Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Front AC wiring to plug into 20 amp

Has any one wired their front ac where they can run an extension cord from camp ground pedestal 20 amp. This is something you would do if you are camped at a location with only 30 amp hook up and you need to run both acs in summer. This is a common thing where you are camping at coe parks. I have done this before but I now have a new 2020 3813 and its a different set up completely. Having problems figuring out wiring from breaker to ac

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
This is something that I'm planning on doing when our unit is out of its first year of warranty.

But, I'm going to actually install a second 30A shore power port. Then, I'll use a double pole / single throw 30A switch so that I can switch from regular 50A power to the 30A power source, depending on where we are at. This means that I don't have to undo / redo anything at the breaker panel. While I haven't looked at the wiring coming out of the current breaker panel, I would think that there is a breaker for the front A/C and it is the only thing on that breaker, so locating the source wire to the front shouldn't be too difficult.

How have you done this in the past? I would think that this should be very much the same on the new campers. Again, I haven't taken my breaker panel apart at this point to see what it looks like in there, but I don't expect any surprises (with at least the way that it's wired)...
Old 05-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we added our third AC we wired it on it's own circut with it's own breaker in the basement so it runs off a 30amp plug on the side of the rig. If we need to use it on a 20amp outlet we just use a dog bone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I located the breaker for the front ac no problem but from the breaker it goes into what looks like a junction box just behind the breaker box along with the back ac wire but it is more than a junction box. It has a printed circuit board in it. From there it goes up into a wall and into the ceiling and on to the acs
Old 05-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I've stayed at a lot of COE campgrounds and all have had 50A service.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Come to Okla or Ark if a park has 60 spots maybe 10 will be 50 amp and a lot of out of the way small parks have 30 amp only