Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
center slide tipping out while turning

need a little help on this one our 3400 center slide (KITCHEN SLIDE)tips out some times at the top in a turn I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen any help on this one will be great Ihave looked at the slide mech and all looks right to me when slides are pulled in I can push on the top of the slide an it moves very easy

boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tim,

They do that. In fact, one bloke said it launched his Apollo out of the cabinet onto the counter when it slammed back in.

I have not seen mine do it, but there is nothing to prevent it. I can push out the top by hand (in fact, you can push out any of the slides). The Kitchen is vulnverable because it is short and can be top heavy with the fridge loaded.

Hate to say it, but they probably need some of those slide jacks inserted for travel.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Tim,
User name Robb from Ill. had the same problem and did get some cooperation from Montana. Might PM him for details.
Jim C.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have no proof that it is happening in our 3400 but a couple of times the fridge door has come open in transit and we know it was tightly closed.. Just put that on my....."ask keystone" list for the fall rally..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that this situation is normal. Charles Wade told me when we were originally considering buying our 3400 that when the slides are closed, there is a fair amount of pressure holding the slides in, just as they hold them out when extended.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Michael,

If you look at the design, its simply a box being pushed into another box by the lower drive arms. Since the drive frame is only connected to the outside edge of the slide, there is not much it can do other than roll it out and roll it in.

When out, you cannot push the slide in very far at the top, as the bottom of the slide has no where to go.

When in, the only thing really holding the top in is weight. The bedroom slide offers the most lateral weight, especially with the wardrobe and king matress that extends all the way across the floor.

I've tested each slide on my unit individually to see if I can truly tip out the top when they are closed. I can do all of them, including the bedroom, and even the living room. The kitchen is actually scary, and I now understand how the Apollo could get launched when it slams shut.

If you think about it, the Mor-Ryde aggravates the issue, because this model Monty tips much much further than our old one did without the Mor-Ryde. It stands to reason, as the Mor-Ryde is designed to double the spring travel (until they break ).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Hummm thanks for all the replys on this I now will build a travel brace for the top of the slide to ensure it won't tip out into oncoming traffic might just scare a oncomming car into a bad situation I know I had a awful thought when I saw it tip please ask keystone about this at the rally they need to fix this problem before one of us has a big problem and then there is the question about rain water getting in during this event too hmmmmm
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote