Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
For those that have replaced the surround sound

What setup did you go with? I know it will have to be something that will work in place of the factory installed unit, but I am curious as to what you used. Also, how involved is it? Thanks

Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We replaced ours with a Sony system. Did not replace speakers except for sub-woofer. Big, big improvement. The Sony system has special connectors for the speakers so we had to splice the wires but it only took about an hour all told. The unit is a little bit larger than the Q but it fits nicely. In the 3400 in order to replace the speakers you have to first take out the fireplace and then the TV so we wanted to avoid that if possible. We did a test before we actually started cutting wires and the speakers above the TV seem to be okay. We can not play the unit at full volumne as the speakers are not rated as high as the Sony but we are not in to loud music anyway so not a problem!
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #3
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Just out of curiousity, what model # of Sony did you use. Sounds like a Good idea to me?
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
beliveauj
Established Member

M.O.C. #5114
I replaced ours with a Sony DVD Home Theatre System.I did put in the Sony speakers.
beliveauj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
Replaced mine with a Sony DAV-DX150. The speakers are larger than the Quest ones as is the main unit. I relocated the front speakers right one above the door to bedroom center speaker is now where the right speaker was and left is up next to cabinet where sub is located rears are in original locations. It was a bit of a job but still only took a couple of days. well worth the effort in my opinion.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
When you replaced your surround sound how did you hook up the speakers that are in the bedroom? On the Quest you have a A and B or both switch. Did you just do away with that function? Can anybody help with this?
cjenks234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am doing away with the bedroom speakers. Going to install something different in the bedroom that will allow me to play cd's and radio from up there. Would rather have that than go down to the living room to adjust the volume and change the cd all the time.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I rewired the bedroom speakers to the bedroom TV. We can now hear the TV at a lower volume level as TV speaker does not face forward.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
Fred,
How do you get to the wiring on the bedroom speakers to connect to the tv? Try to fill me in if you can. Is it hard to hook up the bedroom tv to them?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
Charlie
I hope I can explain so you can understand. I first removed the speakers, the trim from the roof vent, TV & ceiling light. I pulled a new wire for each speaker to roof vent opening ( I used a piece of 1/8" welding rod) . From there I pulled the wire to the TV cabinet there was a hole in the ceiling in the cabinet.the runs from speakers to vent were easy the run to the TV cabinet was a bit tough as you have to get past the ceiling joist actually ran wires to light wire access hole first.I bought two 1/8" male spade connectors to connect to TV speaker wires these wires are about 2' long they are then connectd to speaker wries with butt connectors.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
Sounds like it's just of a matter of fishing the wires through. Ok,sounds like a good ideal for the use of the speakers. Thanks Fred, I may just have to check into. I'm also updating my surround sound with a Sony system (DAV-DZ100) Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
I replaced the fantastic Quest system with a Sony DAV-BC150. The speakers are a little larger than the Quest's so I had to make up some L brackets for the ceiling speakers. I also bought a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers and a multi-speaker switcher. This switcher will allow up to four pairs of speakers to be driven at the same time or in any combination. It automatically adjusts for differences in impedence. Works very well. Believe it or not, it is a Quest.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #13
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I swapped my Quest for a Sony DAV-DX150 today what a difference. No hiss out of the rear speakers and I don,t have to reset everything when I unplug the Montana. Took an hour. I am thinking about installing a car stereo to run the 2 bedroom speakers which I will replace with good ones and then putting 2 speakers in the living area. I like to listen to radio and CDs with out having to run the Gen. I am also considering installing an inverter and was wondering if anyone has one and how they like it. I would do this inplace of the car stereo maybe. Also what model inverter do you recomend?
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also replaced the Quest with a Sony 5 CD changer. It may be the same one that everyone else has. I replaced the woofer with the sony woofer. I then moved the three sony speakers down on our desk and disconnected the quest speakers below the TV. The sony speakers are larger than the quest speakers. The rear speakers were replaced with the sony speakers by splicing into the existing quest wires. Sounds and works great. I gave my quest to my grandson in college. He can do what ever he wants with it.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We had a QR2000, never even used it. Just went down to Circuit City and Bought a Samsung Home Theater System
with a built in AM & FM tuner. Replaced all the Speakers with the ones that came with the Samsung unit. Even the base speaker. When I was taking the QR2000 System out, I noticed that the left & right rear speakers were twisted together with the left and right Front Speakers. So you never even really had true surround sound. I had to cut the front speaker openings to fit the new speakers, ( the new ones are about a 3 X 4 1/2 " in size. This system just about sounds as good as the one in our stick house. We will have to camp in the bushes or people will be coming around telling us to turn it down a little. Not bad for a couple of hundred bucks. Always will be hard to get AM radio in a fiberglass trailer.
No ground plane for an exterior mounted antenna to work with.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I put the Sony Home theatre DVD/5Disc Changer in my unit. I am still in the process of getting the speaker wires ran and its getting complicated since my unit did not come with a surround sound installed.
Thanks for the bedroom sterios/tv speaker idea. I was just going t oleave them unhooked.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #17
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Brought our home system with when we left South Dakota. Took a little time because I had to run the RCA wire for the Subwoofer and new set of front speaker wires. Routing them under the slide so they would not be in the way and look more professional. The system I am running consists of Kenwood VR8070, 7.1 surround sound reciever, Bose' cube speakers with center channel speaker, Athena 8 inch powered sub, LG HD DVD player, and my 20 gig MP3 player. For the rear speakers and the bedroom speakers used the existing wiring.

Very happy with the way the install went took some time but well worth it. I had quite a bit invested in this surround system already. Just couldn't let it sit in storage or sell it for a dime on the dollar. One thing is if you do have to route your wiring to accomidate a slide, plan way more wire than it seems you would need. To run my speaker wiring it took close to 100 feet of wire. The sub RCA wire was around 40 ft.

Remember the.........
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote