Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Inspector
Established Member

M.O.C. #25019
Satellite

Last year we had dish network installed on our rig. It is the one with the dish is mounted on top that automatically finds the satellite. I am getting signal but I can not watch channels. All I get is ppv channels. I have tried unplugging like dish help told me, but this is still not correcting the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We’ve had that setup since 2013, and have never had that problem, had other issues, but with Dish tech help, have always been able to resolve any problem. One time, I was on the phone with their tech for over an hour, and he refused to hang up until I had both Walleys working on our two TV’s. Give them another call and request technical help. Has your system ever worked since it was installed?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would also try them again. And request RV specific help. Like Bob, I have always found them to be very helpful, patient, and in no hurry to try to get me off the line. I had an old Tailgater and 211 receiver that could take 10 minutes or more to reboot. And they might have me reboot multiple times. And they never tried to hurry me. But they always solved the problem.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Inspector
Established Member

M.O.C. #25019
Thanks for the replies. We are going back out tomorrow. When we get set up, I will call them again and hopefully we can get this working. When it was first installed it worked fine. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
you may have to send a refresh signal

"Log into your account, visit the DISH Outdoors page, and click the "Wake Up Receivers" button to authorize your receiver's programming. Allow up to 5 minutes for service to return."
Old 11-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we went with the Hopper, we had Wallies and a lot of issues. The RV tech at Dish said we should go with the older model reciever. They sent them out to us at no charge and they worked great until we went Hopper and Joey.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My next door neighbor had a similar problem with his semi recent install on his motorhome. Got PPV but no regular channels ... come to find out he thought his subscription was auto pay, but it was not. When he called, they said you're not paid up for use this month. Once he got that squared away, all his Dish channels magically appeared.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
Last year we had dish network installed on our rig. It is the one with the dish is mounted on top that automatically finds the satellite. I am getting signal but I can not watch channels. All I get is ppv channels. I have tried unplugging like dish help told me, but this is still not correcting the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

it was for reasons like you're running into that I sold my Dish setup and two receivers. I'd get to a campground and spend considerable time trying to get a signal, call Dish, and still get no picture other than PPV (Pay Per View). Back to using good old cable TV and a Roku internet device that works perfect. I feel your pain. For the family just going camping for a few days, I found the Dish setup a nightmare.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy64 View Post

"Log into your account, visit the DISH Outdoors page, and click the "Wake Up Receivers" button to authorize your receiver's programming. Allow up to 5 minutes for service to return."
I've had it happen a few times. The receiver deactivates due to non use. I use receivers from the house account but 2 of them stay in the fifth wheel and I take the other one from the house when we leave.

I don't have dish outdoors so I have to call and have them reactivate the receiver. I had to do it a few weeks ago.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
it was for reasons like you're running into that I sold my Dish setup and two receivers. I'd get to a campground and spend considerable time trying to get a signal, call Dish, and still get no picture other than PPV (Pay Per View). Back to using good old cable TV and a Roku internet device that works perfect. I feel your pain. For the family just going camping for a few days, I found the Dish setup a nightmare.
That's us as well. We stream virtually everything and have an extensive DVD/Blu Ray collection when we can't get signal. We are much happier that way. We use the Apple HDMI adapter to hookup to our TV's so the data comes off our unlimited and not tethered. Works like a champ. Never had any real throttling issues.

Admittedly now that we are no longer watching broadcast TV we are not up to date on the latest pharmaceuticals.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
And on the flip of the coin there's people like us with a more positive experience with satellite tv. We've had either a Dish or DirecTV since the late nineties. In that period of time I've had to call in twice to get the signal refreshed. That was prior to being able to do it yourself nowadays. All the rest of the time we have little to no issue of getting a signal unless we are treed in. I will say we're never had a roof mount but an old single LNB in the earlier days or a Pathway X2. We do not go through the trailer coax to hook to the receiver, but use a thru wall coax connector to hook direct to the receiver. Unlike some, we do not have nor do we want the expense of an unlimited data plan on our phones so streaming of our TV is not an option.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Same good Dish experience as dieselguy except not quite as long, only since 2008. Thru the wall coax connector direct to receiver. First we had the 1000.2 tripod mount antenna before buying a Tailgater. Tailgater worked fine for several years before getting old and cranky. Dish tech service helped several times getting it up and running. After getting even more cranky, went back to the 1000.2. Doesn’t take much longer to set up than the Tailgater going thru its startup gyrations. Thought about a Pathway but just don’t use it much any more.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy64 View Post

"log into your account, visit the dish outdoors page, and click the "wake up receivers" button to authorize your receiver's programming. Allow up to 5 minutes for service to return."
this 👆👆
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
For the OP, I would contact whomever did the Traveler install. Or continue to get the Dish tech to help. They have always hung in there with me - using the 1000.2, two Wallys w/dual RG-6 w/ground, and a surveyors tripod especially made for that antenna. The only time I've had real issues was when in site 19 at Canyon of the Eagles recently when the 3 sats were always at the very edge of tree branches from 3 different tripod locations - had sats and transponders but no signal strength. The Dish tech was unable to activate the Wallys due to that. Gave up on TV that week.
Like O'Donnell, we have a good collection of Bluray/DVD. Canyon of the Eagles has no cable.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 AM   #15
1stgtburns@gmail.com

M.O.C. #24092
We had a similar issue. We told Dish if they didn't get it fixed we were going to return it. A tech in San Antonio came and new exactly what my issue was
Our Montana 2017 was set up for direct TV. Thier splinters are not compatible with Dish. He replace the splinters and we haven't had a problem since. Look it to that
1stgtburns@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote