Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
KMann

M.O.C. #28604
Angry new 2021 HC 384 - quasi dead refrigerator :(

First off - so glad I found this site! We keep our RV at a lake from May-October and had a big ol Alfa Gold the past 7 years......Anyhow, I am hoping the brain trust here can help....because I really dont have time for a 3 week out to get in and 3 week at the dealer service. We just picked up our new 2021 HC 384BR, spent a few nights in it and I thought the fridge just needed a bit to "warm up" the freezer worked fine but fridge was not really cold. My husband was just up at the RV several hours away and said it is dead. The digital display is working and so are the lights but nothing is cool. I called the dealer ship and they suggested a propane flush, then an fuse and electrical check. I am hoping it is something along those lines. Has anyone else had this issue? We had a dometic double in our last RV and the repair cost us $1,0000.00 to fix. Im praying this will not be the case. Im also praying I have magical RV repair skills. Thanks : )

seasonal lakefront in NorCal
KMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
First welcome to the forum. I am guessing you have an absorption refrigerator. Either Norcold or Dometic. Have you tried it on electric and propane? Have you gone to the outside and taken the vent cover off to see if burner is working on propane. Are the evaporator coils getting hot? Start from there.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
KMann

M.O.C. #28604
Its a Dometic - the four door. It was working on both the first two nights. I am going to go up and assess the drama this weekend and hopefully between here and you tube I can maybe solve the problem....At the time, I was trying to direct him by text on what to do but he was so irritated it turned into a lost cause I will check on the coils as well....Thanks!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If the freezer is working but the frig isn't cold enough it is probably the thermistor either having come off of the fins or not being in the proper position. There should be you tube videos on how to correctly position it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kat,

Make sure the flap between the two fridge doors is closing.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
If you've checked everything else and it runs great on 120V but not on propane, check to see if the top of the flame pipe is not covered in insulation and blocking the exhaust near the top. It happened on my Norcold and we didn't know until the first trip out it wasn't cooling down.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
KMann

M.O.C. #28604
I noticed that was a pain to deal with - what a ridiculous closure. OUr old one would actually snap shut, this one I have to double check that it is closed....