Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
6thwheel
Established Member

M.O.C. #8809
daynight shade repair finished

As scary as we thought it was going to be, restinging one of our daynight shades really wasn't that challenging. Got the string (that is all we needed) at a good fabric store for 25 cents a yard.

6thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

I've repaired 2 of ours so far,had to re-tie both to the little anchors,knots broke loose.Another popped off when we were picking up last weekend to return home.Ours don't seem to operate very well...some go up straight and some crooked,probably too much tension on one side.I don't think we are compatible with the day/night shades.I may remove them and go with bamboo shades or back to the old reliable mini blinds.Always something to repair...I may need to change my forun name to Project Mountaineer.

This is our first 5ver and its been quite a learning experience but still very enjoyable.The experience I'm getting is becoming very useful.

Philip,
2007 336RLT Mountaineer
2006 Dodge Diesel QC 4x4 DRW
Payload Capacity 4,780 LBS.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Was there anything special about the string that we'd need to know before going to a fabric store? It's coated with something to protect it from friction?

I hate to admit it but we have a broken string and it didn't break on its own. It had a little help from me. Our model has the wood valance around the big window over the bedroom dresser. We have some electrical items sitting on the dresser and the cords were unsightly. Vicki suggested I put a hole through the wood on the closet side where it would not be seen. Great idea. I got out my trusty drill and a one inch wood bit and went to town. Unseen (and unthought of by me) the string for the shade runs close up the side of that valance. It's well hidden and I didn't even think about it being there. But I managed to pop that string with the drill bit. So, now I have to find the string and fix it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Steve,

There are basically two types of cord/string: braided and twisted. You want braided. We went to JoAnn Fabrics and purchased Warm Window 1 mm cord. Then we restrung the rear window shade, our first! Kathy says it moves more freely than any of the other ones.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also have had difficulty with our day night shades. After the first broke we sent it to Irvin Shade who does Keystone and they fixed it and sent directions on how to adjust the remaining ones it the Monty. Most where to tight. We have the directions if anyone is intersted. They say they should have enough tension to hold them in place once you put them up. So we re-adjusted ours. Thought we had it solved. Then the other day, again, one broke. I like the consept but I think they are fragile. Ours tend to tear at the bottom strip needing more than a restring. Thank goodness Irvin has fixed them both times for $15.00, not bad but when you add shipping both ways gets expensive. But they still match so worth the price. When I questioned Irvin about being so fragile they state no others have had issues but I see them on our forum quite frequently. I still think they are fragile or not properly installed at the factory.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The bottom screw into the wall came out on ours. I will try a molly screw and see if that works. I have been poking it back into the hole for a year now.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I've found that if you loosen the strings a bit (on the bottom of each side), it is easier to slide up and down, and does not wear as much.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thank you, Michael.

Cdaniels, I'd be interested in the adjusting instructions. I have not been on here frequently as of late so would appreciate if you could click the envelope icon above this post and email me the info. Maybe post it here, too, for others.

Billhoover, on our prior Montanas the cord was wound around the bobbin thingy so adjusting was just a matter of loosening the bobbin, turning it a bit to loosen or tighten the string, then tightening the bobbin again. But on this Montana they didn't wrap the string around the bobbin. They just put it through the hole and tied it off, then cut off the excess. So we have zero adjustment. Some of ours are very tight and I'd love to be able to adjust them. I guess I need to see if I can reposition the bobbins higher so I can create some adjustment room.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote