Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Cargo carrier for generator

We have a 3931FB. Looking to purchase a Westinghouse igen4500. For those of you that have 100# generators, where do you put them? We’re thinking of purchasing a cargo carrier similar to this
https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb...SABEgItmfD_BwE

Will it be sturdy enough? I really don’t want to be lifting it in/out of the bed of the truck. Plus there isn’t much room because I installed a 40 gallon tank/toolbox behind the cab.

Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
I’m curious in the answers here too. But on my Montana I believe the 2” hitch is only rated for 300lbs hitch weight.

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 AM   #3
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
You don't usually hear the words Harbor Freight, heavy duty and sturdy in the same sentence.

Nuff Said.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:41 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Try a search for “rear cargo carrier”...22 pages of threads come up. I read thru a few of the more recent threads. Found an interesting solution with pics in one thread from September 2020 by user jbs5717. Search for his posts to find this one. My internet connection is sketchy right now and I could not upload the pic.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Mine stays in the bed of the truck. I have a flexible tube connected to the exhaust so I can direct the exhaust away from the truck and 5er. I use a 30 amp cord with adaptor to connect to the 5er. works great for us when we make rest stops at truck stops, Walmart, or rest areas.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, which hitch did you purchase with your Montana? They make a towing hitch and an accessory hitch. You should be fine with the towing hitch. But, be aware that generators are a favorite target of thieves. Talking generators is like saying which hitch or truck is best. The answer is what works best for you. We started with a single Honda 2000 about 15 years ago. It is still running great. Later, we added a second unit and the parallel kit. This gave us a lot of flexibility. If we only need a little power, we run one generator. If we want to run AC or need to charge the batteries, we can run both. Plus, I built a cage that has a 2” steel bar running through the handles and a 6 gallon tank that sits between the two generators. Plus, the generators stay with us and aren’t sitting there tempting a thief. It looks like that Westinghouse is a nice unit. Choose what works for you. Remember, in RVing there are very few right or wrong solutions. It’s about what works for you.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
First, which hitch did you purchase with your Montana? They make a towing hitch and an accessory hitch. You should be fine with the towing hitch. But, be aware that generators are a favorite target of thieves. Talking generators is like saying which hitch or truck is best. The answer is what works best for you. We started with a single Honda 2000 about 15 years ago. It is still running great. Later, we added a second unit and the parallel kit. This gave us a lot of flexibility. If we only need a little power, we run one generator. If we want to run AC or need to charge the batteries, we can run both. Plus, I built a cage that has a 2” steel bar running through the handles and a 6 gallon tank that sits between the two generators. Plus, the generators stay with us and aren’t sitting there tempting a thief. It looks like that Westinghouse is a nice unit. Choose what works for you. Remember, in RVing there are very few right or wrong solutions. It’s about what works for you.
I will just say on my 2021 montana the factory hitch is rate for 300lbs tongue weight and 3000 lbs towing(triples) if anyone has the balls to do that behind a 41 foot fiver. LOL

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
Old 02-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I can't imagine the forces a 100 plus pounds of generator would produce at the end of the long lever arm and a carrier hung off the back of that trailer at every road bump and heave. Every time the trailer goes up, negative G forces until it stops and adds plus G forces, reverses and does the same on the way down, probably with even higher numbers. That genset then will, with those plus G forces weigh in at well over that static 100 pounds.

Carry the genset in the truck or in the front compartment that was designd for that weight.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:37 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Long before we purchased our Cummings Onan P4500i generators (2 of them), I considered if my previous cargo carrier would work. This from my previous travel trailer, a Keystone Outback:

But, I had a couple issues going on with my Montana fifth wheel. First, if I used the cargo carrier, it would block my rear storage compartment. In order to access anything from the storage, the cargo carrier would have to be removed first. Second, was the weight limit. As stated above, the "G" forces would have ripped off the hitch, with nothing even in the carrier.

So, along with the search for the right generator, we debated the built in vs the portable. The portable eventually won, simply because the built in Cummings demand too much propane. So, the problem of weight for the portable ones.

The bottom line was, if I wanted the generator to do a specific job, I just had to accept the weight and figure out a way to deal with it.

We purchased the Cummings Onan P4500i (2 of them for full 50 amp availability).

First, loaded with fuel, they are over 100 pounds. I tried putting one in the front cargo, and I was able to get it in there, but it took all I had to do that. At 66 years old now, I'm just not as strong as I use to be. Only once did I try and never again.

That left the bed of the truck. But even that was daunting to lift over 100 pounds, and I just don't have that type of strength any more.

Problem solved. This works. One on each side of the end of the truck bed.

Yes, with 2 of them they do take up space. You have to make the decision, what is the most important items you travel with. If the generator is most important to you, then you may need to down size that tool box, or leave it behind and strip down the number of tools you carry with you. Or remove the tools and use that space for camping storage.

But this solved my "lifting" problem and I can now comfortably carry both generators with us.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I can't imagine the forces a 100 plus pounds of generator would produce at the end of the long lever arm and a carrier hung off the back of that trailer at every road bump and heave. Every time the trailer goes up, negative G forces until it stops and adds plus G forces, reverses and does the same on the way down, probably with even higher numbers. That genset then will, with those plus G forces weigh in at well over that static 100 pounds.

Carry the genset in the truck or in the front compartment that was design for that weight.
Staying with in the design limits of the rear hitch when is the last time any one heard of a hitch failing on the back of a Montana. It`s the people that bolt a hitch receiver to a bumper that have problems. Put your generator back there and go have fun.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If the hitch is rated for X amount and the carrier is rated for X amount, stay within the lightest rating and use it. Any forces positive or negative are factored into the weight ratings. As previously mentioned, thieves are the biggest concern. That is the only reason I can think of to buy a brand x generator. Otherwise, get good stuff and enclose it, and have good insurance.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Staying with in the design limits of the rear hitch when is the last time any one heard of a hitch failing on the back of a Montana. It`s the people that bolt a hitch receiver to a bumper that have problems. Put your generator back there and go have fun.

Where did I mention hitch failure?
Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think the OP is having problems in two areas: Conserving the bed of his truck, and lifting a 100 (plus) pound item. So he's asking about a rear carrier for his camper. I think most of the pros and cons are addressed here from everyone, giving him decisions to weigh against each other now. (pros and cons).

But to add one more variable into the mix, even if the OP uses a carrier on the back of the trailer, he STILL has to lift it up to get it on the carrier. Granted, it's not as much "lift" as "lifting" into the bed of a pick-up truck, but still, it's a job that's much easier with 2 people.

If the OP is like me, he doesn't want to depend on someone else to do these types of things. And good reason too. Face it. Most of us want to be 100% independent, and do not have to depend on a second person. Face it, there's just some unwritten code among us men: 1) Don't touch my Truck. 2) Don't touch my camper. 3) Don't touch my generator. And FOURTH on the list ... Don't touch my wife!!!!! (well ... some of us anyway!)

So, this is my additional comment! Even if you get the carrier, you still have to lift it onto the carrier. Consider a ramp and a generator that has wheels. It absolutely saves your back.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Long before we purchased our Cummings Onan P4500i generators (2 of them), I considered if my previous cargo carrier would work. This from my previous travel trailer, a Keystone Outback:

But, I had a couple issues going on with my Montana fifth wheel. First, if I used the cargo carrier, it would block my rear storage compartment. In order to access anything from the storage, the cargo carrier would have to be removed first. Second, was the weight limit. As stated above, the "G" forces would have ripped off the hitch, with nothing even in the carrier.

So, along with the search for the right generator, we debated the built in vs the portable. The portable eventually won, simply because the built in Cummings demand too much propane. So, the problem of weight for the portable ones.

The bottom line was, if I wanted the generator to do a specific job, I just had to accept the weight and figure out a way to deal with it.

We purchased the Cummings Onan P4500i (2 of them for full 50 amp availability).

First, loaded with fuel, they are over 100 pounds. I tried putting one in the front cargo, and I was able to get it in there, but it took all I had to do that. At 66 years old now, I'm just not as strong as I use to be. Only once did I try and never again.

That left the bed of the truck. But even that was daunting to lift over 100 pounds, and I just don't have that type of strength any more.

Problem solved. This works. One on each side of the end of the truck bed.

Yes, with 2 of them they do take up space. You have to make the decision, what is the most important items you travel with. If the generator is most important to you, then you may need to down size that tool box, or leave it behind and strip down the number of tools you carry with you. Or remove the tools and use that space for camping storage.

But this solved my "lifting" problem and I can now comfortably carry both generators with us.

Do you travel with them between the hitch and tailgate and the underside of the fiver. Always have been worried about wind turbulence there.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I saw this was referenced earlier. I made my own cargo carrier, removed the OEM hitch and bolted it in the same location. If you have a decent welder and local steel yard it's fairly simple to build. I don't know what the weight rating is but it's very sturdy with almost no movement. The most I've carried on it is about 200#.

I also just bought a 70# 4000/3500 inverter genny that I will be carrying back there. I don't anticipate a problem. Since the RV plug is also in the rear that will make using it simple with a 50 to 30 adapter and a short, 10', 30A cable. I also plan to build an insulated box for it to keep it dry and minimize the noise while still allowing for it to breathe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_150940.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	8492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_151013.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	8493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_150913.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	8494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	8495   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC1.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	8496  

jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
. Face it, there's just some unwritten code among us men: 1) Don't touch my Truck. 2) Don't touch my camper. 3) Don't touch my generator. And FOURTH on the list ... Don't touch my wife!!!!! (well ... some of us anyway!)

In that order
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #17
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
FWIW, it's hard to beat this price, with free shipping, for a decent RV genny. We don't boondock. But we have been in parks when they loose power. It's usually been only for a few hours...a little over a day on one occasion. That's what we would use the genny for so not a lot of continuous use...just for backup. Since it's just for backup I figured I didn't need to carry a heavy genny, or 2 gennys just to get 50 amps. We can do just fine on 30 amps. In fact, sometimes that's all that's available in some parks anyway. YMMV

https://wenproducts.com/products/400...rter-generator
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Where did I mention hitch failure?
Didn`t say you did sport, but ok go with the tray, Don`t remember ever reading about one failing with a gen of any weight on the back of a Montana.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
Empty Nest
Established Member

M.O.C. #20737
Cargo carrier

We used the cargo carrier from E trailer for the exact same Ginny. Part number is e99050. We added the bumper support brackets as well. Low enough to load easily and a short run of power cord if I want to leave it on the rack. One note is that you will need to add flooring to support the gen easily, either expanded metal or diamond plate... only issue we had is that our rear bumper sits so close to the coach Icant flip up the rack.
Empty Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Didn`t say you did sport, but ok go with the tray, Don`t remember ever reading about one failing with a gen of any weight on the back of a Montana.

Sport?? Rude and condescending . YTou might want to look at the sites rules