Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
Blocking front landing gear?

just a question about using blocking under the front landing gear.is it nessesary in a Montana.i really don't mean for leveling, on some larger units people use them and others don't.on my smaller 5er i used them all the time because the legs seemed weak, when they were fully extended,but the legs on the unit we have they seem really strong.i have sturdy blocking ,ya think i should use them?. sorry for the ramble.
mike &amy johnson
rio vista calif
05-2955rl
semper-fi &good luck

mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I believe blocking under front landing for the Montana has more to do with firmness of site, etc. Definitely not necessary on concrete.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I wouldn't think so, if you're talking about blocking all the way to the frame. Probably not necessary in most cases, if you mean one under each jack. But, we stayed at a park where it was a requirement to put a block/pad under the jack feet, and it was on cement pads. I also noticed the other day that one of the jack feet was somewhat deformed/bent from settling in soft ground somewhere. Soooo, I would suggest you have a block/pad for each jack on hand, just in case. Actually, I almost always use a block under each of the jacks.

Skip

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
thx, i will start using the blocks, and i did'nt mean blocking to the frame.thx
mike&amy johnson
rio vita , calif
05-2955rl
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree that a single pad under the front legs and the rear jacks is a good idea, not because of the strength of the legs, but because of the ground underneath the legs. I use 2"x10" cut about 2' long. This allows the weight on the foot to be spread over that amount of surface. Sort of like the snow shoe principle. I don't like my metal legs directly on cement surfaces and certainly not on soil surfaces.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I also recommend using pads under the landing gear.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I bought a "ultra pad" at camping world.It replaces the foot pad that comes on the Montana.It is probably 3 times as big as the standard one.But I probably will still put a block under the landing gear.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We use a 6x6x12 under all our legs just for more stability on all surfaces. Works good for us, plus you don't have to run the legs out as far.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #9
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
I too use a block under the front landing gear as well as the rear jacks. I just received a king pin support and will put blocks under it's feet as well.

Good to hear from another JARHEAD. Good camping and SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #10
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I have always used blocks under the jacks to keep from sinking into soft ground or black top on hot days and to keep any rusting down to a minmum
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use blockage under the front jacks as well as under the rear stabilizers.

The rig feels much more stabile this way than with the jacks and stabilizers lowered to a pad or the ground.

BTW-Notice how the front pad is not totally flat on the block. It has a sort of convex shape. This, I believe, is the deformed/bent front pad that Skip was refering to. You are correct Skip it got bent sitting on soft ground.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 AM   #12
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Used to put 8" blocks under front legs. Came home put block behind wheel, big bloocks under legs pulled king pin release and was horrified to watch that the wheel block was not doing its job. Result smashed side rails. So be careful.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have been parked on a concrete pad all winter. We purchased two heavy plastic like (not sure what this stuff is made of) cutting boards, aproximately 10" x 12" x 1" thick, to use under the front legs. We have been using these for two years on all surfaces when setting up. They are easy to wash up when tearing down if we are parked on grass and/or dirt. On concrete or pavement they protect legs and prevent indentations in pavement. Also distribute the weight to some degree. These cutting boards can be purchased at WalMart etc. We even found green ones that blend in with the grass.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:04 AM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I put 8" blocks under the front legs and sometimes add another 2x6. While the legs are strong I believe the shorter you can keep the front legs the more stable the trailer will be. I block under the rear jacks as well although not to the same extend. I do it there mainly to increase the footprint of the jack.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Chester-
You might be right about the shorter the legs the more stable the trailer should be. In my opinion it is not worth the risk to block your trailer any higher than what the clearance is from the bottom of the trailer to the bed rails on the truck. Just this afternoon I saw a F-250 with crushed rails and a bent tailgate. Guessing what the situation might have been, I looked in the back and sure enough was a 5th wheel hitch.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I ( my oppion ) dont think it is as sterdy, I would hate to see what would happen in a earth quake, being elevated that high, on a borad that is smaller at the bottom, as in Glenn and Lorraine photo's. Glenn that is an inverted peramid reverse it with the larger boards on the bottom. I believe that a trailer will get more movement from all those boards stacked on top of each other, I only use a 12 by 12 by 3/4 inch pad under my front legs to prevent sinking if on dirt of ashphalt, some parks require it, or a fine will come your way ( Sienent Vally ) is one. And when the tripod is under the pin that usually stabelises the front in conjunction with the wheel locks.
I will agree with the lego blocks or a large block under the rear stabilisers, because thats all they are, (Stabilisers) not supports, they need all the help they can get as they do get weaker and wobbelly the further they get extended.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We also use blocks under front and rear feet. Mine are made up from pieces of 2x10 nailed together to make a block about 10x10x10 (lumber dimensions). I belive this improves the stability of the rig, protects the feet from the ground (and the ground from the feet). Seems to pretty common practice among all 5er users.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #18
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
well thx for the input on blocking the front of the trailer.i am going to be blocking the front,it seems you should not go to high and i won't, thx again.
mike&amy johnson
rio vista calif
05-2955rl
semper-fi& good luck
Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
we use blocks under the landing gear that look like a small piramid when stacked ontop of each other (two per side). this stops the need for a front bi-pod leg set under the pin. it really takes the movment out of the trailer, if you keep the landing gear as short as possible.

jim
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #20
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by blocking. Do you mean placing boards on the ground for the legs to rest on?

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote