Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Oh my goodness, a standing ovation! I would be so embarrassed, I'd have to leave...

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #22
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Yes, but it was all MOC folks, plus I said "Almost". We did score high as one of the few that got backed in on first try. I just have to remember to pull ahead about twice as far as I think I should.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
If someone came up to me as I was going through my parking, set-up or pack-up routine, I doubt that I would even know they were there because I am so focused on my tasks. Those are the only times my DW can talk to me and I actually don't hear her...u-huum
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the perfrect system. Most of the time Helen is doing the parking, backing in and folks will stand back to watch the lady screw up.She never does.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I pull our Montana over to a campground at the coast quite often in mid-week and the husband follows me over after work on Fridays. In 20 years of backing up an RV into a camping site when I am by myself, I've only had one person ever come over and offer help. I had just backed the Montana into the site and turned off the truck. This guy was so insistent upon helping so I let him take down the front legs and put down the rear supports. You can bet I was watching each move he made.

I don't know if I could back up an RV if someone was helping me.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

I pull our Montana over to a campground at the coast quite often in mid-week and the husband follows me over after work on Fridays.
I have a place that is about an hour away and has GREAT spots that during the summer I would love to lock down for the weekend. It would require that I drive and back in to a space that has trees. So I guess I am going to have to build up my courage! So how did you learn and what tips do you have for the rest of us who want to take the steering wheel for trips alone? I have driven trailers before but this seems different for some reason (maybe because it is bigger).
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #27
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Practice, practice, practice. It all becomes easier wirh practice. Use that parking lot.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #28
Marty79
Established Member

M.O.C. #12767
Taking your time is the best advice. You will figure it out and a class is not a bad idea at all. If I ever offer to help any one it's just as a spotter to be sure they don't hit anything. Backing can be very frustrating at times.
Marty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #29
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have some friends that could not backup and park their fifthwheel. Their solution was to try backing up and then screaming at each other. This would bring a volunteer that would park for them. True story
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #30
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here at Boyce Thompson for our winter gig you can't get parked, with a rig like ours, without help. Someone has to hold the device that lifts the electric wires while you back under them. On the other hand, most of us with big rigs are hear for the entire winter so it's not done often.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #31
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Our TV is equipped with a CB so we bought a hand held CB and we can communicate in a normal tone of voice- It is not necessary that I can see DW but I find it helpful if I can- We walk the site before we attempt to park- I can point out where the wheels should travel and DW uses that as a guide and instructs me to back, turn and follow- It has worked for us for years although we still have words from time to time- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #32
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
www.aboutrving.com has a good video about hand signals and backing.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

We have some friends that never got the hang of backing their fifthwheel. They discovered that if they started backing and did a lot of yelling at each other that someone would back it in for them so that was their system.
:-)
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
[quote]Originally posted by seahunter

I have a related question as to what is the "etiquette" if you are by yourself and need help to back in. I might try to go ahead of Kris once in a while to a campground and she will follow in a day or two. Would you ask the camp host if there is one, or just a nearby camper?

Thanks.

Got over the pride of not asking for help long ago, lol.
Whether parking, lifting, how something works, whatever if there is another set of hands or more knowledge I appreciate the help.
And most folks are glad to assist.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

First of all let me say that I liked the videos on hand signals.
Thanks catskiner for that post!

I’m not sure what the proper etiquette would be. I would not hesitate to use help if I was by myself and wanted it, however, as in the video, the other person don’t know you and has no interest in your investment. It would be difficult to learn their habits quick enough for me to be completely comfortable with a stranger. I would remain cautious and if in doubt at all remember the GOAL method (Get Out And Look). I certainly wouldn’t worry about offending someone I didn’t know by taking that extra look myself.

I hate it the worst whenever a campground owner tries to direct you and tell you how to park. They seemingly think they know how you need to turn and when to back, etc... I guess maybe they have their own reasons but don’t be intimidated by them or other bystanders. I often get out and look even when my wife is giving directions. She doesn’t get offended buy it and she does an excellent job with her directions. It is always good to know exactly where you are at.

I wouldn’t be afraid to park it by myself either (which I have done) but I make myself get out and look a lot more; nothing wrong with it. Situations can change quickly when backing and adding a few extra minutes for parking by getting out and looking can certainly make the task much easier.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #36
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We've been doing the longtime thing for 6 years now and we use the GMRS radios and hand signals. For the most part we do quite well, but every once in a while I'll hear over the radio, "turn the other way", "turn this way", "back up just a little bit" and my favorite, "scoot over just a few inches", like I can turn the trailer wheels sideways. I really think she does it on purpose because she knows it infuriates me. I drove a '71 Kenworth over the road for 3 years in the late "70's and used the "GOAL" method more than once. I use it every time I park the RV.

I guess I'm kind of mean looking because we don't get too many offers to help. I do like hearing someone say, "you've done this before haven't you?" I usually just say "once or twice".
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #37
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I can not claim to be the best backer, but manage fine most of the time. But a couple years ago I was trying to get the trailer into a fairly narrow site from an also narrow roadway with dropoff to a river just the other side making maneuvering a little difficult.
After several forward and backward movements I was just about where I wanted. Got out to look one last time and a guy reared back in a lounge chair next site over hollered "if you run out of diesel I'll go get you some". I told him to go back to sleep. We ahd some laughs about it later.
That's about as much help as I would want.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
I also have a set of those magnetic plastic rods from CW that you use to line up a bumper hitch ,but I use them horizontal on the side of the trailer to let me know how much room I need for the slide-outs. On my trailer thay are about 6in. longer when the slide is out.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #39
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
About 20 years ago I had a new retired neighbor that moved in across the street,

After i backed my travel trailer into my yard between two fence post he came over his first words were you are a truck driver right, i said yes he said if you wernt you would have never made it nice job.
To this day i get out and look when in doubt.

The DW helps all the time to with the flash light at night and when i get to ware id like to be then i get the signal to stop and if the grand kids are with there job is to sit at the picnic table.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #40
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Alas, my wife may have to take over backing up as we usually spend an inordinate amount of time getting situated per her directions...

I hate to remind her the New Orleans KOA Staffer directions backed me into a fairly tight 90 degree spot on the first try.

She got us into our 90 degree turn "blind side' Storage spot in less than 30 minutes recently, a personal best!

Pull throughs are appreciated but not that common and I think "semi-circular" pullthroughs can be even harder than backin.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote