Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Direct TV HD Antenna

We expect to take delivery on a 3475RL next month. As noted by some others it is now coming with a 27" LCD TV. I have been talking to Direct TV and several others trying to find a satellite that will work with HD TV before spending the money for an HD package and receiver. I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer

Mark

msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe the standard satellite antenna used for DirecTV works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't know there was a special HD antenna!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have a special LMB to pick up our HD at home. We have another for local channels and 2 others for other channels. At least that is what I think is the case. We don't have HD in the Montana, so we have another satellite with 3 LMBs. Our satellite at home is also shaped differently and is a bit larger than the one we have for the Montana. They charge $10 a month for HD programming and it is quite lacking so far. We have about 6 channels because though our locals do broadcast in HD, Direct TV does not so far have the equipment to transmit them. They have allowed us one major network on the west coast (ABC) so we can watch that network in HD. The other local networks refused to let us have their "sister" stations in HD on the west coast. If you subscribe to movie channels you probably will have more HD programming. You do have to have an HD receiver. No one told us we could have an HD DVR receiver when we signed up last spring, but that is the way to go.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Not wanting to dismantle our DirecTV set up at home (we did this previously), we purchased a second dish for the Monty. While researching prices, etc. I found one that had HD. We bought it thinking we will be ready for HD when the time comes. Like Nancy and Roy's it is a little larger (oval instead of round) and has 3 LMBs, one of which is HD. We use 2 receivers so we can watch different things (the key to a happy marriage). LOL
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Direct is in transition regarding HD. They're promising a lot more HD by the end of the year from providers who presently do not have HD signals (Sci-Fi, CNN and others). Currently local stations can be obtained over the air (OTA) with a regular UHF antenna and integrated into the HD receiver with the signals obtained from a 3 LNB dish (the oval one). Those satellite signals include Showtime, HBO, two ESPNs, Discovery, TNT, HDNet Movies, and HDNet. I'm not sure if the RV distant network program would allow you to receive the west/east coast feed of the big 4 networks in HD, the way you can now receive them in Standard Defintion.

However, with Direct's HD expansion, they've phased out the 3LNB dish and receivers. The new HD receiver (H20) and HD DVR (HR 20-700) require a 5 LNB dish which is much bigger and harder to mount. See a video here: http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...all_videos.asp
The advantage is that the new HD programming, when it arrives, will only be viewable on these new receivers, not the older ones (it's MPEG 4, rather than MPEG 2)and the new receivers will receive your local HD programs on a spot beam, so that if you travel close to home you'll get local HD programming (if you can set up that bigger dish).

Here's a forum with a lot of discussion about Direct's HD DVR situation: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....prune=60&f=112
and the non-DVR (but why wouldn't you want a DVR?) situation: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....sprune=60&f=78

Also, I'd be surprised if the new 27" LCD is an HD widescreen TV. It's more likely an SD 4:3 format TV, like the previously supplied Toshibas and Zeniths, just much lighter and thinner. You'll need to replace it with a widescreen TV if my guess is correct. A 32" widescreen display would have the same vertical height as the 27" 4:3 set, and be a bit wider, of course.

Bill

P.S. If you can mount and use that dish after watching the videos at Solid Signal, let me know.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Well I wonder if that means they will replace the dish they installed last spring for us since we subscribe to HD. I would hope so.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Roy,

They'll replace the receiver and dish (although whether it's for a nominal charge, free, or for the full price depends upon your bargaining skills and CSR roulette (each CSR you call offers different options). If you are looking for an upgrade, you'll get the best deal by asking for "retention." Those are the folks that sweeten the pot to keep you as a customer. In my earlier link to the HD DVR, you'll find a discussion about getting the best deal.

If your receiver is new enough that it can handle the MPEG 4 signals it won't need replacing. If like mine, it's a Tivo, it will still get what it now receives (as long as Direct continues to send those signals, which they will for several years). It won't get the new HD when those are available and the local HD (Medford for you) over the satellite. The earlier HD receivers could only receive the local signals by UHF antenna, which requires line of sight to the transmitting towers. The new receivers (HR 20-700 and H 20) can utilize both the OTA UHF signal and the MPEG 4 version of the big 4 locals that Direct is beginning to provide to localities nationwide by satellite. The satellite roll out is occurring in stages, with the bigger markets first. I'm not sure where Medford ranks on that list.

Bill
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Your information is very helpful, and thanks. We originally had Dish Network and changed last spring to upgrade to HD since Dish Network would not consider doing that for free. We have been a little upset by the local channels refusing us access to HD network channels on the west coast because they don't want us to miss any of the local commercials and news. As for Medford, you never know. With the information you have given us we will try to get a free upgrade to DVR and a new dish if needed to pick up additional HD if it is available.

See at Lake Siskiyou!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
We previously lived in a Challenger and needed to replace the TV, so when I upgraded I went to a HD LCD Monitor, they cost a lot less. I went through 4 before we ended up with a Samsung. That is one of the nice things about buying at Costco, there is absolutely no problem with returns.

I am not absolutely sure, but I believe whether it is DISH or DIRECT, we still need the receiver box. My research in August showed that DISH had the most HD programs available, and as the old saying goes, we get what we pay for.

We are now in Arizona and once the satellite was pointed right and we let DISH know where we were, all of out locals and HD channels are in HD. I love it and would not go back because as I understand it eventually everything will be HD. It appears that anything originally recorded in HD is re-broadcast in HD, regardless of the satellite channel. Of course we still get the old reruns in Standard Definition.

Our antenna is mounted on a tripod that I set where I can get a clear shot. This allows me to set up in the shade, when there are trees. My only caveat is to make sure you get the "Installation Instructions for Satellite Assembly" from the tech that installs the DISH 1000. It has the charts for elevation, skew and azimuth throughout the US.

Hope this helps in you decision process.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

The new Montana 27" TV is a HD, and has the DVI-D input.

Mark,

Thanks for the post, as I had the same question. I have a Roadtrip dual LNB dome waiting to go on the roof. As I undertand this thread, I should get HD through the existing satellites with this antenna. February 1 Dish is running a promo to upgrade existing recievers to HD. I'll upgrade one of ours to a new HD dual tuner DVRs (one tuner HD and one tuner SD) and put it in the Monty to run HD up front and standard in the bedroom. In theory, it should all work (gulp).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Brad

Ihave Direct TV. Based on Bill's comments, I went to the reference web sites which only led to more questions. The way I understand it, Direct TV is coming out with a new 5 LNB oval dish. It appears that this would be even more cumbersome to try and manually locate a signal. I was also checking on the stationary and moving track dome satellites which seemed to allude that HD signals could be received through some of these antennae. However, the more I read, the more confused I became and my approach right now is to wait and see. I find it hard to imagine that with the requirements for HD TV that RV suppliers won't find a way to satisfy the market, particularly if other manufacturers also move to put HD TVs in the rigs.

Mark
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mark - I guess there is a difference between Dish and DirectTV. We have Dish so should be no worries. Here is the FAQ from Winegard:

QUESTION:
Can I receive HDTV on my Winegard satellite dish?

ANSWER:
For Dish Network customers the answer is, YES! Dish Network and DirecTV both use the 110° satellite for HDTV programming. However, DirecTV requires a special LNBF that will not work with your Winegard satellite to receive this programming. Dish Network uses the LNBF for their HDTV programming, this LNBF comes with the Winegard dish.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mark
We are with you. We have decided to wait and see what happens in the future and then do whatever is needed. We are looking for a TV for the bedroom and think we will be sure is can get HD.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I am with the "wait and see's" on this one. I recently upgraded to a HDTV at home. I am able to receive about 10 Digital Channels on my OTA (over the air) antenna. Local news, sports events and several prime time shows are being broadcast in HD (High Definition - 6:9). Many programs are still SD (Standard Definition 4:3) but transmitted as Digital. Dishnetwork has a very limited amount of HD channels at the present time. I was excited to see that DirectTV is advertising that they will soon have the ability to transmit 150 channels in HD. This will require the new 5 LNB dish mentioned above and requires a HD DVR/Receiver. The problem is that DirectTV is having major problems with their HD-20 and other HD receivers. The technology was not quite ready for prime time.

I too, have heard that Dishnetwork is going to make some kind of announcement on February 1. I have been a Dishnetwork customer for about 4 years. I guess I'll have to wait and see what this announcement is about. Only two days away now. I hear that Dishnetworks HD DVR/Receivers are not without their own problems.

The good news is that the OTA DTV/HDTV signals in many metropolitan areas can be received via a good UHF antenna. I stuck one up that I hadn't used in ten years. The HD pictures are phenominal and they are FREE. I also have a RCA DVD Player/Recorder that I purchased at Wal*Mart and it does a good job of upscaling my old Standard Definition DVDs to HD 720p and 1080i. A HD-DVD or Blue Ray DVD Player is out of the question for me until the prices drop from the $400 - $1000 cost of today.

I guess I'll just have to be happy with OTA signals and upscaled DVD's until the technology sorts itself out. I've been on the bleeding edge with too many other electronic items, I'm going to have to wait on this one!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Bill,

The new Montana 27" TV is a HD, and has the DVI-D input.
Bill,
I need to correct myself. The TV uses the newer HDMI input for HD.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 AM   #16
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I have installed the Sanyo Vizon 32 inch HD LCD. Went with Direct TV account they have all the signals sent off one satelite. I did not go with the HD option yet account where we are located in the DFW area we get all the HD networks for free. We wired our Monty seperately from the existing wiring. The installer explained that it would work much better than trying to use the factory setup only. We run 2 feeds off of the dish to the DVR reciever in the livingroom and the have a seperate reciever and feed to the bedroom TV. The LCD runs off both feeds at the same time we can use the DVR remote to run the LCD on both the free air programming and Dish without getting up. Nice to be able to keep remotes to a minimum and still have all the options. Any questions PM me about where we ran the wiring it is a very nice install and portablability being very accomidating.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom, Did the 32 inch fit into the same hole as the factory 27 inch? How did you mount the new TV?

Thanks
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Brad,

I'm pleasantly surprised by your news that the LCD is HD. Of course,if I got a new Montana, it would be a pretty expensive upgrade just for HD. How is the set mounted? It doesn't need a deep hole like the old sets did. Does it just hang on the wall or cabinet?

Tom,

Are you using the HD-Tivo with the 3 LNB dish in your Montana? I've got to see the wiring. You made it sound as though both receivers (bedroom and living room) are connected into the one LCD. Our 2955 may not fit a 32" LCD in the area where the TV is now. The overhang on the side would extend into the stairway to the bedroom, I think. I'm still trying to figure that out. So far, I'm not in a rush, and like others am willing to leave the HD at home and travel with SD. The time, however, will come...

Bill
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi All, we went full time in Sept 06 and had Direct TV bring the new 5 LNB dish which is larger than the old type. We took the old 27 inch tv out when we got the Cambridge, we now have a 32 inch flat screen HDTV in the same place had to remove the base and I made a mount to fit the TV so it would fit the space of the old TV. We also have a HDTV flat screen in the bedroom also. We just came off a 7,000 mile plus trip. The new dish is more diffcult to assemble and we could get local channels and East/West but couldn't get HDTV on locals. Here in Tennessee we get locals on HDTV. We got the new HDTV 5 LNB system for $19.95 with a two year agreement. We were told Direct TV will have 138 more HD channels sometime this year. I have set this system up myself just following the menue off the TV and have really had no problem. You just have to make sure the Dish is level. I have a Surveyor type Tri-pod it makes it easy to get the system level. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depol, I got the idea from Maxwell Satellite system, my Hughes net Satellite system uses the same Tri-pod. In the near future all TV will only get HDTV, the old TV will not work unless you have a box for the HD. I believe Data Storm has a roof mounted system for HDTV, Winguard will have the HDTV system in late Feb or Mar. Good Luck on you choice, we Love our HDTV....GBY..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Phil,

Take look at the post I made that has the pics of the way our set up is. Just moved it back to the active topics list. It is listed under "Just like home now......." Also I am running two receivers one for the old bedroom TV and the DVR on the new 32 inch all independent of each other. PM me if you are interested in more detailed install. I have a couple of long winded responses saved and will be happy to send it to anyone interested.

Bill,

I just went with the digital DVR from DirectTV no HD from the dish. As said before we can get all the HD we need from the antenna that came with the Monty. At least until the newness wears off and the prices drop for the subscription and hardware to use it.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote