Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumri View Post
All space between the front of the truck bed and the 5th wheel on our F-350 dually is reserved for tools. My tool boxes stay on the dually full time. Whenever and wherever I need a tool or air compressor, cordless drill, cordless dremel, etc... It is on the dually.
You sir are a genius! lol... me too.

Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #22
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We full time and work, I carry what ever it takes to repair the 5th and my truck and service work. While throwing down a CC is inviting I do like saving my $$$$$ unless absolutely necessary and yes we still have our Home as well but our 5th never makes it back to the house.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #23
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
I'm with Woodworker. I have a good size 4 drawer w/lid box secured in place where a generator would be. My box with tools probably weighs close to 250 lbs. which is 150 lbs less than a 5000 watt Onan. No, I haven't used every tool in there, but I have used some I didn't think I ever would. So, if you prefer a credit card over handy and available, that's fine. Me, I don't want to add an hour (or longer) to any fix just because I have to go buy another tool I left at home.
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #24
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I can pick up my tools with one hand. it is all in one bag thats all I have ever needed. Mine is a 03 3280 RL Maybe you need more with the newer rigs LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #25
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
LOL. Could possibly be, but, the same tools are not just for my trailer. They can be used on my truck (luckily hasn't been needed yet) and for other campers who don't have any (which has happened).
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #26
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Duck tape(Gorilla brand) and WD40. You all know the rest.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #27
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbk View Post
Cyndee and I have our Montana and in the process of setting it up.
I have read through the 'necessary' tools to bring along...and I must be mis-reading or mis-understanding something.

a basic tool assortment (not my 3/4 or 1 inch drive stuff )....dewalt 18v tools, 1/4 and 3/8 sockets, pliers, hex and torx tools, etc. must weigh close to 300 pounds and in 4 soft sided bags.

I feel I am way overdoing this, but it is not that much in the way of tools....and does not include the hydraulic jack and tools for a tire change.

As the model Montana we have (3820FK) does not have that much storage anyway...what am I missing. there are limited opportunities to add storage that I see

Thanks for the insights
bryon
300 lbs??? My tool box, not including my portable power drill, driver, two batteries, charger and torque wrench, weigh maybe 40 lbs. My basic socket wrench and case maybe 5-10 pounds. I do have a strong air compressor as well. I have all the basics with screw drivers, two small and one full size vice grips. I may have a few extra items I may not use but not 300 pounds worth. Like others have mentioned, I try to carry what I would need for repairs I can do myself. If I need to change a tire i call my roadside insurance and have them do it. Any heavy lifting or extensive repairs either goes to my roadside coverage or the shop. Just not as young as I used to be. I’ m handy enough for the little stuff but thats it. I’ m also not full time. I have a lot more tools at the house that have been collected over the years, but try to carry only what I can use on the road for the 5er. Sounds like you can scale back quite a bit.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Craftsmen tool kit the size of a laptop and maybe 2" thick containing 1/4 and 3/8 standard and metric sockets & extensions, combo wrenches 3/8 to 3/4 and 6" crescent.
screwdriver kit with one handle and every tip imaginable. Small tool box from HF with various pliers, slip joint, side cutters, needle nose, allen sets, and other loose stuff. Bag of DeWalt cordless tools incl. drill, impact, sawzall and batteries, drills and blades. Small Chaftsman 150 psi ac/dc compressor. Kit of elec. connectors with crimping tool, VOM. Torque wrench w/one socket for lugs along with cheap breaker bar and cheater pipe all in one case.
All totaled I'm guessing around 100 lbs and stored mostly in the front gen compartment. No bottle jack, rig has hydraulic level up jacks.
Started out with probably 250lbs of tools but paired it down over the years. I also buy special individual things like the socket for the W/H anode/drain that I keep right in the w/h compartment, and the socket for the lug nuts.
We are full time for half the year in one location and I also do some mod projects during that time and I find I usually have the tool I need. If not Lowe's is close by.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #29
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I considered myself to be way over-tooled in our 5r. We had nowhere near 300#, including the drill w/2 batteries, pancake air compressor, Viair air compressor, giant jack stands, 20-ton bottle jack, battery impact, and a big assortment of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, wrenches, along with the 3/4 break-bar to remove the H2O heater element. Close to 100#.