Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #121
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We drive through Florida Montana in tow twice a year every year on our way to and from our winter residence. We never move the Montana once setup for the winter and use the truck as little as possible since we have our Car with us. We travel I 4 on a regular bases car and TRuck and have never been stopped for any reason.

I don't know about Florida law concerning towing for hire but you do need a CDL to pull for a transport company in Indiana . I had a CDL for many years.

If a fellow MOC member asked me to tow his Montana home because he is unable to drive and we do not charge for the service we are not pulling for hire and do not need a CDL. If my Local RV dealer asks me to pick up a RV for him in Goshen Ind using the dealers truck we need a CDL.

BTW my job description as a airways facilities Tech for the FAA included the statement that I could testify as a expert on aviation matters within my specialty .I never had to and I was no expert and that is all I know about that.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #122
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Sometimes it’s better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
If I ever go to Florida I’ll drive my truck and if I do something wrong I just pay the fine. I really don’t care what they do. It’s not a hanging offense and they don’t put you in jail.
Lynwood
Amen, I was just in Florida over the summer, didn’t even give it a thought, just did my thing drive safe and let the chips fall where they fall. I was in Daytona during the firecracker 400 FHP all over the place !! Just drive !
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #123
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
MLH, I absolutely agree with you first statement. Just today, I cut down the rest of a neighboring owners 100 foot oak tree that snapped 1/2 way off and landed on my property. He may never even notice it LOL
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #124
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
MLH, I absolutely agree with you first statement. Just today, I cut down the rest of a neighboring owners 100 foot oak tree that snapped 1/2 way off and landed on my property. He may never even notice it LOL

We had a white oak on the farm with 140 feet under the canopy. Several years ago half of it blown down and last week one of its last three limbs fell off. It was 75 feet long and had a pickup load of wood in it.

Hard to say goodbye to a old friend. My brothers and I played under it when we were kids over 60 years ago. It was a big tree even then. We have two of its brothers that are getting big with probably 200 feet under their canopy. If I stick around for another hundred years they will be that big. Can’t wait!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:13 AM   #125
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Mlh and richfaa

So far all this discussion has been about complying with the regulations in Florida.

The assumption that on a simple traffic stop you may get off without a ticket or tickets is most likely correct.

Most law enforcement officers would consider if it looks like an RV it probably is an RV.

Lynwood you are correct until you look at the definition of “Serious Accident”.

Richfaa you are incorrect by not complying with the difination of “Personal use vehicle” you become a “Commercial vehicle” whether you are paid or not and this has been upheld by the courts in many states. You may also want to look at the difination of “Serious Accident”.

Remember the traffic laws in most states are dictated by the Federal DOT they do this using the Grant Qualification portion of the fuel tax money they grant to the states for building and maintaining the Interstate roads. The current requirement is to put a child restraint law in and they even dictated the wording of this law.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #126
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Mlh and richfaa

So far all this discussion has been about complying with the regulations in Florida.

The assumption that on a simple traffic stop you may get off without a ticket or tickets is most likely correct.

Most law enforcement officers would consider if it looks like an RV it probably is an RV.

Lynwood you are correct until you look at the definition of “Serious Accident”.

Richfaa you are incorrect by not complying with the difination of “Personal use vehicle” you become a “Commercial vehicle” whether you are paid or not and this has been upheld by the courts in many states. You may also want to look at the difination of “Serious Accident”.

Remember the traffic laws in most states are dictated by the Federal DOT they do this using the Grant Qualification portion of the fuel tax money they grant to the states for building and maintaining the Interstate roads. The current requirement is to put a child restraint law in and they even dictated the wording of this law.

Phil P
I really dislike it when there is misinformation put forth on any forum. I am a retired Trooper and was certified in Motor Carrier Safety (Fed Regulations). Here is the best example I can give:

Richfa and I are both pulling our fivers into Florida for the winter. We stop as we enter Florida and decide that we will switch, he will pull mine and I will pull his. Maybe he has Ohio registration and I have Florida registration, it really doesn't matter because both of our fivers are registered and titled as RV's. We don't have any IDOT numbers on our TV's nor do we need them.

We are still perfectly legal by Florida standard (State Statutes) and of course the Federal regs would still not apply to us. We still will not be stopping at weigh stations or doing anything else that applies to a commercial vehicle.

The Federal regs do not change from state to state for commercial vehicles. Neither does the definition of what determines if you are a commercial vehicle or not. State statutes and traffic laws for non-commercial vehicles will vary from state to state but not the Fed regulations.

If Richfa is paying me to haul his fiver into Florida everything changes. Or, if I start working part time for North Trail RV and moving RVs around for them then everything changes.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #127
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
I really dislike it when there is misinformation put forth on any forum. I am a retired Trooper and was certified in Motor Carrier Safety (Fed Regulations).

My information comes from court records.

When I get a contract as an expert witness I also get access to the case history records via the internet like the attorney has. When this is a federal case this gives me access to a lot of records even though I am working on an aviation related event.

You need to do this.

Arizona the violator collected his neighbors broke auto with his truck and trailer. Plea No guilty on grounds he wasn’t paid for the trip.

Adjunction Guilty.

This one was posted on a truck forum and when I had access to the court records I ran a search.

Missouri

The offender collected his friend’s boat and trailer after friend’s truck broke down.

Same plea same adjudication.

Florida

Farmer collected his friends goose neck trailer with fiends skid loader on it.

Same plea same adjudication.

All but the first one was a stop for some minor traffic violation.

Again if you look like an RV you probably will not have a traffic stop.

I think you are the one that needs to do some research.

Phil P
Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #128
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s easy for me I haven’t lost a thing in Florida and I not going down there looking for anything. If I’m ever in Florida I don’t give a darn.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #129
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The examples Phil-P provides could be actual cases, who knows since he does not site the appropriate numbers where they can be found.

In all of them it certainly sounds like someone with a commercial licensed/titled vehicle was transporting something and claimed they were only doing it as a "favor". Without reading each and every case who knows all the details.

Again, obviously it has nothing at all to do with RVs in Florida or any type of "new" enforcement activity my friends.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #130
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thank you JandC your post is what we have been told in both Ohio and Florida. We held a CDL for many years. We do not work for or drive for any commercial entity although we have in the past but we drove their vehicles. We pull the RV in Florida from the GA/Fl line to exit 58 on I-4 once down and once back.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #131
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
I knew there was a reason I had quit visiting this site often.