Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Refig external drip line problem

Mine is so brittle that it breaks off a chuck every time it is bumped.

Is this normal? How hard is it to replace and with what?

First look says I can not reach the connect point on the fridge to put on a whole new line.

Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I looked at mine, touched it and it fell apart, couldn't see how to replace it ewasily, so I closed up the door and had a beer...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
I have a 2007 Monty 2955RL, the cheap plastic drain hose on our fridge finally got so brittle
from all the time in the sun, it broke off last year.
To repair, start by taking the little drip tray out from under the cooling fins on the inside of the fridge. There is a little spout there on the left side which leads the condensate from the drip tray, down the corrugated hose, and outside the vent panel and onto the ground.
Carefully twist the little spout and pull it out. There will probably be some sealer on it, clean this off. I then took the spout and went off to Home Depot and got some clear plastic hose
that just fits nice and tight on the outside of the spout.
I seem to recall I bought 2 feet of the clear plastic hose, and soaked the end in hot water to soften it, and then it slipped onto the spout quite easy. You now need to feed the hose
through the back wall of the fridge, and down the outside of the working parts of the fridge. At this point you might want to have the dear little woman with a flash light checking where the hose is coming down from above and making sure it doesn't end up permanently against some of the parts which might be hot. I placed a small bit of silicon
sealer on underside of the flange at the back of the spout. To make sure it stayed there,
I carefully drilled a small hole near the bottom of the spout fitting, and then secured it to
the back wall of the fridge with a small stainless steel screw.
On the outer end of the old piece of drain hose there should have been a small screen device to prevent critters from crawling up there. Remove it and then install it in the new hose. Cut the hose so that it protrudes through the venting slots in the outside fridge vent. i think this job took be about 30 minutes and under $2 to fix.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks klash!
I've saved your fix to my book of fixes. I expect I may need it someday.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It is amazing how much difference there is between Montana rigs. We have a 2002 model rig and have never had any problem with the drain hose. But I have seen others that seemed to fall apart when you simply looked at it! Same experience with the decals. Except this time I'm on the losing end. Oh, well! Guess it is just the luck of the draw. Very interesting.

By the way some folks have had good luck with getting the clear plastic tube for the replacement. seems to last OK and can be purchased at any local hardware store.

Travel safely, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I did the about same thing as klash. But I did install a pvc ptrap in the hose. Helps keep the warm air from going back into the fridge.. every little bit helps.
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I just happened to have a picture of the drain. I suppose the new ones are the same or similar. It actually locks in place, and can be a booger to remove.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Thanks for the info. Looks like I have another project.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have replaced mine in a similar way as Klash.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
I need a little more advice. I have the everything removed except the hose itself. From the top there seems no way to push and pulling from the bottom is getting me no where. My thought at this point is get some hose that will fit inside the original which will be vary small. For those who have done this in the past any clue as to how to get the reaming chuck of hose out of the way. I sure do not want to pull the frige out.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 2006 is still good....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Got everything out now. There was a ZIP tie that was not trimmed and was holding things up. I had a little luck in that the top end of the tube did not break and was able to pull it out. Now to get some parts and put it back together. Thanks all for the help.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I used the clear hose also and got it extra long so I could make a loop at the bottom then up and out the vent screen. The loop in the bottom makes a P trap. I agree with lfw, every little bit helps.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Dealer did mine at his Ralley last summer. The technician removed the screws that hold the freg in place, think couple inside at top and then at the bottom from the outside. He slide the unit into the camper a few inches to give him room to reach up to the drip pan from the outside and installed the new hose. Only took him a few minutes to do it, but it was not his firt time.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I looked at mine, touched it and it fell apart, couldn't see how to replace it ewasily, so I closed up the door and had a beer...
Seems to be a pattern developing here Ozz.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Seems to be a pattern developing here Ozz.
I really don't drink that much, I may go a week without having a drink. Today for lunch we ate at P.F.Changs, I ordered a beer before dinner, didn't even finish that. I don't drink at all after I eat, maybe one or two in the afternoon if I feel like it.

Joe, thanks for bringing up this theread, I will tackle mine one of these days, it really should have one.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I was just joking and giving you a hard time. Hence the smiley icon. Didn't mean to offend. Thought I had been around here long enough to do that, sorry.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
I don't understand why the dealer had to repair the fridge drain line for Cyrus by removing the fridge out a bit. As Slick Willie showed in his thread, one simply pulls out the drain spout. It was stuck in with some goop, but I kept wiggling and pulling and out it came, and the old
hose came out with it. I put the new clear hose on the barbed fitting, added some butyl tape as a sealant, and put it back into the hole from inside the fridge. You may want to ensure that the new hose isn't touching any of the fridge components that may be hot.
This is a 30 minute job max.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

I was just joking and giving you a hard time. Hence the smiley icon. Didn't mean to offend. Thought I had been around here long enough to do that, sorry.
Oh, I wasn't. I knew what you meant, ( a joke) and was good with it, I just got to thinking that some people could get the idea that all I do is drink. Actually in my trade, (former trade) a refrigeration, A/C service man, servicing bars there are many of my fellow tradesman that are drunks.
You can joke with me anytime, I dish it out, I better be able to take it .
Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
FYI. I had to drop down to 3/8 line and used boiling water to stretch the line end over the frig catch cup barb. It was that or drill out the hole in the back of the frig to allow the 1/2 line to pass through.

Things are a tight fit now. Could be a real problem if the catch cup needs to be pulled out again for some reason.

Thanks again for all the advice and experience sharing.