Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
Greg Price

M.O.C. #27620
I want a Montana!

Hi all, long time RVers here. We have just sold our Class A and getting back to 5th wheels. I am focused on a 2021 Montana 3120 with full body paint, slide toppers, solar etc that is at a semi-local dealer to us. My wife is more cautious and slower to make a decision. I'm working on her!!

We are in Lower Lake, CA, which is an hour north of Napa for you wine lovers. We have quite a wine culture up here as well.

I am a retired police officer and my wife is still working (for another year) as a manager for a local county agency. I told her today that we could make the rally in Quartzite, but she laughed at me.

Looking forward to help and information that this forum will provide.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Greg,

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck convincing your wife. Hope to see you at Quartszite.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Price View Post
Hi all, long time RVers here. We have just sold our Class A and getting back to 5th wheels. I am focused on a 2021 Montana 3120 with full body paint, slide toppers, solar etc that is at a semi-local dealer to us. My wife is more cautious and slower to make a decision. I'm working on her!!

We are in Lower Lake, CA, which is an hour north of Napa for you wine lovers. We have quite a wine culture up here as well.

I am a retired police officer and my wife is still working (for another year) as a manager for a local county agency. I told her today that we could make the rally in Quartzite, but she laughed at me.

I think you'll like it.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
wjg315
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21318
Welcome to the forum.
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Do your self a favor and skip the 2500 and step up to the 3500 and have a better overall TV.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Agree with above poster, a 3500 / 350 would provide a nicer ride, and dually even better. But at a length of 35 feet and approximately 12,000 pounds (shipping weight), you'll probably be OK with the 2500. Besides, the 2500 is brand new, and I'm absolutely sure you won't be trading it and others have successfully towed similar rigs and had good success.

Congrats on your decision for the Montana. Just be aware, you'll have some fixes and bloopers to look after. If you are capable of fixing things yourself, you're better off. Waiting on warranty repairs from a dealership can keep you on hold much longer than you want. Just expect some issues to arise.

My suggestion is, if you do not have the time, tools, space, or knowledge of how to fix a problem.... then take it to your dealer for warranty. If you know how to use a screw driver, you can fix cabinet doors youself.

Still... nice choice! And (once all the little bugs get worked out), you'll REALLY enjoy that camper!

Congrats!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Greg Price

M.O.C. #27620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Do your self a favor and skip the 2500 and step up to the 3500 and have a better overall TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Agree with above poster, a 3500 / 350 would provide a nicer ride, and dually even better. But at a length of 35 feet and approximately 12,000 pounds (shipping weight), you'll probably be OK with the 2500. Besides, the 2500 is brand new, and I'm absolutely sure you won't be trading it and others have successfully towed similar rigs and had good success.

Congrats on your decision for the Montana. Just be aware, you'll have some fixes and bloopers to look after. If you are capable of fixing things yourself, you're better off. Waiting on warranty repairs from a dealership can keep you on hold much longer than you want. Just expect some issues to arise.

My suggestion is, if you do not have the time, tools, space, or knowledge of how to fix a problem.... then take it to your dealer for warranty. If you know how to use a screw driver, you can fix cabinet doors youself.

Still... nice choice! And (once all the little bugs get worked out), you'll REALLY enjoy that camper!

Congrats!
Thanks guys. I understand the advantages of a 3500, but also the limitations of a slightly stiffer ride when not towing. I've been towing since I was 16 and have a class A license, so not new to me, but I appreciate the comments.

I am pretty handy and this will be our 5th RV, so minor repairs are not an issue for me.

Thanks again and I look forward to the advice and information that can be found here.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! We're on our second Montana and also own a High Country so we are Montana believers. If you get a new Dodge 3500 the air suspension is totally adjustable so you don't have to have a stiff ride when not towing. Just saying.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Welcome, I agree the 3500 ( but a 2500 will work in this case) would give you a wider margin in weight and ride. I ordered a 2020 ("everything" except paint) in Sacramento (not Camping World) and highly recommend the dealer, beat everyone's price and service is great.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Fantastic, and Welcome!
I recently purchased a 2020 3120 RL, with a Chevy 3500. Sounds like you will have a similar set-up. You will love it!
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
John&LauraK

M.O.C. #24186
Welcome to the forum. I'm a retired LEO as well, from Napa. We bought our Montana from Reeds RV in Petaluma 3 years ago. I really shopped around and they gave us the best price. Their service department is very efficient and accomodating as well. Can't say enough good about them.
John&LauraK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
Welcome and good luck with your new coach.... hopefully!!
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Great choice, but I may be a bit biased.

Id go F-450 for that sweet turning radius, again, biased.

I couldn't have ordered my 3121 any better (ours was on the lot already), paint, legacy package, we added a 3rd ac at the dealer, great units in my book!

Just take your time on the PDI and get everything documented and fixed.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Price View Post

Greg Price-
Welcome to the forum. I work for Montana. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #15
Spike
Established Member

M.O.C. #26885
DutchmenSport is "spot on" about repairs on a new rig.
I'm coming up on the 1 year mark of owning my 2020 3790RD.
I retired, but my wife is still working, with less than 2 years before we hit the road full time. I don't want to scare you, but in the last year my Montana has had issues with the heater, hydraulics, leaks, frame issues, side panel supports, and more. It's been in the shop for over 140 days, not to mention the 56 days of waiting for my appointment date. I have only taken it out 4 time but planning one more this month. We did spend many nights parked at my home (since we live on forested property it still feels like camping). I wanted to get all the warranty work done and all the quirks figured out before it gets real.
With COVID, the RV dealerships are booming and it's taken a month or longer, just to get into the shop. All that said I still love the layout and it is something we can see living in for an extended period of time.
Now that my original warranty is almost up, I am fixing minor repairs on my own, and I got an extended for bigger repairs, so I hope I will be good to go when we do start living our dream.
I know the "don't make them like they used to", but this has been a learning year for us and our traveling RV friends who plan to buy a new rig this year.
Good Luck
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
So tell me why you’d rather a fifth wheel than an A? We had a C, pop-up and a few fifth wheels was wondering if an A is easier?
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
Theo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25640
Better check your warranties not sure Montana is the rv is use to be
I bought a 3811MS in 2018 the unit has 2100 miles on it the unit has not been moved since October 2019 about 4 weeks ago went to clean the roof an check things an found the right side radius capping on the side lifting appx 35 ft
Keystone said I’m out of warranty but will pay 8 hr of tech time to repair I think there is structural issues going on BUT nope they won’t budge not happy since I check the roof In June an cleaned it
My unit listed for 109,000.00 I expect more from keystone not sure if I will ever buy another of their products
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
Craig Orr

M.O.C. #27232
Hi Greg,
We got a new 2021 Montana Legacy 3121 RL this summer. It has the Sterling full body paint, slide toppers, generator prep with residential fridge. It also has disc brakes, which are a game changer. We absolutely love it, only complaint is the king mattress which we added 3” memory foam pad and all is good.

Best of luck,

Craig Orr
Craig Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #19
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
Disappointed

First of all good luck with the unit. I hope you really enjoy it. I finally got so disappointed in mind that I sold it about two months ago and went to a travel trailer at about a third of the cost of my Montana 305 RL and I can see so many other things that are so much better in this travel trailer but it’s really disappointing to see Montana have the price they do on a unit and the quality be so pathetic but I am just one of a few that didn’t have a good experience . They have the potential to be the most awesome trailer out there. I’ve pulled various brands for a dealership locally and they’re one of the better towing units but some of the things are just so ridiculous that I couldn’t take it anymore but like I said before I’m just one of the very few people with a disappointing experience. Anyway enjoy your unit and have a great holiday
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Good Luck with the wife..

We love our Anniversary edition 3121RL. Towing it with a Ram 2500, even with the washer dryer in the nose it tows like a dream, stops just fine too.

I use air bags on about 30lbs just to smooth the ride out. Truck sits level
fully loaded ready to roll even without them. Your 2500 will do just fine. You will love the rig as well. Perfect floor plan for the two of us, and still small enough we can get in most spots/ campgrounds with no issue..

Good luck and happy travels!

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Carguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote