Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
awnings

Well, my awning got tore up here in south Louisiana in the last storm. We have the 3650rk and I am considering the electric awning. Anyone have any input? (silly question)

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
The next time you see a Big Sky check it out as they have the electrict operated awning. Have not seen it yet but you might get a price from you dealer for one. Would be interested to see the price.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dick and Jackie,
off topic but,
Just wanted to tell you what a greeat little town you have there in Ephrata. Whe I was a chapter director for Gold Wing Road Riders we had a rally there. Our chapter "G" The pink panthers had a banner hung over the roadway that temporarily changed the name of the town to "G"phrata. The town thought it was hilarious. What a great bunch of people. great hospitality.
Back on topic, I too am interested in the electric awning, and have a queastion as to the side wall strength, is it backed to take the extra strain?
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Garin1

Couple of options. A&E and Carefree. Big Sky chose the Carefree, probably for the same reason we did.

The full version A&E Weatherpro is around $1,800 for my 16'. It is fully automatic (wind sensor, etc.). A&E makes a stripped down version for Camping World called a Power Pro 9100. It's the same basic awning only it just has electric in/out with a switch and only comes in vinyl. They are on sale for $850 + install for my 16'. The A&E power awnings require the full replacement, as they put the motor in the roller tube. My biggest concern with them is the "knee action" advertised to absorb wind gusts. The shock is too lightweight and the awning will be continously slapping up and down in any breeze (physically played with one at Camping World).

The full version Carefree Eclipse is also areound $1,800 for my 16" fully loaded, or $1,300 stripped. They will not work on my 3400, as the arm is too long for my front overhang. What Keystone chose to use is the Carefree Travl'r version, which is around $1,200 and is a lighter weight version to the Eclipse, but fits the front overhang. The arm system on the Carefree is much sturdier and limits movement in the wind. Not that it would work in your case (ripped awning), but carefree power arms are compatible with A&E awnings. We elected to buy the Travl'r power arms and use them with our existing awning. The Carefree motors are in the arms, so replacement involves removing the old arms, removing the spring in the roller, and installing the new power arms. Total cost to us will be $900 including installation. Ours will look just like what is pictured on the Big Sky 340RLQ, only our awning fabric will be the original A&E. Hopefully it will be installed in the next two weeks.

Happy shopping!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Garin, we don't have the electric awning. Those who do that I've talked with commented they're pretty flimsy and by the time it realizes there is a wind and starts to close it's too late. Slowly increasing winds, yes. Gusts, no. That's keeping us from going to the electrically operated awning. If they solve that problem I'll reconsider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I saw an electric awning on the Class A of a campground host on Lake Lanier last summer and talked to him about how he liked it one day. Like Steve said, he commented that it was extremely flimsy and said that if something ever happened to it, he would switch back to a manual. Looking at one of them at the local Montana dealer last summer--not on a Monty, mind you--I was inclined to agree with his assessment.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Guess I'll find out for myself.

Sure beats getting a ladder out to manually setup or take down the one I have (release knob about 3' above my reach). I'd never get the factory one down in the wind on time.

Again - no mention of the Brand of those disliked. I would agree the A&E system is too flimsy.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I have a small step stool in the basement for that purpose. But I still have to use the ladder to put the deflappers on. I like the concept of the electric. I just don't like the implementation. Someday hopefully they'll solve the problems. I hope you never have a problem with yours.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We were in Tucson, a sudden wind came up and a class A's automatic awning flipped up over the rig,
wind too fast for sensor-Ugh.
I wouldn't have one on mine. I would be a scaredy cat and worry all the time.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My dealer doesn't recommend them for the very reasons stated before. Many times the wind hits you too fast and they don't retract quickly enough.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wonder if there is a way to temporarily disable the automatic retraction so you could strap down the awning. Then you could use it in automatic mode when you only want it to be down for short periods. Just a thought.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Gentlemen - We are really confusing the issue here by not comparing apples to apples -

The Big Sky Carefree Travl'r and the A&E Power Pro 9100 are NOT automatic awnings, they are simply ELECTRIC. There are no sensors. They don't move until you push the button. You can tie them down if you want, you can even hang party lights on them. Grant it, you can't tie them down as tight as the long arm type standard awnings considering the pivot point, but our standard awning has the short front arm anyway so the pivot point is the same.

The whole idea behind the electric is you extend it when you want to use it, and put it away when your done, or if you want to leave. It takes 30 seconds - 40 maybe if its strapped down - and your done. No getting a ladder to reach the upper arm releases, and no getting your wife slammed in between the arm and the trailer when a gust blows that awning fabric up like a sail when you release the horizontal supports. Seems to make sense to me.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the clarification, Brad. That pretty much eliminates my concerns. Now, if you'd like to have one installed on our Montana we'd be glad to report back how well it works.