Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
BAL Xchocks

Well, I bought them. The Roto-chocks were not available easily while I am on the road. Since Roto-chocks don't seem to use distributors, they lost my business. I now have a pair of the X-chocks and the work just fine. They are easy and quick to install. It only takes one incident to get you to change type of chock.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Stiles,
I trust you got the kind with the blue wrench that tightens them. As I posted before, I personally, crank these pretty good to make sure they get a good bite on the tire. I will caution you that you do need to apply oil occasionally to the threads as these are definitely not rust-proof (that is speaking from personal experience).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Stiles-- Also if you are sitting at one location for any time, be sure to go out and resnug them down after a day or so. The tires are warm/hot when you put them on when you set up but will cool down and the chocks will loosen up some when they cool. I've had them for about three years now and they really help!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Don't forget to remove them before you move the Monte. It will strip the teeth that keeps the chocks even. The V10 does have torque.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto what Rondo said. I'm finding when I put them in when the tires are hot, in just an hour or two they are almost ready to fall out. Once retightened they stay tight, though.

Grampachet, I once turned one of those BAL chocks sideways between tires when I forgot to remove them. Acutally, both sides. I was very concerned about damaging the tires but was able to carefully back up and then remove them. The tires seemed not to be hurt, or at least over time they seemed to be fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Steve,
I had only moved an inch or so but for some reason those little teeth that keep both sides aligned, stripped off and now that chock always goes very crooked when used and is difficult to remove as the head of the adjusting screw goes up against the tire so the blue wrench will not fit over the bolt head.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for all the heads up comments. I once had the other BAL chock, not the "X" Chock and did not find it to be satisfactory. This "X" Chocks seem to do the job.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, is this X chock something new? I'm wondering if it's different from what I've been using for several years?

OK, I just found a picture at the camping world site. It is a little different. The X chocks have four grips where mine have just 2, one big one on each side. Stiles, did you previously have the older style like mine? In other words, is it my type you didn't find satisfactory? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah Steve,

The one I didn't like had all one piece on each side. It did tighten with a wrench. It was probably me, but I like the X-chock better. I bought a pair of them.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I have the same as you Steve. I am not real satisfied with them. They are getting more and more difficult to apply and remove due to them rusting. Last week end I was hooking on and miss judged the alignment. I barely tapped the pin with the hitch and it knocked out both chocks and the trailer rolled back about 2'. I know I screwed up but felt like they should hold a little better than they did. Just my .02 cents.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote