Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
6 Volt Golf Cart AGM Batteries Question

Since I do "Boondock" a few times a year, I'm considering switching from a single 12 Volt Deep Cycle Battery to (2)6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries wired in series. I would like to get the AH increase provided by the (2) 6V G.C. batteries. My question is: Has anyone on the MOC Forum installed this type of setup using AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) 6V G.C. batteries? I like the idea of a "No-Spill", and safer "Non-Explosion" style of battery, that doesn't require refilling. Another concern I have is: Will the converter be able to fully charge this style of battery, when hooked to shore power? Or will I need to install a different more powerful charger to fully utilize the batteries?. As far as the boondocking trips, I'll probably buy the 12v charge cable for my Honda EU2000i Generator, so I can put a direct charge on the batteries, without the converter.

Any, and all Info appreciated

JP

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
JP,

Here are acouple of links I had saved in my favorites regarding the various battery requirements. I am looking for another link I had that discussed charging requirements for the various battery types. If I locate I will post it. I remember reading that the AGM has very specific requirements that prevent it from boiling and off-gassing which is important since they are typically used in enclosed areas.

Anyway, here are the links I have found so far:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/pdfs/1081.pdf

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
As I remember, the Honda is limited to about 8 amps of charging current and doesn't have any tapered charge capability. I think you would be much better off buying an ac charger that will suit the particular batteries you get, plus will charge at a much higher rate, if necessary.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
jpbcny: Why don't you go with one 12V Lifeline AGM battery? A little more expensive than the golf cart batteries but will last a lot longer. My solar panel installer told me he would install golf cart batteries if I insisted but he recommended the 12V Lifeline batteries. Incidentally, he has about 300 acres down in Lake City, FL that is all powered by solar.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I am thinking about going to the Lifeline battery, they have both 12v and 6v golf cart batteries available.

I noticed today that there is a accessory available for the Iota converter to make it a variable rate charger, I am going to take a look at that too.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I added the smart charger to my Iota converter, and it changes it from a two level charge to a three level charge that better maintains the batteries over a long period of time. I'm not sure that is designed for the AGM battery, though. The AGM and gel type batteries both require a lower charge and float voltage than the standard lead-acid battery. I'd check with Iota to see if they have a plug in for the AGM batteries.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

JP,

Here are acouple of links I had saved in my favorites regarding the various battery requirements. I am looking for another link I had that discussed charging requirements for the various battery types. If I locate I will post it. I remember reading that the AGM has very specific requirements that prevent it from boiling and off-gassing which is important since they are typically used in enclosed areas.

Anyway, here are the links I have found so far:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/pdfs/1081.pdf

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html
Thanks for the Links, they make for very intersting reading...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

As I remember, the Honda is limited to about 8 amps of charging current and doesn't have any tapered charge capability. I think you would be much better off buying an ac charger that will suit the particular batteries you get, plus will charge at a much higher rate, if necessary.

Bob
It appears I'll have to do some more research on the Honda's 12V Output capabilities...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

jpbcny: Why don't you go with one 12V Lifeline AGM battery? A little more expensive than the golf cart batteries but will last a lot longer. My solar panel installer told me he would install golf cart batteries if I insisted but he recommended the 12V Lifeline batteries. Incidentally, he has about 300 acres down in Lake City, FL that is all powered by solar.
Orv
The reason for using 6V G.C. batteries would be to have batteries, that are designed for extreme industrial/commercial usage, with increased amphere hour ratings that a single 12V Marine/Deep Cycle Battery can't match, and you can buy a battery box that is capable of holding both batteries in a single enclosure...

As I've only had the 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS a short time, I don't even know what type of converter I have, and whether it capable of installing different charging modules. Well it seems I have a lot of research to finish before committing to any purchase, fortunately I don't have a Boondocking trip planned until August, which gives plenty of time...

Thanks again for all the responses, and valuable information

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I note the following quotations from one of the links provided by fulltimedreamer:

I've used golf cart batteries, regular batteries and gels. As I'll repeat with more detail elsewhere, golf carts and similar batteries are, all things considered, the best solution. Were I to have to replace my batteries today (they're in the living compartment in a small RV), I'd go with AGM. In a bigger RV, I'd go with golf cart or fork lift batteries.

and:

For over a year, I tested three "sets" of batteries at the same time, using each on alternate days. 2 Sears Die Hards, 2 Goulds ActionPac, 2 Trojan T-105 golf carts. I won't go into detail here. Conclusion was that the Golf Carts were superior in every category (including cost).

Such comments led me to choose 2 6 volt Trogan 105 'golf cart' batteries for my Montana. Plenty of room for other opinions and preferences, of course.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote