Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
WSKGunn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28474
2021 Keystone Montana HC 294RL Quick Review

We did not have to order our 294RL, the model with the options we wanted was available in inventory at the dealer. Delivery was great and all appliances were tested and in working order. We did have to have the surfaces wiped down and after a 250 mile road trip we notice sawdust in several areas but overall construction seemed to be fine , there are a few weak points that we will need to handle with extra care , the floor between the Dinette and Power theater seat ,seems to be a bit weak as when I step in that area I can see items on the dinette move slightly . That being said I am a bit overweight. The top board of the under sink cabinets seems to be a weak point as well. A couple other things I thought to be odd: the front windshield blind track is too short it should be 6” longer if you pull the shade to the bottom of the window there is not track to hold it in place so the entire blind comes out of the track and leans forward , the toilet paper holder is not installed they state “ put it where you want it “ if there was only a place that isn’t behind you that would be good . When any of the blinds are down or simi-down, any movement (wind, walking etc. ) caused the blind to rattle around in the track . The stereo has a usb port but will only play music or show pictures (what no video option? what year is this?) no problem a cheap small video reader is available on amazon . All of the problems listed are easy fixes and probably cheap to remediate. Now the positive (far outweighs the small gripes) .
The refrigerator is large and can be opened with the slide in, this make loading the refrigerator at a storage facility easy. You can also get to the bedroom and bathroom with the slides closed. The shower is also accessible with the slides closed, this is important to us as we often pull off the highway for an overnight stay on a long trip. There is a lot of storage inside and outside the 294RL. The flooring is very easy to keep clean and the woven flooring under the table are huge improvement over rugs. There are plenty of windows on the door side of the trailer but only one on the non-door side, Many of the windows open ( I did not opt for the frameless window open) . the overall feel of the living room is large due to the ash cabinet colors and the overall floor plan . The television and entertainment center can be seen from any seat it the living room , that sofa in the back is not a hide-a-bed but rather a trifold bed with some storage underneath it . The theater seating has a removable center drink holder and the electric recline works off of the inverter as well as regular power ( best seat in the house is the theater seat next to the window , nothing like a nice summer breeze and a nap ) The bathroom is large and shower a nice large corner shower with a foot step and nice showerhead (not a basic rv showerhead ) because the bedroom slide extends into the bathroom there is a lot of storage in bathroom cabinets the lower cabinet is plumed for a Washer and Dryer combo) The bedroom feels large and with a king size bed it still not too small there is one window and the slide and the window opens ( did I mention there is nothing like a nice summer breeze and a nap? )
The solar package was a great option and has the ability to be expanded with 2 more panels. Solar is not for everyone and will not handle high workloads without additional panels and storage capacity . you will have to do some math as to how much wattage you can use at one time as an example you probably wouldn’t want to run a coffee maker and blow dryer at the same time . But a TV, A Computer and a ceiling fan sure. If you are a solar owner you will become aware of what wattage an appliance uses .
This trailer tows nice, we had a bottle of wine in the cabinet next to the microwave and I thought after driving over RR track I was in for a disaster, Nope still standing upright. I do loose about 1 MPG due to its height but it is well worth it. I tow with a 2014 Ford 250 Super Duty with Airlift bags @ 15- 20lbs

Pros
• Built in Solar package
• Beautiful design
• Large capacity refrigerator
• 12gal Hot water heater
• Lots of windows that open
Cons
• Loud Water Pump
• Floor between love seat and dinette seems weak
• Windshield blind track too short
Why?
• Quieter Water Pump
• Add a Shelf on Cupboards on the sides of the microwave
• Why not extend the windshield blind track

WSKGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
DesertDogs

M.O.C. #29461
Thanks for the review. We just picked up a 2021 294RL and love it. I agree about the shelves by the microwave. Seems like a lot of wasted space so I am shopping for shelves.
DesertDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Al & Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27372
2021 294Rl

We also have a 2021 294RL. We have had this 5th wheel for almost one year now, and in general we are very happy with it. We love the size, floor plan and design. I would pretty much agree with your entire review. I have had to do various small repair jobs of items that I feel should have be done during production. We have added shelves in the cabinets on either side of the microwave.
I have just dropped it off at the dealer to have the safety recall completed, and to repair a couple more minor issues before the warranty runs out!
Old 09-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
There's nothing you can do about the bouncy floor in that slide. It's a single layer of plywood...I'm not sure if it's 3/8" or 1/2"...it's inadequate either way. Like mine, your table is likely screwed to the floor. The screws on mine were actually sticking out under the slide through the Darco. I got tired of the table bouncing just trying to sit down in the dining chairs so I remounted the table. It's now attached to the wall under the window with a single leg supporting the other end right at the edge of the slide floor...table bounce gone. The bouncy floor is much less noticeable when the table stays stationary. YMMV.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I can give you a recommendation for the toilet paper holder. Throw it away! Simply pick up a self-standing paper towel holder, one like you would put on your kitchen table and put 2 or 3 rolls of toilet paper on it, instead of paper towel. Then, simply put the towel holder anywhere you want. We've been doing this with 3 different RV now, as brand new trailers never have the toilet paper holder installed anywhere. Actually, like you said, there is no good place to put it on the wall anyway.

Here's a photo of ours. This is the 3rd trailer it's been in. It usually had 3 rolls on it. I took this photo when I installed the Bidet on the toilet. We don't use toilet paper any more, but we do keep some handy all the time. Not everyone appreciates a Bidet you know.

Here's the same paper towel holder in our previous Outback travel trailer:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Inspector0128
Established Member

M.O.C. #25705
Might be time to review the truck. No way possible for you not to be overweight with a 3/4 ton truck pulling a 14,000 lb trailer with a pin weight of close to 3000 lbs. Ask me how I know. Been there, done that with our 294RL.
Inspector0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
WSKGunn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28474
Might be time to review the truck. No way possible for you not to be overweight with a 3/4 ton truck pulling a 14,000 lb trailer with a pin weight of close to 3000 lbs. Ask me how I know. Been there, done that with our 294RL

Thank You inspector0128 . I have been round and round about trucks , I ended up bagging my truck and do not travel with water and with very little food , I have about 1500 miles on these Crappy California Roads ( Hiway and Freeway does the building and rebuilding ever end ?) with no issues "knock on wood" i would however upgrade to a 1 ton .
WSKGunn is offline   Reply With Quote