Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

Is your tire in fact a Light truck tire or is it the LT235/85R16RST? which is a trailer tire?
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...l-trailer-tire
The link certainly has RST listed on it and refers to it as a trailer tire and the Goodyear site states they are suitable for trailers and 5th wheeels. I am only telling you what is stamped on my tires and there is no RST anywhere on the tire. It has the LT designation not ST.

I did not travel over the speed rating on my Marathons, I certainly won't be traveling over the speed rating of my G614's so that is of little concern to me. Inflation pressure and doing my best to avoid obstacles that will damage them has always been my main objective in maintaining my RV tires.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #22
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Here's what TireRack has to say about LT tires ...

LT245/75R16 108/104S

LT = If a tire size begins with "LT," it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on vehicles that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or towing large trailers. This includes medium and heavy-duty (typically 3/4- and 1-ton load capacity) pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and full-size vans. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are the "little brothers" of 18-wheel tractor-trailer tires and are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #23
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Nothing to do with tire ratings or types but if you see a funny or different wear pattern on a tire or a change in the previously normal wear pattern then that tire warrants a serious inspection and likely replacement.
I learned that the hard way last year. Did not recorgnize what was happening and had a blowout.

And yes I try to look after the tires. Keep the pressure up, keep the speed down, try avoid road rubbish and so on.
and weighed the axles and individual tires at the truck stop when they are closed with the scales on and working.
The loading ws well under the rated.

It was the odd wear pattern I missed the significance or.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote