Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, your owners manual should state what specs the oil must meet. As noted above, there are special designations for diesel. As for the Quaker State brand in general, I believe it's good oil. I used Motorcraft for years in my gassers and first diesel and in this one until a couple of months ago. I had a guy at Walmart (back when I used to let them change the oil) ask me why I don't use Rotella T like most of the rest of the diesel world. When I asked a Jiffy Lube guy he told me probably 80% of the diesel oil changes they do at that particular store use Rotella T. Those comments added to what I'd already heard from several individuals. I had heard absolutely nothing bad so I switched.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #22
carmzen

M.O.C. #5557
im an old truck driver and ive seen my oil that has been changed go black with less than a thousand miles on the engine it's normal
carmzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #23
c est la vie

M.O.C. #1727
Hi I would like to add my 5 cents worth here some may disagree some may agree I worked 51 years as a caterpillar engine mechanic I may not know everything but have a lot of experience and have never to date had a engine problem with any of the 5 Ford Diesels I have owned I have used Delo 400 (Chevron) in all my trucks in the older trucks I changed at 4000 miles oil and filters bought at Walmart ie' Motocraft filters were always used I use oil sampling extensively its the cheapest most effecient way to guide you to prevent failures that I know of Last year it saved me a differential that the posi discs had broken and would have destroyed it had I not sampled and the results were scary so off to the dealer who removed cover to find large broken pieces and all that was required was 2 bearings and a set of discs. yet the oil appeared fine looking at it .Back to engine oil I change mine at 10000 miles with a sample being taken at 5000 a new filter and 2 quarts added at that time If I am near home I sometimes sample at 7500 miles if travelling I do not I just change at 10000 and sample then . We are talking 1999 F-350 at 89000 miles now I never add oil and i drive at 68 mph while towing a 35 foor Mountaineer which is 2000 rpm and get 11 to 12 mpg constantly Incidentally my truck has a 6 speed manual trans I was so unhappy with last truck and electronic auto trans every time you step on throttle to gain some speed it down shifts and that stinks.I might add tat Caterpillar Dealers all offer SoS (Scheduled Oil Sampling kits ) Their Labs are much better equipped than most other labs giving you up to 16 different wear metals resulte as well as infrared analysis which is able to detect how much soot is in your oil (thats the culprid that turns your oil BLACK)and it is abrasive as well Feel free to email me if I can help or answer any questions I will If I dont know thw answer I will tell you so.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

Mine gets black and I am sure that is normal.

I use Rotella T Synthetic in the Engine and MObile 1 ATF syn in the tranny.

You will get some arguments on what is best but I can get the Rotella at Walmart which makes it convenient. Change my own oil.

You can always send your oil off for testing. Blackstone is popular. They will send you a free sampling kit with instructions. The analysis will show how your engine is doing with your chosen oil.

www.blackstone-labs.com

260 744 2380

c est la vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #24
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Went looking for my favorite but $$ diesel oil Mobil 1 5w40 for diesel use at Wally World. They no longer carry it but I found I think it is called Shell Rotella Synthetic 15W40? Has anyone used this and is a new product or just new to me?

Thanks for the help!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #25
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

Went looking for my favorite but $$ diesel oil Mobil 1 5w40 for diesel use at Wally World. They no longer carry it but I found I think it is called Shell Rotella Synthetic 15W40? Has anyone used this and is a new product or just new to me?

Thanks for the help!
Bob,

I put Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 in my truck 3000 miles ago. It was $15 a gallon at Wal-Mart. It’s been around for quite a while. I read about it on the TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) I plan on changing at the recommended interval of 7500 miles. The dealer charges me $69 per oil change so, 3X$15 Shell Rotella T Synthetic + $10 Fleetguard oil filter saves me around $14. It took me about a half hour to do. This is the first oil change I’ve personally done in 15 years. I figure I’m getting the benefit of synthetic for less than a dealer service. This MHO, YMMV.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote