Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #141
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
If all those failures were caused by design flaws and not improper use or installation, where are the lawsuits, in this day and age there should be many and steep. If there were issues their insurance company that has $5,000,000.00 policy would pull that.
It comes down to you either like the advantages or are more concerned with the safety. I my self am more concerned following or passing someone pulling a 40' trailer with an F250 or 2500.

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #142
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I saw the test Andersen had on video. That is all fine and dandy but vertical is not the main stress a camper puts on a hitch it’s horizontal. Andersen didn’t show that. Wonder why? I’ll bet they did that test.
Lynwood

Lynwood, I'll bet you have an opinion on the subject

Brad
Old 07-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #143
Salineriverman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29050
I agree, lawsuits would have shut them down long before now. Folks worried about the hitch shouldn't buy it!
I am amazed at the size and weights of some RV's that folks tow with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. I think most folks are responsible but some just don't understand their limitations.
I was one of those folks , understanding payloads and pin weights is confusing.
Salineriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #144
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I have used the product... It hit the cab of the shortbed RAM...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #145
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post

I used it for years and tens of thousands of miles... didn't hit the cab on my shortbed RAM; didn't even come close. User error?

Brad
Old 07-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #146
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I think of mine like my wife, keeps me from doing something stupid. I have only seen it once but have read about it on this, and other forums, someone forgetting to put the levers down before pulling out from under it, cant happen with the Pullrite or Andersen.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #147
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
I changed from an anderson to a curt 20Q for the Montana and finally got to take her out for a shake-down weekend. I might put the Anderson back in for my old Rockwood, but both seem about as smooth as the other.

Neighbor across the way had an Anderson, sad thing is my first thought was negative, vs before the Memo it was-cool, I use one too!

For camping the Curt hitch in the bed isn't an issue, but for fall camp it's nice to remove the Anderson from the bed. At 8000 and out of warranty many moons ago, I don't have any worries about frame flex damage.

Allen
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #148
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to some

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
That would be your or their fault not the hitch. The hitch covers MOST short beds with 5er`s but not all I believe this is covered in install instructions and the one they use for demonstration purposes has clipped lower front edges to achieve 90 degrees, like mine dose not. I would think this would be obvious to most people but apparently not and they have hit their truck back windows blindly blaming the hitch as the reason. The first time out it would be prudent to check things out as fare as turning radius and limits go, before you have to push it to fare. I know I know "the salesman said........" and we all know how that goes.
I used the Andersen for a couple of years with no issues of course and went to the Pullrite 2600 for a change of pace, just like the Andersen but upside down. I wonder why Keystone hasn`t band that one. The pullrite hitch says they don't recommend it to be used with a 6`bed put stop short of impending failure if you do. I talked to the Pullrite rep at the Hershey show and he says they have proven to Keystone that this type of hitch dose nothing to the frame or stress anything he says they have accepted this as fact but don`t advertise it for some reason. Just can`t imagine why.
To some the Andersen is a failure waiting to happen but ask them how long have they owned one that their basing this information on? oh that`s right, I have a friend and he says...................
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #149
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
That would be your or their fault not the hitch. The hitch covers MOST short beds with 5er`s but not all I believe this is covered in install instructions and the one they use for demonstration purposes has clipped lower front edges to achieve 90 degrees, like mine dose not. I would think this would be obvious to most people but apparently not and they have hit their truck back windows blindly blaming the hitch as the reason. The first time out it would be prudent to check things out as fare as turning radius and limits go, before you have to push it to fare. I know I know "the salesman said........" and we all know how that goes.
I used the Andersen for a couple of years with no issues of course and went to the Pullrite 2600 for a change of pace, just like the Andersen but upside down. I wonder why Keystone hasn`t band that one. The pullrite hitch says they don't recommend it to be used with a 6`bed put stop short of impending failure if you do. I talked to the Pullrite rep at the Hershey show and he says they have proven to Keystone that this type of hitch dose nothing to the frame or stress anything he says they have accepted this as fact but don`t advertise it for some reason. Just can`t imagine why.
To some the Andersen is a failure waiting to happen but ask them how long have they owned one that their basing this information on? oh that`s right, I have a friend and he says...................

Keystone has not banned the Anderson hitch or any hitch specifically. Rather they have stated that any hitch that adds an "adapter" to the existing factory pinbox will void the warranty. That covers them off for excluding the Anderson, Pullrite, Gooseneck adapters, etc, etc.
The only "warranty approved" non-OEM pinbox that can now be used is the "Goosebox" which is now owned by Lippert. (it's all in earlier posts in this thread, and it's new as of early 2021)

And, to be even more specific, this warranty voiding is coming from Lippert and Keystone is passing it along; they're not the only one doing so.

If you like your Pullrite, you should keep using it; I hear it's a good hitch. But, do know that if you ever have a frame issue, they could point to your hitch as a reason to void the warranty on that issue.

Hope that clarifies...

Brad