Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #61
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

FYI..When you get the trailer disconnects /error msg's that does not necessarily mean that you have NO brakes at all. In my case I had all my lights/signals and it FELT like I had all my brakes..However the problem was in ONE hub were the wires to the the electric brakes on that wheel had broken off so that wheel only was not braking.I had three wheels worth of brakes.To me the good news was that the TBC caught the problem.At first I began to panic and said ye gods we have no camper brakes .Sent Helen out side and locked up the brakes...3 wheels stopped..1 did not/// so aside from the annoying ding,ding,ding the chances are you have most of your brakes and can stop OK..would check it out to make sure just to ease your mind... We will be going to T&C in a few days..will pry a little on your problem without mentioning any names..Advise us if you still have the problem or if it mysteriously repaired itself.
Rich,

I'm glad I have some brakes when that's alarming. Even with the alarm on, I could hit the slide paddle and get to feel some braking. I can’t tell if it was braking with my using the truck’s brakes, alone, though. But we had always been able to stop when we had to. But I hate “unknowns.”

But it's sure been nice the past couple of days, with no "Ding...Ding...Ding!"

Two added camping days in Ohio: $80.00.

Service Charge to check for what should have been a warranty problem: $58.00.

And the feeling that I won't have to go plead a case at a Ford dealer who didn't sell me this truck: Priceless!

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #62
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dewey, that's exactly my issue with the controller. Those built after 3/23/05 send more voltage to the trailer brakes than those built prior to that date. That's just with the manual lever operating the brakes. The brake pedal sends enough voltage (I think so anyhow) but I haven't figured out how to pop the slider while holding the trailer still with the brake pedal. I guess I'll have to block the trailer wheels.

I emailed Ford's Customer Satisfaction people using their website. I don't have the url any more but I think I got there through www.ford.com . If not there, then do a google search on 'ford customer satisfaction'. They ended up calling me abou t my concern. Long story but the latest is if I want the newer controller I'll have to pay for it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:18 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's a positive out look Steve.I'm one of those guys that would have been standing right there monitoring everything that service did..like it or not. I figure yes they may be uncomfortable with me watching but I am uncomfortable with maybe having no brakes....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #64
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I'll consider this a lesson learned.

Next time...I'm bringing a lawn chair and umbrella!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote