Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Towing with tire chains?

Looking for feedback and advice from those who have found occasion to use tire chains while towing their 5er.

I bought a nice set of Pewags from eTrailer to fit the new (upsized) tires on my dually. Not cheap, but fantastic product and worth the extra $$ IMO.
My question- especially for dually owners- is how did the towing go while chained up in the snow (obviously )?

Has anyone chained up the front tires (4x4 only of course)? If so, how did that work out for you? I have used chains on past 4x4 trucks on the front and it worked great, but there was no weight in the back...not towing.

So today, as we prepare to leave for a trip up north, I did a test fit with the chains on both a front tire (piece of cake) and on the outside tire of the duals (not as easy...hard to get to the inside of the tire.

Yeah, I totally get that the weight on the rear tires would be great for traction, but I actually have almost the same weight on the front with or without towing! Less than 100 pounds difference...I know, I was surprised too!
It would be nice to have the chains on the steering wheels and the traction on the front would be helpful too while using 4WD.

I have some serious traction tires on my truck (255/80 17 Toyo A/T III) so I would still have pretty decent traction on the rear.

Well you get the idea...just thought it would be interesting to hear some experiences from those who have done it-both good and bad!
Thanks!
Mike

Old 03-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I've driven a lot with chains, but never towed; I don't think I would. Sounds like it would not be much fun. To me, chains are like a winch; used to get out of trouble (usually off road), not into it.

Chaining up one truck axle sounds like a disaster. If it is that icy, how are you going to keep the Montana from swinging around?

I chain up my plow truck all winter, but it is only used around the property; I chain up four wheels. It sounds like you only have one pair. Peerless chains are the best I've used.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks for your observations!
I would not intentionally drive into a snowstorm, but feel better having them just in case. Most people I've seen over many years only chain up the drive wheels, not both axles.
Yes, I have seen 4x4s with all four tires chained, but that is for some pretty extreme situations, not just for making it over the pass on the highway.

Nothing inherently disastrous about chaining up only one axle at all IMO.
In my experience, driver skill plays the biggest role in making it safely. A set of good chains and careful driving is usually all it takes...but towing a large 5er adds a major factor.

Of course, you could always throw a set of chains on the Monty too! Don't know of anyone who carries a set for that purpose...if you need to do that, you are already in deep trouble and should just find a place to pull over and wait it out!

We did get caught in an unexpected snow situation in Utah (while towing) once a few years ago, but with 4x4 and some excellent all terrain tires (no chains) we made it through. Mostly just slush, but it was getting worse as we proceeded. Fortunately no real ice to deal with.

Lasted about 10 miles or so and then turned to rain. A little bit of white knuckle time, but not too bad. No curves or steep hills...just flat highway.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
The chain(s) on the trailer wheels are known as drag chains; keeps the trailer in line. Some states require them if the tow vehicle is chained up, but that may only be for commercial operators.

Google search for trailer chains, you will find some discussions on the subject.

Best of luck.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
If you have to chain up a 4X4 than you would be better off parking the truck.Only reason semi's chain up is because the hill is to steep and 80,000# is a lot of weight holding you back. Most of the time they just go down the road. You have seen Ice Road Trucker ?
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
If you're trying to get out of a tough spot.... chains on the front would be helpful.

If you're just trying to get safely down the road you'll need chains on the rear of the truck and one axle of the trailer.

https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media...quire-a11y.pdf

To me it's not as much about moving as it is controlling the rig when you do get moving. Without chains on the trailer you'll have no braking and the least little slope can bring the trailer around on you.

This video I posted in the black ice thread is perfect example. Chains would have likely prevented this:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Great feedback guys...in that video, it sure seems like that guy as going waaaay too fast for those conditions! ESPECIALLY downhill with curves!
VERY fortunate, could have easily been much worse (near head on with the semi).

Curious as to his flashing brakelights...wondering if his trailer brakes weren't working correctly?
I do agree that a set of chains on the trailer, using the truck's compression brake and slowing to about 10-15 mph would have helped.

I'm also thinking he didn't have chains on the truck either, possibly not in 4 wheel drive (not sure if it was a 4x4)?
Old 03-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Curious as to his flashing brakelights...wondering if his trailer brakes weren't working correctly?
Either a bad connection or a function of the camera taking the video.

My two cents: If you think chains are necessary, time to park for the night. There are only a couple things I hate worse than putting on chains; but I can't think of them now.

Several years ago, I was west bound on I-80 in Nebraska in February with a brand new 5th wheel that I had just picked up in Indiana. It was late, snowing and icy. Get-home-itis was nagging at me but I pulled into a truck stop and slept for the night in a cold trailer; glad I brought a sleeping bag. I got back on the interstate the next morning in full sunshine. For the next 50 miles there were dozens of vehicles that slid off the road and were still stuck/crashed. One of my few better decisions.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Besides not a good idea to tow these rigs in the snow, there just isn't room around these trailer tires to run chains without removing the plastic fenders, and even then I'm not sure they would work. Even with chains, you're only going to travel at maybe 20 MPH if you're lucky and you still risk tearing things up if a chain breaks.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is why these things are called campers. In a case like this you need to use them for what they are designed for.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #11
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
A guy on one of the diesel forums has pics with chains towing his TT over Wolfcreek pass.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #12
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Again, I appreciate the (mostly) helpful responses. Sure enough, a nasty late winter storm off the Pacific prevented our trip into Oregon up I-5 earlier this week. Heavy snow all over Northern Cali and up into southern Oregon.

Staying in Central Cali coast for a few extra days and then heading back home. Just didn't feel comfortable risking it, plus lots of rain forecast while we would have been up there anyway...

Oh well, better safe than sorry!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We ended up with 4’ of snow out of that system on the front range in Colorado. Glad you stayed safe.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #14
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
Chains on all axles

We just made a trip across country, WA to GA and back, in November and December and went through several passes with snow and ice. In some states you are required to have chains on every axle (each tire). Maximum speed with chains is 25 MPH when towing, especially coming downhill on a mountain pass. It can be done but there will be white knuckle moments depending on the conditions and other drivers. Also make sure your gain setting, for brakes, has the tow vehicle leading, not the trailer.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
In response to the video

Pertaining to the video, in conditions like these you want to be staying off the brake, if you have to just feather your trailer brakes only with your brake controller, if you have a desiel the engine brake would work great in this situation. He probably was going to fast for the conditions and inexperienced. Also just a real good set of tires make a big difference. No solid outside ribs where the slush and water have nowhere to go it makes you hydro plane. A good studless snow tire works great
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
When I drove a semi they required us to chain up rig and trailer. But I never chained up when driving professionally. It wasn't worth it to me. Like has been said, we could only go 35 mph when chained up. So chaining up to climb the pass, then having to take the chains off, rinse and repeat, it was simply not worth my time. I would just park and wait for it to pass. On time I got caught in the snow near Weed, CA and that one time was enough for me!!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24025
We left Washington state last Feb. Going into the Blues, mandatory chain-up. It's not fun but when have to do it, it's better to have them than not. The lights in the video are flashing because they are LED. When you live on the road, you can't just say "I'm not driving today". Some contracts take us cross country, and we only hope Mother Nature is good to us out on the road.
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We were going North on 395 out of Bishop up Conway Summit.. When we reached near the top the road had a dusting of snow.. 4 wheel drive did not really help. The rear tires started slipping.. I will never pull in the snow if I can help it.. Since it were the Rear wheels slipping I would mount the chains on the Back.. Those PEWEG chains are the ones with the "cams" on them and were tightened with an Allen type wrench at a 90... GREAT chains.. No rubber tighteners. Easy on and off...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #19
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
You can get the Pewags with or without the cam tighteners...mine have them and they work great (for most circumstances).

But I also use some heavy duty rubber tensioners as well. Haven't tried this set yet, but I have always had great luck with Pewag. Best quality around IMO...I have a security chain from them that is a BEAST!

Don't mind snow at all as long as I don't have a 37 ft. deadweight hanging off the back of my truck.
Now ICE is a different story. Not a big fan of ice...on the road at least.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
JMHO--- If I need chains on either my tow vehicle or my Montana, I do not need to be out on the road with it. I'll sit it out a few days if need be so the roads are clear of snow or ice! As I said "Just My Humble Opinion!"
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote