Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Antifreeze

How many gallons of RV antifreeze do I ned to put into the storage tank to pump into all pipes, etc...

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If your rig is like mine, it has a winterizing kit with it and you don't have to put any antifreeze in the tank. You merely put the end of the winterizing kit hose in the antifreeze bottle, switch the valve so it points to the bottle and then pump the antifreeze through the pipes, starting with the faucet furthest away from the pump.

Be sure to drain the hot water heater first and set the bypass valve so no water goes into the water heater. I've winterized mine with only about two 1/2 gallons of antifreeze which includes pouring antifreeze into all the drains.

There will be others who will come along and provide more information who have rigs like yours.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
What Orv said. I used 5 gallons, but probably used more than I actually needed learning for my first time. But it seemed to take quite a bit to winterize the washer/dryer combo. Plus I spilled more than I want to admit.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Orv and Bill have it. I used 4 gallons and this included the washer dryer. Just remember to save some to put into your sinks so that the traps have antifreeze and not water in them.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bryan-- I've got a 2004 2980RL and it took me about 2 1/2 gallons like Orv! I don't have a washer-dryer and put the pink stuff in all the traps and down the stool. If you have an outside shower don't forget to open it up and let the pink stuff flow from it also. I had a thread on this about two or three weeks ago and the only pipes that do not have pink stuff in them are the blackwater tank rinsing hose and the shoreline water line. I blew out the blackwater hose or and released the pressure on the shoreline hookup. I don't remember what the thread was on that one but I know it was on here within the last month or so about it! Best of luck on the winterizing.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Whoa, I only use 1 3/4 gallons. What makes you stop is seeing it run pink at each faucet location on both hot and cold. Some of us have add-on's like the outside shower and/or the clothes washer which can change the amount of antifreeze needed to purge the system.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
noneck, I think you're right about the amouont I put into my 2980. I was out at it today checking things and I counted the bottles of pink stuff in the basement yet. Looking back and checking how many bottles of pink stuff I have yet, I only used a gallon and 1/2 to 3/4. I did use the extra final bottle to put in the traps after I finished the lines! Guess my grey hairs are bleeding into the grey matter under them! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote