Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Elvis

M.O.C. #29380
Retiring in 2022

We bought a 2018 Montana 3700lk from a dealer on Friday. On Monday the drivers side skirting blew off and had to be reattached, on Tuesday the window covering on one of the small windows in the passenger side slide fell off, on Wednesday the window covering on one of windows on the driver side fell off and got stuck in both slides. When do things stop falling apart in these things?

Anyone else ever have the window coverings fall off and have to reattach them? How did you make them more secure?

Concerned we bought the wrong rv.

Tammy

Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
Thorsell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19945
Sorry that is happening to you. Did you have your 5th wheel inspected prior to buying a used unit? Will your dealership make it right for you? I think I would have it inspected with the dealership again and hopefully the dealership will agree to any needed repairs.

Blinds coming down/falling off happen from time to time for many. The company that makes the blinds and the holders, Irvine Shade is great to work with and will send you the new holders for free to replace the broken ones.

Owners who buy a used unit might save monies in the purchase but buyer beware, is especially important. Who knows what the previous owner did, roads travels or how they took care of the 5th wheel.

Definitely learning to perform maintenance is also important. We have well over 40,000+ miles with our 3790, have had a few issues, some we have addressed ourselves and understand that our rolling earthquakes can have things happen.

Respectfully,
Laura & Jerry Thorsell
Thorsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Part of the RV lifestyle is the realization that these things take a beating and maintenance and repair efforts never stop. Each time I fix something I replace not with OEM but better quality parts, example brass water inlet replacing the cheap plastic OEM fitting. Thankfully, many issues are easy to fix if if owners are at all handy with basic tools.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
everytime you travel, its like a mini-earthquake, things always need a little maintenance, some trips are very hard on the rig, some are easy. its part of the adventure. carry plenty of tools, screws, duct tape and patience.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
There is a 6.5 magnitude earthquake going on when these rigs are travelling down the road and with the condition of the roads, it's only going to get worse. Expect things to shake loose.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
TCmontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27810
We have had our unit for just over a year and have put a good bit of miles on it. AS many have said, the unit inside and out takes a beating just because of the roads and what ever. I try, like so many others to keep enough on hand to get me out of a pinch. There is always something to fix, repair or adjust. That is what makes this an adventure. To some that is what makes this fun too.
TCmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #7
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I would say that everything previously stated is 100% true but there is also the simple fact most brand RV manufacturers (including Keystone) lack quality in materials when these units are built for the obvious reasons to save a buck and weight issues. However, Once you get to know your unit up, down, inside & out it becomes a habit to constantly be looking for potential issues that may arise that need attention or could leave you stuck somewhere. Truthfully, for the money spent you would think materials used would be of greater quality but this is pretty much true with all products made these days...
Old 09-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
First, welcome aboard! Good to have you here. My guess is that, in the long run, you will be happy with your purchase. Over the years I've seen reports of skirting blowing off and window shades falling. Those kinds of things happen all the time...just unfortunate that 3 events hit you all at once. There's already been many references to rolling earthquakes and the need to be a handyman...all true. Little things can happen and likely will. If you're handy and have tools with you then it's pretty easy to manage. Personally, I enjoy the little projects that pop up and I enjoy the process of making it better than it was. You'll get to know your rig and will enjoy it. Good luck and drive safely.

Hang in there. Let's hope that Elvis doesn't leave the building
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote