Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Rare company behavior

Nice to see a company take care of its people and not just the bottom line and share holders. Gave 80 hours of personal/sick time to use whenever needed. $100 a week bonus for four weeks, and double pay for any overtime. To help the folks that are still going to work (and thankfully still can). Also buying as many masks, gloves and other items and giving them to the hospitals. I am proud to work for the HOME DEPOT !!!🇺🇸

2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
These are always great stories to hear. Ran into an AT&T installer in the neighborhood two days ago. He said his company was trying to take care of their employees by allowing work from home where possible and providing essential gear for customer contact employees. To his knowledge no one has been laid off. Early in the game but lots of business' seem to be doing the same thing. My hat is off to those that are.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I know of a little company that has been doing what is best for people for years. If you come to work or you don’t show up, you can take all the time off you wish do whatever you wont to you get paid. They gave out $87,000 to it’s 3 workers last year for Christmas bonus. The owner’s salary last year was $2000. I know all of this because I own the company. I do it because it the right thing to do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
I salute you sir ����
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're still paying health insurance on everyone and employing as many as we can at our store, but not sure how long we can last or if we even can last with only the limited income from the drive thru.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It's good to hear companies help out where they can. They are a business in the end and need to survive as well. Without companies there would be few jobs.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I was in retail for 50 years, retired in 2015. At its peak, I had 180 employees. For the first time in my adult life I'm not worried about how to figure out how to survive the recession, depression, oil embargo, or pandemic.

My retirement income is secure and more than my living expenses. My biggest worry is what I'm going to do today to keep busy and keep my social distance to stay healthy.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Let's remember these businesses that are good to their employees and their communities and be sure to give them our business when this is over.
Also remember for most restaurant employees, the bulk of their pay is tips. If you pick up or get take out delivered be sure to tip the way you used to when you sat in. I pray for the survival of small businesses. They are the back bone of our economy.
And three cheers for Home Depot.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Nice to see a company take care of its people and not just the bottom line and share holders. Gave 80 hours of personal/sick time to use whenever needed. $100 a week bonus for four weeks, and double pay for any overtime. To help the folks that are still going to work (and thankfully still can). Also buying as many masks, gloves and other items and giving them to the hospitals. I am proud to work for the HOME DEPOT !!!🇺🇸
I've started going to the home depot again since I was insulted at Menards.

Had a young girl cashier get very hateful with me at Menards last week. "Stand on the X"!!!

Well I can't hand you money from 8 ft away but ok. Not used to being talked down to someone who is young enough to be my youngest kid.

So I'm boycotting Menards. It's all home depot now. They were very nice when I went there a few days ago.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
I guess my issue with retailers now is what will they do when the virus is over? Keep the increased pay go back to previous pay.m? Everyone knows that Depot, Lowes and every other retailer is not in the black right now due to lower foot traffic. So should they continue to pay the extra 2$ an hour once this is over?
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Too bad this thing is as overblown as it is. Small business and their employees will suffer without ever getting sick. Local news highlights businesses that are trying to stay open which is good. More profitable companies can afford to ante up but even that is for so long. Business is about profit, not welfare. No profit no business no employees. We all need to get back to work.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
The PUD that I work at here in central Washington has been doing an above average job on taking care of the their employees. Pretty much anybody that can work from home has been asked to please work from home and also allowed employees to get computers, monitors and other necessary equipment from work. Obviously they had rules so there was very little person to person contact while getting your equipment. Our Operator, Linemen and Dispatchers are still working because they are essential. Mechanics, Electricians, Laborers etc are going in as necessary. No one has been furloughed or Laid off. Everyone in the last group are being paid by being placed on Administrative Leave. They are working hard to get all the PPE that they can get for those employees having to still report to work. End result is my employer is on the good list of Employers.
Let us hope that this virus issue becomes just a bad memory real soon.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 04-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There are many great companies out there. It is in the best long range interest to retain workers. Good people are hard to attract and very expensive to train.
Lynwood
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If everyone does their part this will be over soon. Not next week but not too long after that. The stock market is on the rise. Brokers see an end on the horizon.
If people don’t do what is required several million will loose their lives. Let’s not make it one of us.
Lynwood
Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
First I think the OP pointed out a great thing that Home Depot is doing. Second I would hate to think being harshly told to stand on an X would keep me from buying things from a given business. And thirdly as to "getting back to normal", this pandemic has set a precedent so it's very likely we will go through this again down the road when another major virus pops up. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just standing toe-to-toe with reality.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We owned a small business for 30 yrs with 30+/- employees and managed to get thru the 2007-2008 downturn without letting any go. Sold it 3 years ago and glad we are not facing this one. I know the new owners are in a bad condition.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I certainly feel bad for small business. Here in Kansas, so far we can't even get an online site up and running so small businesses can apply for the federal money. I'm for sure this holds true in other states. I'm sure this delay will be a tipping point for the worse for some small businesses.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #18
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I've started going to the home depot again since I was insulted at Menards.

Had a young girl cashier get very hateful with me at Menards last week. "Stand on the X"!!!

Well I can't hand you money from 8 ft away but ok. Not used to being talked down to someone who is young enough to be my youngest kid.

So I'm boycotting Menards. It's all home depot now. They were very nice when I went there a few days ago.
Sadly, this made me laugh.

My wife put an "X" on my side of the bed... Says the same thing to me.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote