Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2022, 05:34 AM   #1
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
New Starlink Flat High Performance Package

Hello Everyone,

I decided to order a Starlink setup for my unit since we have been seeing issues with our Verizon jetpack in certain areas. As soon as I got the email that the regular Starlink package had shipped, I received a second email moments later announcing the newest “Flat High Performance” package. This newest version allows in motion use and is meant to be installed permanently on the roof. So I cancelled the first order and stepped up to the new one.

I really liked the idea of a permanent install, no having to set up the dishy at each campsite and worrying someone might steal it. The in motion feature is also nice. I mounted the dishy as far toward on the roof as I could figuring the front end of the campsite is likely to have less tree cover than the back. I am changing my site selection criteria to get as open view of the sky as possible.

We are at the beach in SC right now on our first trip with the new setup. The site is pretty open and I am seeing anywhere from about 75-270 MB/sec download speeds and 10-20 MB/sec upload. I am get a few “obstructed” warnings but less than 5 minutes downtime over a period of 12 hours (< 1%). Overall I am pretty happy so far.

We were paying $170/mo for two Verizon SIM cards each with 150GB of data. We let that lapse but keep it handy as a backup. The RV Starlink package is $135/mo with no data caps so we are saving some money and I can suspend the service at any time. However, this new high performance package is quite pricey at $2500 for the hardware. Hopefully that will come down in the future.

Here are some pics of my install. I put in a new dedicated circuit breaker and a pretty blue power switch on my control panel. I mounted the power supply hidden behind that panel and router above the cabinet so it is high up and centrally located. The last pic is the dishy on the roof. (Yes, they call it a dishy, Musk humor, the default WiFi name was “Stinky”, I assume short for Starlinky )

Let me know if you have questions.

Best Regards, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D77BE554-3A6D-442C-88FE-4EAF6C2C7F9F.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	13786   Click image for larger version

Name:	347387D9-EF2E-43BD-B463-9777A6650211.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	13787   Click image for larger version