Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Additional Batteries

We take delivery of our new 335RLBS tomorrow. THis has the LP and batteries moved into the front of the coach rather than exposed on the front trailer frame. Since I have that space free I was considering adding 2 more batteries for those occassions when we dry camp. Does anyone know of any reason why this would not work and where to find out how to connect them. I presume they would charge while driving and also on shore power like any others.
Has anyone else done this?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
If you go back you will find a thread about this I think they use 6 volt batteries hooked in series.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I suggest you use the search function--I am sure you will get an answer to your question.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you are thinking of adding two twelve volt batteries, they would be wired in parallel. However, if you switch to six volt golf cart batteries, it would take four, two each wired in series in a pair to make 12-volts and then wire the two pairs together in parallel. Your trickle charger would charge them while connected to your shoreline.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:52 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question: When wiring 2 or more batteries in parallel, is there a special battery cable for that or do you somehow "stack" cables. What I'm thinking is a cable would go from positive of the first battery to positive of the second battery. Then you'd need another cable to go from positive of the second battery to positive of the third battery. That means two cable ends on the positive post of battery number 2. And also from battery number 3 to the coach or battery number 4. The post is not big enough for this, is it? So are there cables with both a male and a female on each end? If not, how do you accomplish connecting multiple batteries in parallel?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

If you are thinking of adding two telve volt batteries, they would be wired in parallel. However, if you switch to six volt golf cart batteries, it would take four, two each wired in parallel in a pair to make 12-volts and then wire the two pairs together in parallel. Your trickle charger would charge them while connected to your shoreline.
Correction.... Two each wired in SERIES to make 12-volts. The rest is correct.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Question: When wiring 2 or more batteries in parallel, is there a special battery cable for that or do you somehow "stack" cables. What I'm thinking is a cable would go from positive of the first battery to positive of the second battery. Then you'd need another cable to go from positive of the second battery to positive of the third battery. That means two cable ends on the positive post of battery number 2. And also from battery number 3 to the coach or battery number 4. The post is not big enough for this, is it? So are there cables with both a male and a female on each end? If not, how do you accomplish connecting multiple batteries in parallel?

Thanks.
Steve,

Check out part # TM2364. It is a double ended (two crimp position) lug. It will let two wires share a battery post. They are available for up to 4/0 wire.

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/inde...umber=2&id=720

These are available for both the positive and negative posts (the posts being different sizes on batteries.) For low current applications, you could get away by using the wing nut connections that most RV & Golf Car batteries have. For high current applications (like using a higher power inverter) I would feel better using something like this.

These are what I'm planning to use for my own battery bank when I get around to building it....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thank you, Eric. I figured there had to be something out there but have never seen this type of connection.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Eric,
Thank you for correcting my very serious typo. My mind and my fingers were definitely not coordinated. Duh.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote