 days in the beautiful wilderness. Just ran the generator as need, built a campfire for roasting marshmallows, canoed on the river, and spent time with family from Fairbanks. Oh yes, up the road 12 miles was the Chena Hot Springs which was also lovely for relaxtion.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
[quote]Originally posted by HamRad

O.V.,
Where in TX is home? We are from the Upshur County area. Way over in the east central part of TX. Born in Gilmer and spent many of my early childhood days between there and the Longview area. Beautiful country.

HamRad my TX home is Texarkana, good old Bowie county. I still have a farm and family living there. I lived in Longview, Kilgore, and Overton during my Texas life too. These are pretty close to your area.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Looks like we have a pretty good East Texas "good ol' boys' contingent. We left there yesterday afternoon and are in Pueblo, CO tonight.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Part of the joy of camping is the quite of boondocking.
Water and propane along with some battery power are enough for me.
I'm thinking about a generator but don't want to listen to alot of noise.
Any thoughts on quite running generators?
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
Montana_3539
Established Member

M.O.C. #3539
Danny,
I bought a Yamaha 1100 about 3 years ago & use it when we boondock, runs everything except the AC and Microwave. It runs all day on a little over a gallon of gas, cost me about $500 way back when. Oh yes, weighs about 35 lbs, I believe. Gets heavier every year. Best thing about it is that it is very quiet, can hardly hear it sometimes, but then again I'm hard of hearing. I understand that Honda has a new model about the same size as mine that put out twice as much power... cost about $850, I believe. Some people use two in parallel & run everything on their RV, don't know about gas consumption, you'd have to talk to a dealer about that.
Montana_3539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
WE have a Honda 2000 that we use once in a while. Used it on vacation this year when we stopped overnight at Tamarack in Beckley WV. Wont run the A/C but will everything else. If I was going to do a lot of dry camping I would get another and hook them up together.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
Not sure if it is bona-fide "boondocking", but I am a NASCAR fanatic and the campgrounds I stay in have no hookups. I stay a week and run a generator to recharge the batteries a couple of times a day. I had a 27 foot Prowler TT, and just upgraded to a 3685 MONTANA. I had a 5500 Ovan propane powered generator installed with interior start switches. I gave up some storage space and added weight, but I don't have to drag an external generator aroung and don't have the gasoline can and it's own inherant dangers. I have not used it for any length of time so I'm not sure of consumption beyond what the specs tell me, but I can verify it is quiet and runs the AC and microwave together without struggle. The campground where I stay, generators are not allowed after 11PM, but they are running everywhere during the daytime... and noise just doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #16
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for all your input on the generators.
I guess the best check on them is to have the dealer start it up to listen to how loud it is.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
unless you have a drastic change of heart or already own a portable generator I wouldn't rush out and buy one.they are great...and we have one, but unless you plan to do alot of boon docking...it may not be worth it to you.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #18
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
We boon dock at several lakes or other areas in the National Forests. We have a Onan Generator built in type. We have a movie time each night ,that keeps the Batteries up..The only time we don't boon dock is traveling from point A to B. Then its fun to met others on the road. We are lucky that we have folks that come see us in the summer (Idaho) and folk in AZ that we go see in the winter. I think alot of RV'ers would welcome (and have spots) at their home territory. Maybe folks should start a string that would identify these.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote