Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Accessing the step hardware

We recently purchased a Mountaineer 329RLT and did not notice at the time that the metal supporting the fold-down steps was damaged.

The steps appear to bolt to a metal frame that has a large tab bent downwards (on either side of the steps). Two bolts on either side go through the frame of the steps into these tabs.

The tab on the left side is split where it bends, almost halfway across, and this damage causes the left side of the steps to be springy when you use them. It's probably making the damage worse with every trip up or down the stairs, too. The steps themselves do not appear to be damaged, rather the frame (of the RV??) is damaged.

Anyway, my thought is that, if I were able to get access to the bolts & nuts, I could drop the steps and attempt a welding repair to this bend in the frame. But the fiberglass along the bottom of the side of the RV would have to be loosened/removed. There isn't enough room for me to get hands or tools in to reach the nuts.

Am I getting in over my head here? How much damage could I do trying to remove these side panels?

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Steve, are you sure that is not thin sheet metal instead of fiberglass. We have the 303RLD, and I just looked at my neighbor's 328RLT (both Mountaineers), and they both have metal around that area. If metal, you should be able to take the screws out of the frame, and push it back far enough to access the steps where the angle attaches to the frame(I beam). Careful though, as some of those edges are like razor blades.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Hmmm...

I'll take a closer look. Thanks, Will!

It's painted, like fiberglass.... duhhh...
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote