Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Will do. What does the label on the camper State as far as axle capacity. Mine are 7000 pound axles also but the label States 6750. They were apparently de-rated because of the original tires that came on it

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #22
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
FYI, was just under the rig and there a tags on the axles that also say they are rated at 7000 lbs. Thanks for doing the math, but new tires going on so really don’t have to worry about it. Stay safe!
Those tags are the axel manufacturer's certification tags. Their maximum load capacity for your vehicle is not valid, unless the vehicle certification label list's your GAWRs as 7000#. The vehicle certificating label is found on the trailer's left forward external section of the trailer.

All Trailer builders have the authority to set axle GAWRs to a load that is acceptable for a balanced load at certification time.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Those tags are the axel manufacturer's certification tags. Their maximum load capacity for your vehicle is not valid, unless the vehicle certification label list's your GAWRs as 7000#. The vehicle certificating label is found on the trailer's left forward external section of the trailer.

All Trailer builders have the authority to set axle GAWRs to a load that is acceptable for a balanced load at certification time.
The label on my rig states axle rating is 7000 lbs. everything on the rig pertaining to the axles say they are rated at 7000 lbs.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 AM   #24
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
The label on my rig states axle rating is 7000 lbs. everything on the rig pertaining to the axles say they are rated at 7000 lbs.
Than you should ask Keystone why they didn't comply with the RVIA 10% load capacity recommendation.

It would be worth a try because RVIA could pressure them to provide you with tires meeting their recommendations.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Than you should ask Keystone why they didn't comply with the RVIA 10% load capacity recommendation.

It would be worth a try because RVIA could pressure them to provide you with tires meeting their recommendations.

Plus the fact still remains he put on an E rated tire, which IMO is not adequate for his size of fifth wheel. He has already had issues with the E rated tire. He has the wheels for G rated 110 psi , and thats what needs to be on that fifth wheel. At the very least the Sailun S637 ST 235/80/16 rated for 4080 lbs @ 110 psi.

Some will promote the Goodyear G614 , also a G rated tire , IMO still not the weight rating @ 3750 lbs @ 110 psi. We have read issues ,and blowouts with these Goodyears for years ,probably one of the bigger reasons in years past was they just were not a good manufactured tire , now today with these heavier fifth wheels they do not have the needed weight rating. If you look at the Goodyear trailer tires , including the Endurance they just don't have a tire for these heavier Montana fifth wheels.

I believe at one time Keystone offered the G614 as an upgrade, and I believe now that is no longer true, they are not up to the weight rating needed . At the least the tires on the Montana fifth wheels are G rated ,and at least have the 4080 rating. The High Country it sounds like they should also be the same for the heavier ones.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #26
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:

That will never happen. I bought this used. It’s out of warranty. And RVIA wouldn’t do anything. Waste of time. New tires here Friday. Problem solved.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
That will never happen. I bought this used. It’s out of warranty. And RVIA wouldn’t do anything. Waste of time. New tires here Friday. Problem solved.

I thought you already got new tires, the Endurance .
Old 08-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
The answer is in post #17

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #29
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Just a note: The GY Endurance ST235/80R16 LRE does not qualify for service on 7000# axles.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Just a note: The GY Endurance ST235/80R16 LRE does not qualify for service on 7000# axles.

You would think they do as many people that are buying them. Great application for lighter boat trailers , ATV trailers etc. Plus they have a very shallow tread pattern .
Old 08-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #31
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The answer is in post #17
Thanks, wondering what tire he went to this time ,didn't see that ?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #32
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
I did last Thursday. Also just joined the forum last Thursday. That is what all the brouhaha is about. Discount tire will take them back. My Sailuns will be delivered Friday. Will go on the rig Monday. Problem solved.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #33
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I did last Thursday. Also just joined the forum last Thursday. That is what all the brouhaha is about. Discount tire will take them back. My Sailuns will be delivered Friday. Will go on the rig Monday. Problem solved.
Thanks .Good choice ,great tire , I only wished we had a comparable tire made in the US. You won't be disappointed in the quality. I have had two sets of them .

You came to the right place for advice on these tires , I know you got beat up a little, but we mean well . Good luck on the Rv'ing
Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #34
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Thanks .Good choice ,great tire , I only wished we had a comparable tire made in the US. You won't be disappointed in the quality. I have had two sets of them .

You came to the right place for advice on these tires , I know you got beat up a little, but we mean well . Good luck on the Rv'ing
Yup, sure beat a dead horse around here. Maybe we can let this lay for awhile.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

For sure , its done. But for sure there will be another tire thread or truck, or hitch or whatever.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #36
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:

Mikelff, I know your are new to the site, and I'm sort of new, but not to RVs or RV websites. "Beating a dead horse" happens a LOT on RV forum topics. It's sort of the nature of the beast - no ill intent is meant. Sometimes the OP posts a resolution somewhere in the middle of a string of posts and it's missed so some posts might seem repetitive. Don't let it misle you. There is a ton of information here from knowledgeable folks; I know some of them from other forums and they can be very helpful in a time of need. Congrats on the new Sailuns and let us know how it goes, I'm very happy with mine (except they got dirty in FL and I haven't cleaned them yet).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #37
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
So here is some more fuel for for the fire:

According to American Wheels, Tire Guys, and several forums;

The 'Max PSI' found on the back side of most all rims is there for the installer only and it indicates the maximum air pressure required to seat the bead on the tire!

Further more, two different rim mfg.. have stated that they know of no rim failure do to over inflation pressure. Tire failure Yes, rim failure No
Old 08-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZAK View Post
So here is some more fuel for for the fire:

According to American Wheels, Tire Guys, and several forums;

The 'Max PSI' found on the back side of most all rims is there for the installer only and it indicates the maximum air pressure required to seat the bead on the tire!

Further more, two different rim mfg.. have stated that they know of no rim failure do to over inflation pressure. Tire failure Yes, rim failure No
The maximum PSI inflation pressure allowed for installers when seating tire beads is 40 PSI.

Never exceed the maximum pressure and/or load capacity of the rim/wheel.

The above statements are established tire industry standards.

Current FMVSS standards do not require wheels to have load and PSI values displayed on them. However, most OEM providers request those values be molded on the wheel to help them insure they are using the correct wheel specifications for OE fitments.

Wheel manufacturers are required to provide wheel specifications on request. They are also required to insure wheels they build have the manufacturers name and model number on each individual wheel they manufacturer.

Some wheel manufacturers will only provide wheel load capacities. When that happens the installer cannot inflate the wheel to a PSI value higher than what is necessary to meet the maximum load capacity of the wheel. Manufacturers that provide both load capacity and recommended inflation pressures on their wheels are saying the maximums should never be exceeded.

If in doubt you will find most of the information above in the USTMA or FMVSS standards. They are easily found by searching the WWW.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #39
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Yes, I did My research and talked to experts in the field!
Which is why I posted what I did.

"The maximum PSI inflation pressure allowed for installers when seating tire beads is 40 PSI."

Not entirely true! The manufacture of the RIM will often state the maximum pressure that the rim can handle to seat the bead!
Tire manufactures on the other hand will often have a much lower maximum PSI,
Usually between 30 and 45 psi.

As far as the Law goes (example from Cali S3325) "(e) Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, tires shall not be inflated beyond a maximum of 40 psi to seat the beads. During inflation, tire beads shall be inspected for proper seating at intervals not to exceed 20 psi. Tires not properly seated at 40 psi, or at the maximum psi recommended by the manufacturer, shall be completely deflated before making the adjustment of the tire, rim or wheel components. Except as permitted in Section 3326, tires shall be in a restraint device when seating the beads."

"Never exceed the maximum pressure and/or load capacity of the rim/wheel."

While this is True, The Maximum PSI for any particular Rim can not be determined until it is stated by the manufacturer of that rim.

So, The point being [baring any defects] , in all likelihood the tire will give out to ovcer inflation well before a rim does!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #40
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
So, I guess this debate is "enlightening"? When I, or the tire shop, puts a tire on the rim and pull/plop/twist it to get it to take air to "seat", do I or them put a pressure gauge in it and say "oops, it's 40 psi and it didn't seat"? Of course not. Put it on there, get the tire to take air and wait for it to "pop". Seems to me the "seating" pressure is kind of irrelevant - the tire HAS to seat to air it up and use it. Never saw a tire explode while being seated on a rim. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote