Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Kevin Hartnett

M.O.C. #25846
Angry First Dealer Experience

Our first dealer experience was not the best to say the least. Everyone tried to worn us not to use this one, but of coarse we said we had to forge our own opinion button we should have listened. The items on our first punch list was not out of the ordinary. First was a leaky hose which wasn’t connected from the factory. No big deal right. It just gets better from that point. Second was a leaky jack. The jack was leaking when we picked it up so they tightened the hose and said it was good. Well it wasn’t good. Sitting in the driveway the jack faded or failed sinking out of level. Then the system got a function disabled code when we went to hook up again. Technician says he tightened a fitting and it held over night so good. I have a feeling well be back for that same problem over and over. When we plugged the light into the power strip on the awning the radio we were playing went off. Tech said he hooked it up and no issue. Service guy said we probably didn’t have enough power. The rig was plug in to house and batteries were fully charged. Maybe some one can explain to me how much power I need to work these lights on the power strip. I figured that 12 v should do it no. Best part is because they didn’t find any issue is tha they are charging me time to hook up the light. Really!. Wait it gets better. While bondocking the water pump would run every so often all night long with no faucet on. I was told we had the wrong valve off so that was the problem. Actually the quote said “human error”. First of all all I did was turn the pump on. And secondly during work thru was never shown any special valve that needed to be on so the pump wouldn’t run all night long. Oh yeah they charged me for that one too. We said check out fireplace to make sure it was working proper. They said it was and charged us for that one. LED awning lights look to me as if they were coming off. They aren’t straight along the awning. I was told they were fine that’s the way they are and they charge me to look at awning lights. K enough is enough I could go on and on but I wont.
Starting to wonder why I bought they extended warranty if I’m going to get charged every time the technician looks at something weather on not he fixes it or not. Very very disappointed with the way things are going so far. When it was a mom and pop shop years ago there was a lot better service than now when its a nation wide conglomerate. Would NOT recommend this place to anyone. As a matter of fact gonna tell everyone I know not to go there

Kevin Hartnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Camping World, right?

About the water pump. There is a valve in the wet bay that you flip when you fill your fresh water tank to "fill". After the tank is filled, that valve needs to be flipped back to its normal run/or on position. If you don't, the water pump will continue to cycle on and off every few minutes. They all do this. The reason is, water is actually back-feeding into the fresh water tank, from the tank, back to the tank, causing the pump to kick on for a few spirts and then off again.

When hooked up to city water (running off a garden hose), that valve is never in the "fill" position, and the water pump is turned off (you don't need it).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kevin,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

Find a different place to service your RV - you do not need to use the selling dealer for warranty work.

Our local Camping World does a great job and I didn't buy there.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
WMJourney
Established Member

M.O.C. #26193
Unfortunately Camping World is the "Walmart of RV Dealerships" (as I like to refer to them). They are high volume sales and high volume service. I could go on for days about how terrible they are. However, just like a Walmart, you have good ones and bad ones. The main driving force behind any of them is their store's GM. Although, even with a bad GM, if you know your way around the dealership and know what they're "infamous" for, you can get away with more than your average camper.

You have to stick to your guns when it comes to CW. Some of them will always try to "stick it to ya!" every chance they can. Do your homework first. Reach out to the manufacturer of the RV or the appliance you're having problems with. A lot of times they can walk you through the simple troubleshooting over the phone. Also, if you find that the quick-fix isn't working, have them recommend a service shop near you and go in prepared.

I worked over my local CW like Mike Tyson on Michael Spinks! Funny thing is, my salesman keeps in touch with me (he's not a fan but it's a job). He tells me that the GM uses my name as the type of customer to avoid! I love it. I got one heck of a deal and ticked him off in the process. Of course a couple of calls to their corporate office helped my case...especially when I compared their sales techniques to extortion (definitely not legal).

Watch out for CW and like AZ Traveler said, don't feel compelled to take it to the dealership you bought from. Believe it or not, I use Gander (yes, another Marcus Lemonis establishment) and they are right next door to CW. I like Gander because the GM makes all the difference. They are a phenomenal dealership with fantastic service.

I hope you stick to your guns and stop paying for things you shouldn't. Don't let them force you into paying for anything under warranty. Call corporate if you have to in order to get your way. Good luck.
WMJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We are on our second unit from CW. We have had good luck and experience so far with them. I will say that, thanks to my own research primarily on this forum, I knew more about our unit than the tech that did our walk through when we took delivery last October. BTW, I learned about the pump and fill valve on our first trip out. No one told us either.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #6
Kevin Hartnett

M.O.C. #25846
Dutchman
Thanks. Had a TT and a C. Was never shown such valve at walk thru.
Thank You again
Old 05-14-2020, 05:49 AM   #7
Kevin Hartnett

M.O.C. #25846
AZ thanks for the info
Old 05-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
Kevin Hartnett

M.O.C. #25846
WM
Lots of good info
Thank You
Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Kevin Hartnett

M.O.C. #25846
RMc
Family has gone there since I was a kid and it was CBarn. Used to camp in the field once a year for an customer appreciation outing. Thought we did our homework and traveled all over looking at rigs. Thanks for info
Old 05-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hartnett View Post
Our first dealer experience was not the best to say the least................Would NOT recommend this place to anyone. As a matter of fact gonna tell everyone I know not to go there
We are sorry about your experience with this dealer. Fortunately we have very good luck with our fifth wheel trailer dealer in Pismo Beach, CA....so much so we purchased our second and third trailers from them. The last one was a 2020 Montana 3780 purchased in January. The dealer gave us a good sight unseen trade-in in both of the purchases. Sales, service and finance guys were very knowledgeable and there were no warranty issues.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately not all dealers are the good. We have had good luck with the dealer we bought at. Have not had any service work done I do it all myself. It should not weeks to do work I can do in a day or two weather it under warranty or not!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hartnett View Post
Our first dealer experience was not the best to say the least. Everyone tried to worn us not to use this one, but of coarse we said we had to forge our own opinion button we should have listened. The items on our first punch list was not out of the ordinary. First was a leaky hose which wasn’t connected from the factory. No big deal right. It just gets better from that point. Second was a leaky jack. The jack was leaking when we picked it up so they tightened the hose and said it was good. Well it wasn’t good. Sitting in the driveway the jack faded or failed sinking out of level. Then the system got a function disabled code when we went to hook up again. Technician says he tightened a fitting and it held over night so good. I have a feeling well be back for that same problem over and over. When we plugged the light into the power strip on the awning the radio we were playing went off. Tech said he hooked it up and no issue. Service guy said we probably didn’t have enough power. The rig was plug in to house and batteries were fully charged. Maybe some one can explain to me how much power I need to work these lights on the power strip. I figured that 12 v should do it no. Best part is because they didn’t find any issue is tha they are charging me time to hook up the light. Really!. Wait it gets better. While bondocking the water pump would run every so often all night long with no faucet on. I was told we had the wrong valve off so that was the problem. Actually the quote said “human error”. First of all all I did was turn the pump on. And secondly during work thru was never shown any special valve that needed to be on so the pump wouldn’t run all night long. Oh yeah they charged me for that one too. We said check out fireplace to make sure it was working proper. They said it was and charged us for that one. LED awning lights look to me as if they were coming off. They aren’t straight along the awning. I was told they were fine that’s the way they are and they charge me to look at awning lights. K enough is enough I could go on and on but I wont.
Starting to wonder why I bought they extended warranty if I’m going to get charged every time the technician looks at something weather on not he fixes it or not. Very very disappointed with the way things are going so far. When it was a mom and pop shop years ago there was a lot better service than now when its a nation wide conglomerate. Would NOT recommend this place to anyone. As a matter of fact gonna tell everyone I know not to go there
Did you want to mention the sorry dealers name and address so everyone reading the forum knows where not to buy their next RV? We had a bad experience with RV Nation in Nacogdoches, Texas. Lots of unfulfilled promises made at the time of the sale. They say anything to get your signature on the sales contract. My mistake was not getting their promises in writing with their signature on it. That won't happen again.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote