Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
Sharward

M.O.C. #28004
2019 361RD air condition

Has/does anyone have any issues with their main a/c not cooling very well?? My main works and blows cold air but it’s still really warm inside.

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated!

Sharward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
If your parked in full sun you can close your window blinds, extended your awnings to keep the sun off the sides of the 5th. Block off your return for your Propane heater and any where air could get pulled in. Also start your AC’s early before it get hot, don’t use your gas stove and anything that caused heat.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Have you washed or even better replaced the filters in the return grilles? Have you cleaned the coils on the roof top units? I've never used them, but you can cut the reflective foil/bubble insulation to fit windows and place it in the west facing windows. Lowering the blinds will as mentioned help, but the foil insulation keeps most all the solar gain outside.

If I'm camping in hot weather, the first thing I do after parking is open a couple of windows and turn the exhaust fans on along with the AC. The cold air coming out of the vents is much heavier and will mostly sink to lower in the coach. I only do this for about 10 minutes or so and turn the exhaust fans off. I've ordered an oscillating fan (Dyson clone) hopefully that will help some too. As mentioned before, refrain using any heat producing appliances indoors.

A quick and maybe not precise way to test your AC is take a BBQ thermometer and put the probe in one of the supply vents after the AC has been running for 10 minutes or so, take another reading at a return grille. If the AC is lowering the temp by somewhere between 18-22 degrees, it's working good.

Bear in mind that an AC works much better maintaining a temperature than rapid cool down. Realistically, a temperature drop of 2-3 degrees per hour is good. Unless you're on solar, a generator, or a metered camp site, never raise the set point if you're going to be away for a while.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #4
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharward View Post
Has/does anyone have any issues with their main a/c not cooling very well?? My main works and blows cold air but it’s still really warm inside.

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated!
Yep we had issues. It seems to be a RV design problem across the board. We found clogs ducts with all kinds of junk.

I must ask though, do you believe this is this a volume/air flow problem? When you stand under your ac vents,,,does your hair blow? OR must you move around searching for the air.

Do you have a dump/quick cool PLUS vents in your master bedroom OR only those little round vents?

Your rig should not be warm inside while your ac is turned on.

WE live in the south and travel only through the south. AC and a cold rig is the TOP of our lists. We manage to get our rig AC temps down in the low 60's.
This was not the case until my husband took hours to dig around the air vents, pulling junk out, stapling stuff AND making a cone to insert up IN the on vent located near the kitchen area.

*camping world told us EVERYTHING was working fine. Pffft, no it was not* stuff was blocking the amount of air coming out of vents. We fixed it.

Cold air blasts out of all of our vents out hair blows around.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
What's the outdoor temp? Do you have 2 AC's? Our rig last summer was miserable during the PNW heat wave. We had 1 AC...just couldn't keep up. We now have 2 AC's so we'll see if we fare any better this summer.

Warmer temps and direct sun will tax the AC system.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote