Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I'm feeling the ouch on the diesel prices, too. This morning, in Illinois, we paid 2.259 per gallon. Tonight, in Kansas City, best I found was 2.099. In San Diego last week the cheapest I saw was 2.399.

I'll stay with diesel, though. It still gets 40% better mileage, towing and solo, than my gas V10 did. Azstar, I read recently that diesel pickups capable of towing fifthwheels are getting that original additional cost back at tradein time. Sure hope that's the case. I still have my eye on a new '05 F350 so maybe I'll find out if I can figure out how to do it without busting the budget (the boss' orders).

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Just curious, how many miles do you have on your rig now? I was told that you should be able to get 200,000 - 450,000 miles out of our trucks these days. I have seen all three brands with miles in that range, but people seem to be trading in a lot sooner. Just curious why you would ready to trade in?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:40 AM   #23
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Let's put this in perspective...
$3.00 per bale = 1 HP
$2.17 per gallon = 300 HP

HHHMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

Yeah and the truck doesn't crap all over the place.

You also only have the feed the truck when You use it, not all the time even when sitting there.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:37 AM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Glenn, I'm feeling the ouch on the diesel prices, too. This morning, in Illinois, we paid 2.259 per gallon. Tonight, in Kansas City, best I found was 2.099. In San Diego last week the cheapest I saw was 2.399.

I'll stay with diesel, though. It still gets 40% better mileage, towing and solo, than my gas V10 did. Azstar, I read recently that diesel pickups capable of towing fifthwheels are getting that original additional cost back at tradein time. Sure hope that's the case. I still have my eye on a new '05 F350 so maybe I'll find out if I can figure out how to do it without busting the budget (the boss' orders).
Steve,
You can bet there is no way I would go back to a gasser. I love my Duramax and would only get rid of it for another Duramax.
I bought my truck in Sept 2003. It had been a leased truck and was turned in with just 8600 miles on it. A very good friend of mine was a car dealer in NY and he found it for me in Kingston, Ont, Canada. He told me all about it and guaranteed me it was cherry and of course still under warranty. It had all the options I wanted so I bought it sight unseen and haven't regreted it. A few weeks ago, scanning thru the classifieds, I found 2- 2003's exactly like mine listed for considerably more than what I paid for mine over a year ago.
I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 2005 but there is no way I will ever get the deal I got on this one. Besides that this truck only has 51,000 miles on it. Heck it's not even broke in yet and I think I really would like to see if I can get the hundreds of thousands of miles they say you can.
Lorraine has already said I could trade as long as there is no out of pocket money and the monthly payments do not change. I almost talked her into letting me get that new MDT sitting at the Chevrolet dealer in Nappany. That was one beautiful rig but a bit of overkill for pulling a 2955RL Montana.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:16 PM   #25
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly
Yeah and the truck doesn't crap all over the place.

You also only have the feed the truck when You use it, not all the time even when sitting there.

John
You have looked in my profile haven't you??? They don't call me Mother Mucker for nothing
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #26
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
[quote I do not understand why the diesel prices keep shooting up and up while gasoline is remaining about the same. I arrived in St Pete a week ago Saturday and diesel was 2.01 per gal. A week ago today the diesel price was 2.03 per gal. Couple days later it was 2.11. Today it's 2.17 and that is the cheapest diesel I could find in a 20 mile radius. Some stations are up to 2.35 a gallon. Gasoline was around 1.93, today it's 1.97.
Anyone wanna buy an 03 Duramax?
[/quote]

You think fuel prices are high now Glen, You haven't seen anything yet. come to koleyfornya I'm paying 2.45 for #2 in LA now, last month in northern cal at a shell station I paid 2.49 for #2, dont sell your TV yet the gas prices will be going up higher than #2 real soon, and besides when did you like doing smog checks, our trucks are exsempt now. and if you look at all of those people out there driving that big SUV to work every day solo, and spending $100.00 plus to fill it every two weeks.

TT2
Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Steve,
Just curious, how many miles do you have on your rig now? I was told that you should be able to get 200,000 - 450,000 miles out of our trucks these days. I have seen all three brands with miles in that range, but people seem to be trading in a lot sooner. Just curious why you would ready to trade in?
51,000 in 16 months. Bought it new in June 2003. It's been great, does a great job. You know how you read about the guy going through his midlife crisis and he dumps his faithful wife of 30 years for his young secretary? Well, I guess I fell in love with the '05 Ford SuperDuty. They have a frame patterned after the F550, all new front suspension, and some other things. Max tow rating is 17,000. The one I'm looking at is a crew cab shortbed with the 6.0 PowerStroke (love the one we have and will definitely have another), TorqueShift, 4x4, Lariat, etc. Anyhow, this one is rated for 15,400 fifthwheel tow rating as equipped. It's the single rear wheel. I'm even seriously considering a 3/4 ton F250 since nobody has hardly any F350's in SRW and cab/bed configuration I want. Tomorrow I have to check the GAWR ratings. I know you can now get an F250 with GVWR of 10,000. The GCWR on the F250 I'm looking at is 23,000. Others are at 23,500.

The deal is not done. I'm driving 130 miles one-way tomorrow to the dealer I've been talking to. Same dealer and salesman where I purchased the last three trucks ('92, '95, '99, '03). The dealers in this area don't seem to want to deal. They can't keep the new superduties on their lots. They're selling too quickly.

I guess you could say I'm in lust. But when we finish cranking numbers tomorrow that may be the end of it.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Good luck at the dealership tomorrow. I guess you could say if it was meant to be then it will happen. I have been reading the stats on the 2005 Chevy Duramax and am ready to trade as well. Since I only have 16k on mine, I think I will drive it for another 10 years. I really want to see how many miles I can get out of this truck. Again, good luck with the deal.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:27 AM   #29
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Diesel here in Vermont is selling for $2.33 as of last night. I think it's partly because diesel and home heating oil are the same thing and winter is coming. I do believe that the fuel companies and brokers are gouging at the same time and the proof will be in the financial statements at year end. Still, on our rally trip we travelled 3414 miles (about 2900 miles of it towing the Montana)and used 272 gallons of diesel. That works out to 12.5 mpg. I'm not sorry I have a diesel!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:19 AM   #30
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Once they get the fuel prices as high as they are now I dought that we will ever see thenm dip much under 2.00 per gallon. We let them get greddy and breaking them of that will never happen, It seems that Marathon oil is the ones contolling the prices at least in Michigan and Ohio, something to think about the next time you need fuel. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, we did it today. The dealer is spraying the rhino lining, changing the steps to the ones we want, swapping the tailgates (keeping my FW tailgate), moving my cross-bed toolbox, and removing the hitch and putting it in the new one. This dealer does those things and has the experience. This is the fifth truck I've purchased from this dealer since 1992. Same salesman, too. I had a typo in the above post. Checked today and it's rated to tow a fifthwheel of 16,400 lbs. This is a 3/4 ton F250! GVWR is 10,000, higher than my '03 F350 (9900). And GCWR on the new one is 23,000 while it was 20,000 on the old one. Front GAWR is higher also but the rear GAWR is slightly lower. Forgot the numbers and both trucks are 130 miles away. They put me in a very nice 2004 F150 to drive home. Truck hopefully will be ready for pickup on Saturday.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #32
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
Congratulations on the new truck. It's always good to have a dealer you can work with. Sounds like you got a nice one. Hope you get many safe & happy miles from it. Did you get those cool gauges changed to the new truck?
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
CONGRATULATOINS!!!!!! We know how exciting it is to get a new truck or even better a new Montana. Sounds like you got a good deal, keep us posted on how the new Ford works for you. You will have to post the new pic under your signature so we can all take a look. Congrats, again.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:51 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Sheri, I'll have to have the gauges put in the new one but couldn't take them out of the tradein, unfortunately. The new one has a boost gauge right on the dash so will probably not get boost on the pillar, assuming I like that gauge. Forgot to look at it during my test drive. I was too busy fiddling with all the other gadgets, many of which I have no idea how to operate until I can digest the manual.

Montana Sky, it may be awhile before I have a picture of truck and Montana to post. A couple of days ago we settled into our 'home base' until after Christmas. So won't have the new one attached to the house until then. I do need to figure out something, maybe I'll just remove the old picture for now.

Glenn, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:28 AM   #35
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
It looks to me like someone hasn't done their math. Diesel here in NW Indiana the last time I bought it was 2.259 a gallon. At 14 MPG (towing)it comes out to .16 a mile for fuel. Gas was 1.979 a gal. At 10 MPG (on a good day), it is .20 a mile. Of course, that's not factoring in the initial cost of a diesel engine, but If I was worried about initial cost, I'd have a cheaper 5er than a Monty.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good points, Bob, where the numbers fit. For us, our '99 F350 V10 averaged 8.2 towing this same fifthwheel. The '03 diesel averaged 11.5. Solo, in town, the V10 got 11 to 12, the diesel gets 16 to 18. On the highway at 70-75mph, the V10 got 13 to 14, rarely 15. The diesel gets 18 to 19.

Read recently in some magazine that the 3/4 ton and larger trucks with diesel are so popular in the used market that they're getting just about every dime of that initial diesel cost back at tradein time. That assumes the truck is in good shape. Based on our trade the other day, I'd guess that's true. It's hard to tell since they don't break down the item values on the trade but I got a really good trade for it. I originally worked a deal over the phone with the salesman we bought the last three trucks from. His numbers were based on our trade being as good as I said. When I got to the dealership and their trade bidder looked at and drove the truck he gave me another thousand above the original number. Then in the negotiation process I got the finance manager who also was the general manager and also was the owner's daughter to drop 1/2 percent off their interest rate and another $2200 off the price of their truck. Since we're 130 miles away from them, we're in the Kansas City area, they knew I could just walk out and have any number of dealers to deal with. Used 6.0PSD's are hard to find, so I felt I had some negotiating power. I'm sure they still made a ton of money but I feel good about the deal. Tomorrow they should have the truck ready. I hope. I meant to bring the owners manuals home to peruse them this weekend but I forgot. Drat.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Bob and Sheri, I'll have to have the gauges put in the new one but couldn't take them out of the tradein, unfortunately. The new one has a boost gauge right on the dash so will probably not get boost on the pillar, assuming I like that gauge. Forgot to look at it during my test drive. I was too busy fiddling with all the other gadgets, many of which I have no idea how to operate until I can digest the manual.

Montana Sky, it may be awhile before I have a picture of truck and Montana to post. A couple of days ago we settled into our 'home base' until after Christmas. So won't have the new one attached to the house until then. I do need to figure out something, maybe I'll just remove the old picture for now.

Glenn, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
No problem steve, and congrats on the new wheels.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM   #38
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
OK Bob,

No fuzzy Math here. Using your numbers, with a difference of .04 cents a mi., you will get your $4500 (difference V10 vs Diesel) back after driving 112,500 mi.

According to Kelly Blue Book you will get about $4000 back in trade of your $4500 investment.

Deduct higher costs for Oil changes & Fuel Filters of aprox. $1800 now were down to $2200 back on your $4500 investment.

The guy that bought the V10 invested his $4500 in a 60 mo. CD at 5% and made $1275 profit. $2200-$1275 = $925.

Here in AZ you will pay higher plate fees because of higher purchase price, maybe $75 per. year. 5 yrs.= $375 $925-$375 = $550.

If he financed the $4500 the $550 shrinks further.

Pretty close race financially, wouldn't you say?

As for the pulling, that newly designed V10 from Ford will pull your
Monty up the side of a building or even Wolf Creek Pass.

According to Click & Clack ( The Car Guys) if you use Syn. Oil you shouldn't expect any problems with your Big Block Gas, to the tune of 150,000+ miles. In fact they expect the rest of the Truck to fall of the Engine.

The best in depth article I ever saw on the debate was summed up by saying "No clear winner here folks, buy what you like"

All I'm saying here is that, if someone says they might go back to gas, It's not a without merit.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azstar

buy what you like"
I agree with that. Besides good choices in diesel or gas, there are excellent trucks from all three brands.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:09 AM   #40
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Hi Seve; (aztar) You make very good points. That's the reason there are many choices on drive lines. That power in the Ford is calculated at sea level and there's a formula for calculating power loss on naturally aspirated engines for each 1000' of elevation. I have the satisfaction of knowing my (or any other turbo charged diesel) will have the same power and torque at the top of Wolf Creek Pass (10,850')as it started up with. (300 HP, 600+ft. lb.torque) And the $874 returned from the cd can be used as a down payment on the engine overhaul of the V-10 at 100,000 miles.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote