Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Roughing It

I love Boon docking. Every fall and winter we go on hunting trips with no hookups. We fill up with fresh water and get our Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator hooked up and with Dish Network, HDTV and surround sound we rough it well. 4-5 nights, quick showers and we are good.

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I guess the quick showers is the "roughing it" Part.
Carry on, that is one way to use a Monty to it's fullest potential.
Sounds like fun.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
There is NO WAY I would let DH take the Monty to the deer lease! Unless the lease had a pad and hook-ups and a paved road to get there - LOL! But, glad you enjoy it -

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
km, you'll have to make plans to join the gang at Quartzite some year as that is exactly what we're doing here on the desert. We have a circle of 11, big campfires every night, mountains all around us, plenty of room for the dogs to run and play, pizza parties, lots of fun and fellowship. Plus you can buy all the junk you want at the endless flea market in town. The chorus of generators start about 6:15 every morning and life on the desert is very good.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy ! Now that's a pretty painting !! Thanks !! Might join y'all one of these days !!

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Lisa, that would be funny if we met in the Arizona desert since we can't even cross paths in GA and AL! Stranger things happen.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are roughing it as we speak here at the Havasu RV resort in Lake Havasu City, Az. We have a slow WiFi connection today but we will tough it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Suzanne,
My wife goes with me! She loves it! She didn't rent enough movies last time and I hated getting up in the middle of a good football game to go sit peacefully in the woods! HA! HA!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Judy,

Do all 11 of you have your generators running at the same time? That must be very noise. How long do you need to run them each day?

To any non-generator users at Quartzite,
How long can you last on just battery power as cold as it has been in Quartzite this year? I would think that one night would pretty much drain your battery with the heater running.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Last year we roughed it in Quartzite for 8 days. That was tooooo long. I would never stay for more than five days again except in an emergency.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Kevin, that's our favorite type of camping. Best of all it's free!! My sig pic is from last summer boondocking on the Mogollon Rim in northern AZ. Birding RVer, battery life depends on many factors like the weather, usage etc. We have two group 27 batteries and we can usually last at least two nights running the furnace in temps in the 40's with it set at around 70 inside. (wife does not like to be cold!!) Of course the colder it is, the less time you will get out of them.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Golf cart batteries and solar panels.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #13
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
We also love to boondock, just got our confirmation for two weeks in July and two weeks in August at a local lake thats only 12 miles from home. Campsite is less than twenty feet to the water, can't get much better than that, got the boat and beach less than a splash away. With the use of double batteries, solar panel, and generator not much is missing from a full hook up. who needs a TV when you got a camp fire, good friends, and the sounds of the night air and lake.
The only draw back is the filling of water and the emptying of the blue baby. For the cost of thirteen dollars a day it is well worth the pleasures of a summer home.
Also got confirmation for the months of June and September at Cape Cod, these are full hook ups and the boondocking makes them most appreciated. It,s like having the best of both worlds.

Wandering Star
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I didn't do a count but I think everyone had a generator, all were the quiet type, and it seems a generator would be very necessary for a stay of over two days in the cool nights that we've been having. Our battery has run down and doesn't get recharged with the generator use. Some of the guys can explain why. The lights are dim now (after 5 days) on battery power and our furnace won't ignite all through the night because the batteries get run down. We all run our generators off and on during the day when we're home. Last night we had to turn on our generator about 3:30 a.m. because our carbon monoxide detector battery was run down and started squealing. The generator is quieter than the Carbon Monoxide squeal. Some folks have gone to two batteries which would help us, I'm sure.

With the generator, it's just like having electrical hookups for us....TV, computer, sewing machine. Really cool!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sounds like you guys are really having fun out there Judy!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Judy,

Do all 11 of you have your generators running at the same time? That must be very noise. How long do you need to run them each day?

To any non-generator users at Quartzite,
How long can you last on just battery power as cold as it has been in Quartzite this year? I would think that one night would pretty much drain your battery with the heater running.
BirdingRVer,
We have been with the Q-circle since last Friday the 19th. We left for Yuma today. We only had one night where we ran the batteries down, and then only because we ran out of propane in one of our tanks in the middle of the night, and it got pretty cold before Mel woke up and realized it, and then it took quite a while of running the furnace to reheat the rv again, after changing over the propane, and then of course, the battery died (we will be using two batteries next year), we had to wait for a couple of hours to be able to start the generator at a decent hour to start the heater again, (we figured 6:00am wasn't too early, at least that's what our cold noses told us). We had no other problems during the week that we were there. We did however, run out of water this morning before we left for home. It was great, and we will be going back again next year! You just can't beat the company!
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
AZcampinfool,
I visited the Mongollon Rim Area back in September. It was beautiful! Get you a Honda EU2000i inverter generator. They are very quiet. 65 db I believe. 65 db is normal talking level. They cost about $900-1000 weigh about 46 pounds. My wife can carry it. It will run 8-10 hours on a fill up at 1/4 load. All night. Two Hondas can easily wired together and will run the AC in the summer. We usually only take one for winter use. I bough mine on line. Wisesales.com
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are having a great time on the desert, Dave, and the party continues. We have nine rigs moving south to Ajo, AZ for a few days to visit the Organ Pipe area. We had our last campfire here last night and are looking forward to our continuing adventure.

I just found this interesting link: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/Boondocking/
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #19
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kmh3212

AZcampinfool,
I visited the Mongollon Rim Area back in September. It was beautiful! Get you a Honda EU2000i inverter generator. They are very quiet. 65 db I believe. 65 db is normal talking level. They cost about $900-1000 weigh about 46 pounds. My wife can carry it. It will run 8-10 hours on a fill up at 1/4 load. All night. Two Hondas can easily wired together and will run the AC in the summer. We usually only take one for winter use. I bough mine on line. Wisesales.com
Kevin, that is exactly what I do. The mountaineer has a built in rack on the rear where I can easily store them in a secured chest. I can even run the a/c going down the road in the summer so the fiver is nice a cool when we get to our destination. The Honda's are great!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
Thanks for the link. Stay safe and enjoy the new destination....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote