Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
SCT Programmer

Anyone here use the SCT programmer on their TV?

Looking at getting one for my Ford F350 6.0.

Would like some feedback.

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
I have a SCT X4 tuner for my 2006 F350. I had to get it do get rid of the engine light when I deleted my EGR. I bought it and 3 custom tunes from Matt at Gearhead Automotive Performance. I got the Unlimited Tow, 8K tow, and SRL tunes. I highly recommend custom tunes instead of "canned" tunes for your truck. I use the unlimited tow tune almost all the time with mine. I have used the SRL (street race light) a little, but it is too tempting to run it hard because it was so much faster, so I usually just have the tow tune installed. Matt's tunes have zero to very little smoke, transmission shifts are firmer but not neck breaking, and they are designed for your truck depending on how many performance items, if any, are installed. Some of the other tuners have caused problems because of being too hard on the transmissions.
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Jody at DP Tuner does good tunes.

Tom Marty
Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MHC305RL

I have a SCT X4 tuner for my 2006 F350. I had to get it do get rid of the engine light when I deleted my EGR. I bought it and 3 custom tunes from Matt at Gearhead Automotive Performance. I got the Unlimited Tow, 8K tow, and SRL tunes. I highly recommend custom tunes instead of "canned" tunes for your truck. I use the unlimited tow tune almost all the time with mine. I have used the SRL (street race light) a little, but it is too tempting to run it hard because it was so much faster, so I usually just have the tow tune installed. Matt's tunes have zero to very little smoke, transmission shifts are firmer but not neck breaking, and they are designed for your truck depending on how many performance items, if any, are installed. Some of the other tuners have caused problems because of being too hard on the transmissions.
Thanks, I found is custom tunes on the internet. I will check it out.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
This might seem like a stupid question, but if I have my truck programmed for "Towing" do I need to place my truck into "Tow" Mode?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
Yes, you should always have the truck in tow/haul mode while towing to get the benefits of the transmission helping to slow you down.

First question is, are you looking for more power? I had to buy the tuner because of my EGR delete. I probably would not have bought one if it not for that. I use the tow unlimited tune to keep things safe. The next level tow tune, for un-studded trucks, is 8k or 13k if studded. My rig is pushing 12k, so even if I was studded, I'm not sure I would push it that hard. If you are wanting to push it, you absolutely need to get a pyrometer for the exhaust manifold so you can keep an eye on Exhaust Gas Temperatures. That is the main killer of too much tuning while towing is EGTs too high.

There is a wealth of information at Ford-Trucks.com and Powerstroke.org. I would suggest spending some time in the 6.0 forums to learn the important things to know about these engines.
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote