Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #21
Mlenest
Established Member

M.O.C. #25902
I have a 3780 too we had a major repair o both the bed slide and wardrobe side an our dealer took care of it I wish the best of luck on the repair.
On the bright side ypu fpond it now not in the spring when you want use it

Old 12-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #22
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Wall issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty79 View Post
We are new owners of a 2020 3780RL and love the Montana line.

However after one trip between Colorado and Phoenix we noticed a 7 inch crack underneath one of the bedroom slides as anybody hear have experience with this? What is the best way to get this resolved? Is it fixable?

Thanks so much
Dear Scotty79,
I've sent you a Private message. I believe I can help.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #23
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We got one on our new to us HC. The second time I pulled it. First time was to MCD Shades. Got the crack taking it from there to our place outside Ruidoso NM. Same place, bottom right corner of a slide. About 7-8” crack. I just caulked it well as the rig won’t be towed again by me. It is now set up and not moving.
Had a stress crack on our last Mobile Suites as well. It resulted from getting stuck in the mud up to the axles and came to a somewhat unusual attitude! Apparently it can happen to the best....
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #24
ckellam@sympatico.ca

M.O.C. #25682
A lot of them are doing it if the factory is too lazy to put stress relief cuts below the slidouts. Dealer may be able to do quick fix but it will come back. Only proper fix is for it to go back to the factory ,have it taken apart to make sure frame hasn't also cracked as they have done that too. Sadly, Keystone and lots of other makers fail to put in the relief cut hoping it will last beyond warranty time frame. Most don't.
ckellam@sympatico.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #25
Theo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25640
Don’t let Keystone off the hook this is structural issues
They would not replace my roof on my Montana 3811 MS 2018 for the roof radius was lifting about 35+ ft an it hasn’t been moved since October of 2019
I’m concerned with the quality in the Montana
Have had small component issues since purchase but with a trailer with less than 2500 miles an a 2018 not happy
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #26
Fineline

M.O.C. #27072
This is a horrible problem with some of the older keystone products I have a 2012 long fellow like yours
Same issue but at the front of the bedroom slide
Looks like there still only tacking the the upright wall supports I had hoped if we bought a new one this issue had been fixed
This does confirm that they have not fixed this issue
Sorry but now that I’ve seen this I will never touch a keystone product again and I will be sure to spread the word of poor structural design
😢😢
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #27
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
As others have said, document EVERYTHING. Including telephone calls, emails, and take lots of pictures with dates. You need to contact Keystone ASAP with your issue. Don’t let them slide on the warrenty, and try to get it in for repair asap, as flex issues will worsen over time. You might need to plan on an extended trip to goshen India to get it repaired properly. You can also try a search for this issue on the forum for more info. Sorry you are having this issue, and keep us up to speed on your progress.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fineline View Post
This is a horrible problem with some of the older keystone products I have a 2012 long fellow like yours
Same issue but at the front of the bedroom slide
Looks like there still only tacking the the upright wall supports I had hoped if we bought a new one this issue had been fixed
This does confirm that they have not fixed this issue
Sorry but now that I’ve seen this I will never touch a keystone product again and I will be sure to spread the word of poor structural design
😢😢
I got news for you, it's not only a keystone issue it is industry-wide and affects every manufacturer
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Bring it back to the factory and make them fix it!.. after a few of these being fixed by them, maybe theyd make them right..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #30
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I got news for you, it's not only a keystone issue it is industry-wide and affects every manufacturer
You are correct. I had a Rockwood Signature Ultralite that had the same thing happen. It’s not just Keystone.
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
You are correct. I had a Rockwood Signature Ultralite that had the same thing happen. It’s not just Keystone.
Much of the "INDUSTRY" is owned by THOR... So there is that...Maybe they should go back to wood frames..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #32
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
Could you stop further crack propagation by drilling a hole right now at the bottom of the crack in the fiberglass?

I know this does not address the root cause but it may relieve the skin from being further affected until the frame can be repaired.

Also we use an outfit in Topeka called Amish Family RV for our Cedar Creeks. He brings in a Lippert welder when there are frame repairs or frames mods they recommend. Top notch plus quick. I’ve had work done.

Thus I agree you need to take it to Goshen to get the best repair, most professional repair and the quickest repair. Call the President of Keystone and say you want to take over a bedroom and hope he’s got a good Chef.

If you can’t get a quick repair, you could call Amish Family RV and see if they could do the work but I imagine you’d have to pay. But it may be cheaper, since you are full time than sitting around for many months paying rent.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #33
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Could you stop further crack propagation by drilling a hole right now at the bottom of the crack in the fiberglass?

I know this does not address the root cause but it may relieve the skin from being further affected until the frame can be repaired.
I wouldn’t advise drilling a hole. It’s possibly a way for Keystone to get out of their warranty claiming you caused further damage. They will just have to fix all the damage. I would take it back to the factory for repair. I wouldn’t trust a dealer for something structural like this. There is no way to know just how much damage is under there until you tear it apart. Just what I would insist on if it were me.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #34
Coddiwomple Travelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #27760
Had almost the exact same stress crack on our 2020 3781RL. Just got back from Indiana this past Saturday (Affinity RV Repair Group) Total side wall replacement. Keystone was wonderful to work with and covered all expenses plus had some warranty work that was needed done while we were there. Please feel free to hit me up with question as we have a lot of answers now that we have been through the process
Coddiwomple Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #35
Coddiwomple Travelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #27760
Ha!
That is our Montana!
While we were disappointed that this happened, I could not be any happier with Keystone's response or even happier with Affinity RV Repair Group.
I took the unit up to Goshen in October for an assessment and they had the people from Keystone come onsite for inspection. They we very easy to deal with and recommend a side wall replacement.
If anyone has any question about the process feel free to hit me up.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing Longitudes View Post
Ha!
That is our Montana!
While we were disappointed that this happened, I could not be any happier with Keystone's response or even happier with Affinity RV Repair Group.
I took the unit up to Goshen in October for an assessment and they had the people from Keystone come onsite for inspection. They we very easy to deal with and recommend a side wall replacement.
If anyone has any question about the process feel free to hit me up.
I can't imagine replacing an entire sidewall. I would never trust it unit in the future
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #37
Coddiwomple Travelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #27760
We got to watch the whole process and it’s funny But I feel better about the work done by Affinity than I do the Keystone people.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #38
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
since you are full timing i'd push keystone to get you back to goshen to their repair center. they will be able to do the best.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #39
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
We have a 2020 Montana 3780RL and after 13 months and less that 2000 miles noticed a long stress crack in the same location on our current trip (first trip in 5 months). Immediately contacted the dealer and waiting for a repair plan. I am hoping this will be covered under the 3 year structural warranty. This is my 3rd fifth wheel since 2004 and second Montana and never had this issue before.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #40
Fineline

M.O.C. #27072
Please let me know what you find
Thanks
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote