Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,
I wouldn't replace it for a couple of years to get your use out of it, but if a 27 or 29 will fit I would get the larger capacity. Might consider a second battery as well, unless your pretty sure you'll rarely be on battery.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #22
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Has anyone ever tried one of those solar battery chargers that sits on the roof?
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think there was a post on that within the last week. I'd try a search for solar in all topics.

Brad
Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #24
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Last year while we were at Quartsite I had two 12v batteries that would drain down overnight with the use of the furnace. I had to recharge them every day. I changed the 2 12v batteries out for 2 6v golf cart batteries this summer and while boondocking for 7 days did not run out of power. I did run the generator in the AM to make coffee and again for a hour or so in the evening to give outside lighting, also I did not have to use the heater all that much. I was impressed though with how long lasting the golf cart batteries were compared to the original 12v batteries installed by the dealer.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, I definitely would like to go with a 2 golf cart setup. I don't believe there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to reserve power when you need it. Although I reserve the right to rescind that comment in light of Ozz's setup...

Only 2 things give me hesitation on the golf cart setup - money and weight. Both can be overcome, however...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Golf cart batteries RULE!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David, I'm with you - I'm in the market to replace my original batteries, as they barely have enough zip to get the landing gear down without help from the truck batteries. I have the same questions about cost/weight/size, and a little concerned about the venting. I've looked under some golf carts at the course, and it's not a pretty sight usually.

Ozz - Do the golf cart batteries vent and corrode significantly more than the maintenance free RV type? (My wonderful dealer gave my vent a toss when he put the second battery in).

Brad
Old 09-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, someone just posted a pict of a battery case that holds 2 golf cart batteries - and it is vented. I think you can check with Ozz, Brad, but I don't think it's a good idea to not have proper cases/venting for a battery (or batteries) that are constantly being charged like these RV batts are...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also, Brad, I have not ever heard any discussion on batteries over the last 14 months (and there has been a bunch) that mentioned extra corrosion/leakage from any 6v golf cart batteries, relative to the standard deep cycle 12v...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks David,

Your right, there are ignition sources in there and I should be venting. Problem is, I remember looking at it at the Dealer with a single battery with a cap and hose attached to the front. We asked for two batteries and when we went to pick it up at delivery, it had a new tray with two batteries but the cap and hose was gone. I'll see if I can find a cap(s) and vent it back to the front vent. Everything else they did I've had to do over anyway.

Brad
Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #31
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Brad, someone just posted a pict of a battery case that holds 2 golf cart batteries - and it is vented. I think you can check with Ozz, Brad, but I don't think it's a good idea to not have proper cases/venting for a battery (or batteries) that are constantly being charged like these RV batts are...
Here's the important points of the above mentioned battery case.

The 2 batteries just exactly fit in that BlueSea battery box as it is specifically designed for them. Here is the home page:

http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?P...62&l1=7462&l2=

And here is the source from which I purchased:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi...&view_id=14589
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a bank of 10 G.C. batteries and a Trace 2500 Inverter. I use them to power the house in outages here, to supplement the generator(s) (I know). I've had them for 6 years now. (We are at the end of the transformer power line, happens all the time.)
The G.C. batteries don't outgas or corrode any different than a regular battery, the corrosion is prevented by covering connections with a sealer, grease, Vaseline, I like the Red spray on protectant from the auto parts store.
Excessive out gassing and 'bubbling over' is caused by improper charging. Get the IQ device, it will help.
I used a 2" ? white bilge pump hose, thin plastic ribbed hose, hardware store, or Lowe's, just cut the hole in the top of a regular Battery box and stuff it in there. If you add a second battery, just stuff it in the original battery box after cutting a hole in the top. The original hose will vent them both. Loop one to the other.
I have mine in the connected garage, I have had no problem with not venting them, but strongly suggest venting them up front in the storage area on the Monte.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great info. Thanks, Ozz!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #34
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
Wow! Ten!? That is a lot. But then I suspect they will power just about everything in the house. Nice setup. At least you don't have to worry about power outages. Something like that would be nice in the Monty too.

Thanks for sharing info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #35
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks all,
Didn't want to hijack the thread, but this is all good info. The blue box looks like it will be a nice installation Ken!

Brad
Old 09-22-2006, 06:25 AM   #36
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We just dry camped at Bryce Canyon NP. Temps in the upper 20's with about 20 MPH of wind. We did not get thru the night on 1 battery in a 3475RL--all NEW. We tried to run the furnace all night but it gave out about 4AM. Monty got to 42 when we got up and hooked up the TV to power the furnace. That worked. BUT--since the battery was very low, I had to jumper the slide out motor to get the slide outs in so we could move. NEXT TIME--2 batteries--No Furnace at night. Keep those jumper cables handy!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #37
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Great thread! I have a 3 battery setup in my Montana...2-DieHard Group 27's and 1-Group 24. I do a number of dry camping trips to NASCAR races (Pocono & Watkins Glenn) so it was necessary to have enough reserve for 4 day weekends. I do have a Kipor 3000TI which we (son and I) run to restore battery power for couple of hours depending on evening 750watt inverter runtime. The two 27's are wired (10 awg) to marine switch that feeds inverter and alternately connected to another marine switch that connects back to 24 for charging. This guarantee's if we get too into the DirecTV and consume all DC voltage the coach still has the 24 to keep systems running....Fridge, Hot water, Heat...etc. I used a Office Depot plastic storage box to hold all three batteries...reconnected the vent pipe to top cover using PVC connector...added a hole to bottom aligned to original drain hole in coach. All this sits under hydralic pump shelf for slides. I am interesting in the Golf cart option once these three batteries start to become unreliable, but for now we are quiet on genny....and switch to wisper mode at 8pm to...?? Not sure when son is tired I'm done at 11pm.
Mom was really happy with this setup. Comments from her were "Wow" got to use all my sewing machines with genny (quiet running unit) on Assetauge Island National Seashore then at 6pm we shut it down and spent remaining evening watching TV (25 inch CRT) without any concerns!
Chuck n Linda
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:57 AM   #38
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
With our solar setup and two 12V D8 Lifeline AGM batteries we can boondock indefinitely. Most of it depends on how much we use our computers, printers, and scanner during the day. We get enough charge from the sun to keep us going during the day. If the days are overcast, that's another thing. However, we've not been out of power in over three years with this setup.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:43 AM   #39
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I was under the assumtion that when on the road the tow vehicle would charge the monty. After reading the forum that doesn't happen
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:51 AM   #40
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
garyka, the Montana battery DOES charge when hooked to the tow vehicle, as long as the tow vehicle is running. At least mine does, according to my dealer, I haven't actually checked it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote