Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Rear rack

I see a folding rear rack on Etrailers that is rated to 500 lbs. I’d like to carry my 100 lb generator there instead of in the bed of the truck. I’d also like to tote a couple of bikes. I have a 2015 353 RL and there is no hitch capability. This rack attaches to the bumper. What is a reasonably priced bike rack capable of carrying two bikes or is there something that will do both?

tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom woodward View Post
I see a folding rear rack on Etrailers that is rated to 500 lbs. I’d like to carry my 100 lb generator there instead of in the bed of the truck. I’d also like to tote a couple of bikes. I have a 2015 353 RL and there is no hitch capability. This rack attaches to the bumper. What is a reasonably priced bike rack capable of carrying two bikes or is there something that will do both?
I recall another thread on this subject, and at least one retired mechanical engineer weighed in on the issue of adding cargo weight to the end of the frame. I suggest you search for the thread, because there is more to just purchasing a rack. Structural factors, metal fatigue, added trailer length, etc just some of the potential issues.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Ours has a hitch installed from the factory, but it is not "tow" rated. Only 300 lbs. specifically for a bike rack or cargo carrier, which is odd since ours has the pull out garage door so the hitch is completely useless to us. I've also seen several threads where people have said the bike hitches flop around too much and cause damage to the rig and the bikes, so I would be very careful adding anything to the rear.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
biGGer is bETter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Ours has a hitch installed from the factory, but it is not "tow" rated. Only 300 lbs. specifically for a bike rack or cargo carrier, which is odd since ours has the pull out garage door so the hitch is completely useless to us. I've also seen several threads where people have said the bike hitches flop around too much and cause damage to the rig and the bikes, so I would be very careful adding anything to the rear.
Iv`e carried stuff on the back with no ill effects like a lot of people for years. The problem comes when people buy the wrong product or the cheapest or lightest duty for the weight or don`t understand what`s going on or happens back there when you do this. Your just asking for a disaster if you try to put that much weight on the bumper. Lots of posts about that.

This is one reason why I took the tray out, couldn't`t use it with the bikes on the rack, did offset the weight of the E- bikes and carrier (175 lbs) It is a bit of a pain to take the bikes off just to open the door so yes it`s almost useless but better than trying to lift them in the storage area and secure them on the tray with everything else falling off of it and jamming the thing so you have to crawl in there anyway to free the stuff up.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I wouldn't hang anything off most RV Rear Bumpers.
Buy a bolt on receiver hitch that bolts up to the frame, but still be careful of the amount of weight.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I have a fold down “bike rack” that came with my Montana. Rated at 250lbs. But sure seems stronger than that. Bolted to frame and bumper. Use it all the time with no issues. Mostly carry fire wood and some camp gear, or a cooler. Never have been over 200 lbs. On one trip my son and his family followed behind us and he reported very little bounce, but we had everything very secure. If you have the right rack for the right application and reasonable weight, you should be fine. You do add some length to your 5er so need to adjust for that.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I wouldn't hang anything off most RV Rear Bumpers.
Buy a bolt on receiver hitch that bolts up to the frame, but still be careful of the amount of weight.
This ^^^^

I've carried either 2 bikes, generator and/or firewood on the back of our Montana every single trip. (On the factory installed hitch bolted to frame.)
That's what it was intended to do when installed by Montana. My only worry
is "is it still back there?" because it feels no different towing and I can't see it.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
This ^^^^

I've carried either 2 bikes, generator and/or firewood on the back of our Montana every single trip. (On the factory installed hitch bolted to frame.)
That's what it was intended to do when installed by Montana. My only worry
is "is it still back there?" because it feels no different towing and I can't see it.
Ditto...we both probably have the same thing. It used to be a standard item that came with most of the Montana’s
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I made my own set up. My rig came with a bolt on receiver system. I removed that in made my own rear rack. I carry 100-200 lbs back there without issue. No bouncing at all. This could easily be modified to add a bike rack/stabilizer. Or the deck could be made differently to accommodate what you want to carry. My rear observation camera lets me see it just fine. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC5.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	598.8 KB
ID:	7344   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	668.8 KB
ID:	7345   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC3.jpg
Views:	59