Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Montana outdoor kitchen

Does anyone have this yet?
Pros and cons?
How well does the included stove work? (some get really hot, others not so much)

Am thinking of ordering one and would like first hand experiences.

Thanks in advance!
Brad

kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We don't have it. We had an outdoor kitchen in our last TT and the DW misses it very much. Unfortunately, the main thing she misses is the sink, which isn't an option on the Montana version. I considered it for a while, but honestly, we have the 18 cu ft residential fridge so the two small fridges wouldn't do us much good and I tend to cook on a grill/griddle more than a camp stove, so all this would do is take away valuable storage space in our basement. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. We spent a lot of time considering it and decided against it for these reasons.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
I have a 3855 with outdoor kitchen with a sink. It is pretty handy sometimes.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder View Post
I have a 3855 with outdoor kitchen with a sink. It is pretty handy sometimes.
Thanks guys,

I have an outdoor kitchen in our current Jayco, and use it all the time, so that's why we are considering this.
The only reason it is of interest is because we are looking at the 3790RD with the large rear storage. Without that rear storage, I don't think I could lose that much space... still not a perfect setup, so hoping there are others who have some experience.

And, BTW, seems like others are jumping on the outdoor kitchen on a slide; GD Solitude has a version, and they do include a sink in the slide out completely plumbed in, and no stove... it also folds out to have a bar top and a full table. But that is also it's downside to me -you will need a site with lots of room just to open it and use it.

Brad
Old 08-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
weekend bump...

Hi all,
Bumping this up to the top just in case... has anyone gotten a new Montana with the new slide out outdoor kitchen?

Really hoping to hear some feedback, good or bad before we order one.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
We have the outdoor kitchen in our Slide in our HC362RD. It is a good concept. Only thing we use in it is the refrigerator, which is great. The two burner stove looks nice, but too small of burners. Might boil water in 30 minutes, lol, we don’t use it. Wish ours had a sink. Cabinets are nice for storage. Concept would be you are always on level ground, otherwise you might not be able to reach anything in it. Happens quite a few times. The refrigerator isn’t on the inverter, so it doesn’t stay cool going down the road. Had to install and wire my own inverter. We would rather not have the outdoor kitchen and have the storage inside, but they didn’t offer that option. Just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
We have the outdoor kitchen in our Slide in our HC362RD. It is a good concept. Only thing we use in it is the refrigerator, which is great. The two burner stove looks nice, but too small of burners. Might boil water in 30 minutes, lol, we don’t use it. Wish ours had a sink. Cabinets are nice for storage. Concept would be you are always on level ground, otherwise you might not be able to reach anything in it. Happens quite a few times. The refrigerator isn’t on the inverter, so it doesn’t stay cool going down the road. Had to install and wire my own inverter. We would rather not have the outdoor kitchen and have the storage inside, but they didn’t offer that option. Just my opinion.
Thanks James, great info!

If you don't mind, I have some questions:
-cabinets; I see one storage cabinet with a lid, above the stove -is that the only one?
-if you're rig is nearby, can you measure the size of that cabinet (HxWxD)?
-also, can you measure the stove (HxWxD)?
-for the level ground, are you saying that if the ground slopes away, then the cabinet and stove would be too high to use? or?
-the rear fridge, from the pictures, looks like it is part way inside the basement. Is that an illusion, or does it really not come all the way out? If it doesn't, about how many inches inside is that second fridge?

I am trying to decide if I purchase this or maybe build my own. Quote I have is for $1700 CAD, so about $1300 USD. I could get a MORryde slide out tray for less than $600 USD and add to it...

Thanks in advance for anything else you can share; I really do appreciate it!

Brad
Old 08-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Brad, I see now, you are talking about the new slide out kitchen. Mine is old school, all built in. After looking at the new style, the stove is good for warming and light cooking, but that would be all. Dometic isn’t quite known for quality outdoor grills. The whole sliding kitchen really takes up a lot of valuable storage space. I don’t see where two refrigerators would be justified. If you leave it pulled out much, you will be letting out a lot of hot and cool out of the basement. If it starts raining while you are cooking, what would you do then? Can’t push it back in hot? Then everything gets wet, plus the basement gets wet. Everything else stored in basement will always be lying or touching sliding part, and will be aggravating. Got to slide it all the way out just to get a cold drink. I don’t think it would go on my wish list. Good luck. Maybe someone else will have this new style.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Brad, I see now, you are talking about the new slide out kitchen. Mine is old school, all built in. After looking at the new style, the stove is good for warming and light cooking, but that would be all. Dometic isn’t quite known for quality outdoor grills. The whole sliding kitchen really takes up a lot of valuable storage space. I don’t see where two refrigerators would be justified. If you leave it pulled out much, you will be letting out a lot of hot and cool out of the basement. If it starts raining while you are cooking, what would you do then? Can’t push it back in hot? Then everything gets wet, plus the basement gets wet. Everything else stored in basement will always be lying or touching sliding part, and will be aggravating. Got to slide it all the way out just to get a cold drink. I don’t think it would go on my wish list. Good luck. Maybe someone else will have this new style.
Thanks James, appreciate the clarification.
We have had outdoor kitchens, and love them. Like you, though, have not had good success with the stoves. Otherwise have used the fridge and cabinet space. Even have used the top of the stove as an outdoor bar.

We like it so much that even though we like the rear den 3791RD, the lack of outdoor kitchen means I am trying to figure a way to put one back in. I'm on the fence about the new slide out kitchen for sure...

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Hi all,
Bumping this up to the top just in case... has anyone gotten a new Montana with the new slide out outdoor kitchen?

Really hoping to hear some feedback, good or bad before we order one.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
We have one on our 2019 Montana High Country 344RL and love it. We put all our beer, soda and water outside in the refrigerator and it stays very cold. The microwave is nice if you just want to reheat something when your outside. And the 2 burner stove is the best. Great for grilling on an iron skillet, no smoke or smells inside and easy to clean up.
RLCJAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I have a 2018 358BH and have an outdoor kitchen in my slide out. I really like it. The stove is good for light cooking and keeping the coffee hot. No sink, but I bought something that works way better. Bass Pro has a portable fold out filet table with a sink. I hook up the water to it and now I have a food prep table with a sink! The grandkids use it for hand washing etc. I find it works better than that tiny sink that comes in some of the outdoor kitchens. The fridge works great for all the water and drinks and any food we want to keep for outdoor cooking. We don’t have to be in and out of the RV nearly as much. We love it. Don’t know what the new ones are like. If no sink, check out that filet table at Bass Pro.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:49 AM   #12
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
There are some great water heater trouble shooting videos on YouTube that should help you greatly. Check them out, and they are free.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
NOTE: 2021 Montana kitchen on slide tray

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

However, and my bad for not clarifying in the original title, my questions are about the new outdoor kitchens on the 2021 Montana's that are an accessory addon... this accessory is basically 2 fridges, a cabinet and a stove, all on a cargo bay slide out tray...
For those that do not know what this is, go to the Montana picture gallery, then Exterior, then scroll through the pictures later in that set...
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...ntana/gallery/

I agree with those who say they enjoy their outdoor kitchens; we do too! We have one built into our current Jayco and it's on our list of needs for a new unit. However, we really like the RD (rear den) floorplan, which does not have a built in kitchen. So, I'm trying to get a read on whether the slide out tray kitchen is a good option.

And, if others want to keep chiming in on what they love, or don't, about outdoor kitchens in general -well that's ok too

Thanks!
Brad
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
Just checked the website. I'm not feeling it at all. My outdoor kitchen is way better than that.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #15
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder View Post
Just checked the website. I'm not feeling it at all. My outdoor kitchen is way better than that.
It's a compromise, for sure.
The problem I'm trying to solve is how to buy a floorplan that works for many other reasons, but without an outdoor kitchen... I need my outdoor kitchen!

I'm already thinking of how I would need to modify it; so then I'm back to maybe just buying a cargo slideout tray and build an outdoor kitchen on top of that myself??

Thanks!
Brad
Old 08-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #16
bwandrack

M.O.C. #26313
Quote:
Hi all,

However, and my bad for not clarifying in the original title, my questions are about the new outdoor kitchens on the 2021 Montana's that are an accessory addon... this accessory is basically 2 fridges, a cabinet and a stove, all on a cargo bay slide out tray...
For those that do not know what this is, go to the Montana picture gallery, then Exterior, then scroll through the pictures later in that set...

I agree with those who say they enjoy their outdoor kitchens; we do too! We have one built into our current Jayco and it's on our list of needs for a new unit. However, we really like the RD (rear den) floorplan, which does not have a built in kitchen. So, I'm trying to get a read on whether the slide out tray kitchen is a good option.

And, if others want to keep chiming in on what they love, or don't, about outdoor kitchens in general -well that's ok too

Thanks!
Brad
We have a 2020 3791RD with the slide out kitchen. It was one of the main reason I chose this model. With all of the available storage under the living area I have almost nothing in the front basement. I like being able to use the outdoor stove, it helps keep the heat out of the coach during NC summers! The 2 refrigerators are a little over kill in my opinion, but both of ours are full all of the time. It's pretty darn handy. I will say, it does take up space under the awning when it's extended. That would be my only complaint so far.
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #17
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwandrack View Post
We have a 2020 3791RD with the slide out kitchen. It was one of the main reason I chose this model. With all of the available storage under the living area I have almost nothing in the front basement. I like being able to use the outdoor stove, it helps keep the heat out of the coach during NC summers! The 2 refrigerators are a little over kill in my opinion, but both of ours are full all of the time. It's pretty darn handy. I will say, it does take up space under the awning when it's extended. That would be my only complaint so far.
Awesome, thanks!

I was hoping that someone had one of these... If you don't mind, and your rig is handy, I have some questions:
-can you measure the size of the built in metal storage bin (HxWxD)?
-also, can you measure the stove (HxWxD)?
-can you measure the fridge units (HxWxD)?
-the rear fridge, from the pictures, looks like it is part way inside the basement. Is that an illusion, or does it really not come all the way out? If it doesn't, about how many inches inside is that second fridge?

I really appreciate any info you can provide, so thanks in advance!

Brad
Old 08-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #18
Ronatcornestone

M.O.C. #25581
3660RL outdoor kitchen

I changed the wine cooler out for a stainless steel refrigerator with separate freezer door. We found we use ice a lot and it saves going inside. I purchased our Montana with the 5.5 Onan LP gen. So the outside fridge stays cold when traveling. I also installed a sink with drain pump. The small two burner stove we don’t use as we hookup our camp chef three burner stove up to the LP quick disconnect that the stove connects to. Only issue is if you get into a sloped camp site the kitchen is too high off the ground without using a step stool.
Ronatcornestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Brad
It looks like the stove is larger than the ones that come in the slide out version so that actually might be very functional. I do not see the reason for two fridges. Looks like one would do the trick. Use that space for storage. Didn’t see a sink, but thats ok. Check out these at Bass Pro.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-folding-processing-table-1605250815-1
I have the one on sale. Thats a great deal. Works great. You would have a prep table with a nice sink. It folds up, the faucet folds down flat, stores easy and doesn’t take up a lot of space stored on its side. I would try to see a live version of this kitchen first if possible.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #20
JA Cox

M.O.C. #26849
We have the 2020 3791RD with slide out kitchen and initially thought it was a novelty, but now find the extra refrigerator space to be extremely useful. The burners get plenty hot enough to boil and supplement the interior range top when cooking. The rear storage slide is awesome and has plenty of storage. We recommend the slide out kitchen .
JA Cox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdoor kitchen