Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Stan Jackson

M.O.C. #20655
Hurricane preparation

My unit is in Port Aransas, Texas. Had to quickly pull it out prior to Harvey. Passed at least 50 units in the first 30 miles with blow outs. I only had 2 due to valve stem issues. Had a maintenance guy give me a thought. I bought 4 six ton Jack Stands and plan to Jack the tires up until there is very little or no pressure on the tires. Then I will use the auto leveling system to level. No flat spots on the radials. Anyone have thoughts on why this wouldn't work well?

Stan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
50 units in thirty miles with blowouts and you had two? Weight off tires on permanent site smart idea, but would bet old tires/ low air pressure primary cause of those blowouts you described, rather than flat spots on the tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Concur with Mike. I would guess a lot of these rigs had not moved in awhile and/or had old under inflated rubber. Tires need to be replaced and valve stems replaced or rebuilt every 4 years or so regardless of wear. Need to confirm the correct tire pressure before rolling. Jacking up tires for long term storage is not a bad thing but not a substitute for replacing aged tires.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Stan Jackson

M.O.C. #20655
Hurricane Preparation

Correct, most units probably had tires that had sidewall rot. My tires were factory tires that were 2.5 years old. I blew out my valve stems while airing up prior to leaving our resort. I now have 4 new tires, spare, and heavy duty valve stems. I hope I never have to run from a storm again, but I want to lessen the stress if I have to. The idea sounds good, but I don't know if it might cause other issues. We outran Nate on the Liberty of the Seas on Thursday. That's two in a month!!
Stan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We don't have many natural disasters here in AZ and there is plenty of room. And its a dry heat!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote