Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2024, 01:11 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The Adventure Continues

For my first 3 months at Oakley Plantation, see this post: What would you do?

Well, ... My wife and I, and our 2 doggies returned to Oakley Plantation (Audubon State Historic Site, near St. Francisville, Louisiana) yesterday (April 29). We'll be here for the months of May and June. (See the link above for some photos, scroll down through the thread for the events and activities I was engaged in).

Before we left Indiana, I had the 100,000 miles "make over" done on my Chevy Silverado, including new tires. Put me back $3500. Then the trailer brake message came on (I was not towing), and that ended up costing me another $250. But, the truck is in great shape now.

Soooooo....

We arrived at Oakley Plantation (Louisiana) with no incidents after 2 previous days traveling.

We left Indiana and traveled to Paducah, Kentucky (355 Miles) where we stayed for an overnight at the KOA there. This was pretty much a typical KOA, not the type of place I’d select for a “destination” campground, but the location is right in the middle of Land Between the Lakes National Recreation area. So, there is plenty to do in the surrounding area if one did want to use this location for a destination campground. Again, the KOA itself is a pretty typical KOA. It was run by some very friendly people and other campers there for an overnight were all pretty respectful, including turning outside lights off at night.

The worst part about the drive for day #1 was actually getting out of Indiana. What a stinking mess Indiana is with their roads. The Interstaters are beyond horrible, and no matter where one tries to travel on secondary or US Highways, there are detours. The path we attempted to take (this time), was to miss going around Indianapolis completely because road construction is going on EVERYWHERE!

So we went completely out of our way to by-pass Indianapolis. Only thing was, it was detoured and then the detour had a detour, and (Honestly!!!!) …. The detoured detour had a detour! Instead of heading South, we were forced to keep going West! It took us 5 hours to get OUT of Indiana and into Kentucky! Indiana just sucks!

Travel day 2 (about 335 miles) was much more rewarding, but our journey led us through Kentucky, then Tennessee, skipped along the edge of Missouri, then Arkansas, and then back into Tennessee (another detour around Memphis) and finally on-ward South on I-55. We were following I-69 and then I-55 along the Mississippi River corridor. BUT! The wind was beyond awful. We had extremely head on winds. My fuel mileage barely got above 8 mph, when normally I’d be getting 10 – 11 or more when towing.

But, we made it to Hugh White State Park in Mississippi at the end of day 2 travel. (Sunday evening). At Hugh White State Park, we were only 1 of 4 campsites occupied, one being the camp host. It is peaceful and quiet there. And because we did not have a camper beside us, we got the 50 amp plug!

So, day 3 (about 240 miles) had it’s challenges also. I always unhitch when doing an overnight so the Montana will always be level. But, for whatever reason, I absolutely could not get the truck and trailer aligned correctly to hitch up. I still don’t know why I such issues. I just couldn’t get it right. Finally I got hitch and all was OK.

We arrive at St. Francisville (Oakley Plantation) – Audubon State Historic Site, about 2:00 pm (local time) and got set up. Walked the dogs, remembered why I love this place so much as I walked the ground, and stood amazed at how lush and green (and weedy) everything got over the last month while we were gone.

I met with some of the park staff and get the “scoop” on what’s happening over the next few days and got an initial briefing. My “order” for my period dated clothing also came from what I ordered from Townsends. (https://www.townsends.us/). I know, I could have worn period dated clothing from their stock room, but I really wanted my own. So, here’s what I look like now:

We are at Oakley Plantation for the months of May and June. Then July 1 through August 31 we’ll be in North Carolina.

I’m already on the work list. I’m doing house tours tomorrow (Wednesday, May 1). I’m so pumped-up! I’m about ready to explode!

Audubon State Historic Site is really nice right now. All February and March flowers are gone, but everything is so lush green right now. Indiana is JUST now getting green. Some trees are still bare.

It’s currently 82 degrees here! I’m enjoying this warmth! It feel soooooo good!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:53 PM   #2
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Hello,
DW and I are glad you have reached your destination! Looks .ike a fun place to be.
Tod
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:14 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I spent the Summer when I was 7 years old in Paducah with my aunt and uncle. I was a little country boy that had never been more than 15 miles from home before. What an adventure for a little country boy. The Land Between the Lakes is one of my favorites places.
Thanks for the update. Looking for more, always enjoy them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Update!

It's HOT outside! But I love it. Temps reaching 90 (plus) in Louisiana now. The dog's aren't use to this weather at all. I guess coming from Indiana they are more acclimated to cold weather. They want to go outside so much, stand at the windows and bark at all the little critters outside and ramp and rave at ever noise they hear. But, when they step outside they immediately "potty" and turn around and want back inside! It's too hot for them I guess.

I've been doing house tours. Wearing my "outfit" sure is hot. I did learn that in the early 1800's there was no such thing as "short sleeved shirts". My shirt is long enough to use for a night gown. It goes clear below my knees and all of that material has to be tucked inside the pants. So, it's HOT wearing that thing.

Someone suggested simply rolling up sleaves, even though that would not have been done in 1821, it's better than wearing a contemporary plain shirt or sweating to death with the long sleaves. So I did and it was much better.

Found out, removing the undergarments helped a lot too! (oopes, maybe that was too much information for you all!) Did they wear actual "underware" back in the day? I really don't know! But I do know they had on several layers of material!

When not doing house tours, I had a couple flower beds I've taken personal responsibility for, so I water them daily now. And I'm building some Civil War style medical boxes. They wanted them customized for specific needs, but wanted them styled after the Civil War field medical boxes. So, this has been keeping me busy. I'm actually enjoying building the boxes, as they have a really, really nice industrial table saw I've been using and a bunch of shop tools... allowing me to keep using my carpentry skills. It's really fun doing this.

In addition, I still walk the property as much as I can and report issues, problems, trees with broken branches, and anything else of significance that might be a danger to visiting guests and tourists to the site.

Once I get those boxes done, I'll post some photos of them.

Unfortunately, they are loosing 2 of their employees. The lady on the cashier's register is moving to a different location, as she actually works for State Tourism division and not not the State Parks division. And the second is leaving the State Parks completely to take a new position with the National Parks system. Also, a 3rd "volunteer", who is very instrumental in helping to keep things going at this site is having surgery soon and will be unavailable for a few weeks. So, by the end of the month, the park will be down 3 people. (There's only 10 actual employees of the "state" working here, everyone else is volunteer). Three of those ten are maintenance, but the 3 they are loosing is really throwing a "crimp" on things.

Hint, Hint! I hear that other Louisiana State Historic Sites are having a "people" shortage also, volunteers and staff So, here's a great opportunity for someone if you are interested in this type of thing!

As far as I know though, Audubon is the only "historic site" to offers a free, full hook-up campsite. But there are still plenty of other State Parks that have conventional camp hosts too.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote