Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Freezer Defroster Switch

My understanding is that the switch in the upper right hand corner of the freezer door opening is for defrosting the freezer. Is this right?

I heard from the service department that it runs off of the battery, is that right?

Service also said that I should turn that switch to the ON position and prop the door open to defrost, is that right?

......wish I trusted those service guys more.

MOC, you're the greatest!

Thanks,

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Robbie,

you have a much newer unit than we do, but if I am understanding you correctly, that is NOT what that switch is for (at least on my unit) (although, upon a bit of reflection, maybe you could use that button with door propped open to defrost?? hmmmmmm)

for us, that switch is turned on when there is a lot of humidity and I notice moisture on the portion of the unit that is between the freezer and the frig, but is NOT the door, but the unit. Ohhh, this gets
confusing, eh?? OK, open the freezer door, there is a piece of the unit that runs all the way, right to left, and now is partially covered by the frig door. This is where I get moisture. When I do, we turn on that button and it dries it out somehow.

I do believe that it runs on 12 volt.

You know, I think we were chatting about this not too long ago, a search (open up the time frame to at least 6 months) might find it for ya.

When all else fails, did you get any book on the frig?? or, is there a online site that has a downloadable book??

I am sure some others will come trouping along soon and give you their take on this.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Whay countryguy said is right. It is for high humidity and yeah it does run off the batt.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Well, I did read the manual, but it was of little help, or I just don't want to understand manuals which is more likely. Said something like to get rid of moisture in the freezer....If my freezer has moisture in it, I'm taking it back to the dealer!

Al, thanks, I know what you are talking about (the confusing part) about the part that faces you when you open the door (mine doesn't show any moisture or frost on it at this point), I live in Seattle. The problem I am trying to fix is frost on the back wall of the freezer. Do you know if I would turn the switch to the ON position and prop the door open to defrost the freezer?...and what would this do to the refrigerator? ....or can you turn off (defrost) the freezer all by itself?

I could just unload both the freezer and the refrigerator and then turn it all off and wipe up the mess later, but thought there might be an easier way to take care of the freezer without going through all of that....

I can't tell you how many answers I have found in the search tool, but sometimes that search tool can be more of a hinderance than a blessing...getting side-tracked is so bad sometimes I can't remember what I was looking for in the first place....

We are about 90 days away from FT, so if I sound a little panicked, just wait!

Thanks to all of you for your help!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
When our frig needs defrosting, we do it the way we did before this new fangled fancy stuff called auto defrost came along! HA HA HA

Put the frozen stuff in the sink or a cooler, packed tight, nothing will spoil, cept ya gotta eat the ice cream first! (ain't that a shame! ) Empty the frig if it is in need of cleaning, or at least take out stuff on the top couple of shelves as you are gonna have to get to that little 3 inch deep (wide as interior of the frig) catch tray that is at the top (in our unit). That little tray will fill with water.

Turn off frig, open doors. Some use a hair dryer, or a warm bowl of water. Be careful not to get stuff too hot so you don't have damage to the freezer area (think ours is plastic). Even when it is frosted up pretty good in the back it does not take long to defrost the freezer.

Wipe down, dry off with some paper towels. Put back the food, turn frig back on, and soon all is well.

We only get moisture when the humidity is VERY high. We defrost maybe once every 2 months.

As far as I am aware you cannot defrost the freezer as a seperate entity. That suggestion from the service people at your dealer, have NO idea. I suppose it might work, but find the method I described to be fast and dirty, errr easy.

Next question:: are ALL MOC members gonna go full time?? HA HA, so many of ya, it is sooooo great!! We are envious! Have some extra fun for ole Carol and Al!!

Cheers,

Carol
Old 07-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Carol is right on all counts (except maybe the ice cream). That little switch is to remove condensation from the front face of the freezer by heating it. It does run on 12v, and is a big battery drain. We keep ours off most of the time. (Our home fridge has a similar switch for the same purpose).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John, I know, you and Donna just want to come share and help eat that ice cream next time I am ready to defrost!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
MOC is the greatest, thank you everyone for your replies. When the answer is elusive, MOC always comes through. We sure appreciate the help. We're looking forward to the day when we have enough experience to return the favor.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 AM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Right on everybody. The switch is for condensation. (don't you just hate having to eat all the ice cream first?)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When we had to defrost we followed Carol's method pretty much. We do use the hair dryer to speed up the process. Use the hair dryer on LOW setting to avoid melting the plastic.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I haven't figured out how to get the 3-gallon container of ice cream in there in the first place. Maybe MOC has a solution :-)

Thanks everyone, you answered my question, guess the subject is closed.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

I haven't figured out how to get the 3-gallon container of ice cream in there in the first place. Maybe MOC has a solution :-)

Thanks everyone, you answered my question, guess the subject is closed.
Robbie, freezer in the W/D closet, or in the basement works for those "little" treats...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
3 gallons??? oh, dear! HA HA, NOW THAT Is some serious ice cream eatting!

Take Dave's suggestion if you really have to have 3 gallons! A seperate freezer. Also great for extra meat, fish. The meat when you can get a good buy at the grocery store and the fish when you get to Alaska and have great fishing!! Judy Denner can tell ya all about that!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have a question on that switch.Which way is off????I`am not sure if mines off or on.Thanks for your help.I do know though the ice cream stays nice and hard mmmmmmmmmmmm.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Me thinks we have a bunch of ice cream fanatics here! Banana Split anyone?
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No thanks Sue, current fav is Blue Bunny, Peanut butter flavored with hunks of brownies and chocolate something or other. I think I died and went to PB and Choc heaven!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You guys are NOT encouraging me while I'm on my diet!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
........and to think this all started out talking about moisture in the freezer. :-)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #19
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
harleyrider, When it's on, the space will be warm. Wish Dairy Queen across the parking lot would hurry and open up! Ice cream - Breakfast of Champions!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote