Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dawn Dishwashing Detergent - not for autos

Everything I have read on the forum about cleaning has a mention of Dawn Dishwashing Detergent being used to wash the Monty, or autos. Maybe for gelcoat it is okay, but I recently ran across this quote on the Dawn web site: (I bolded the area of possible importance."

"Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?
Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair."

Remember that this is from the Dawn web site.

I never waxed my Monty, and until I purchased the Mr. Clean Autodry System, I used Dawn (original) for washing. It has been reported on other forums, that Dawn is used by automotive paint and body shops because it will remove the wax.

Anyone else have any information?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I believe the Dawn Dish-washing Detergent is recommended for the Montana rubber roofs only. I use Turtle Wax wash and wax on the coach.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dicor, the rubber roof manufacturer recommends Dawn dish washing detergent.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I believe it was also recommended for use on the awning.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm just quoting the manufacturer.

It may be that gelcoat is different than clear coat when it comes to dishwashing detergents. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just reporting something I just found out. Don't shoot the messenger.

I would agree that using it on the rubber roof would not be detrimental to the rubber and it would get the sap and bird dropping of fairly well. Awnings are cloth, and I believe the A&E philosophy states to use a mild soap.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I remember reading years ago that dish soap would remove wax from the finish of cars, which is why I switched to car washing products. I also use the car wash products on the trailer. If my hands are any judge, the car wash product is much less harsh than dish soap.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dicor recommended it for the rubber roof. The original blue Dawn. It does, as do others remove the wax and grease from the car or camper. We do not wax the camper so we don't have that problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Son-in-law was a car detailer for years working his way through collage, and he always said not to use dish soap on cars as it will remove or eat at the wax coating on the car. But we only use Dawn to wash the rubber roof of the Montana, and use copious amounts of water to wash it off the roof and sides of the 5er. We then wax the 5er afterwords.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, as Rich said, dishwashing detergents are grease removers which also means wax removers. I've used it on cars when I wanted to apply something that has to stick to the sheet metal, such as side molding or decals, but otherwise not. I do use it on the roof, although I don't clean the roof very often.

At one time the dicor website specifically suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid for cleaning the roof. Later they pulled that off the website when they came out with their own cleaning products.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote