Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
Hello to all from a new 3650RK owner!

Hi all !!!
We are Tedd & Lillian Steele from Haymarket VA!! We've just joined this group, and don't have time to read ALL the posts here!! Way too much info!! lol..!!
Anywho, our story sound very similar to a lot of you out there. We are in our early 40's, and have decided to go full-time on the road. I was the vicitim of IT layoffs after nine years of working for three different companies (which were all bought by one another). I guess I'm lucky in some respects. Since our son is in the Marines (he was in Iraq when the seige started towards Baghdad), and recently had a baby girl, AND getting married (all within one month!), we decided it's time for US to get out and do things while we're still young enough to do them (ride bikes, read without glassses, etc.etc...(no malice intended for the sight-impaired!!lol)). SO- we've sold our house (bought in 1995-$130,000; sold in 2004-$345,000), have ordered a 2005 3650RK (WE LOVE THIS THING!) which should be in the dealership by 8/24/04 to also install a generator and screen room. Also purchased a 2001 F350 7.3L diesel dually crew cab (only has ps and a/c). This along with our dog, Max (13 yr old shepard mix) and the cat (which should be an adventure by itself!!), we should be hitting the open road by end of September (gotta tie up loose ends). That said, what would be the first thing to do once we able to "take off"??

I enjoy reading the posts here, and hope to contribute to the forums as we're able.

Also, anyone use a DataStorm satellite?? We are thinking of getting one for the 5er as we may be boondocking, or just hanging at a Wal-Mart!!

Thanks in advance for your replies and comments;;;;;

Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
P.S.- Lillian is a respiratory therapist, so she can travel and do the 3mos. assignment things while I play...errr... work temporarily somewhere...
any states in particular that are most worthy of visiting first??
(we'll see all of them eventually!!)..

tedd.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Tedd and lillian, Congratulations on your new montana we are glad to have you here on the MOC and look forward to seeing your post and hearing all about your great adventures. Happy RVing
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Hi, Tedd and Lillian. Welcome aboard. Carol and I were just in your neck of the woods a couple months ago at a family reunion in Winchester. Have fun and enjoy the forum.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Welcome to the MOC. That was some background. You will like it here. Just a bunch of people wanting to get more out of their Montanas.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hello....and WELCOME!

LOVE your energy and excitement!

Nice equity too! Good for you! Pretty crazy....what's gone on with real estate (well, just about everything else, for that matter).

No doubt you'll get lotsa input for what state to go to. I think they all have their own special beauty. If you want to see a real road-warrior, check out MOC member sreigle. His wife Vicki has done a beautiful photo journal of their life on the road.

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/

Have fun!
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place. Keep us posted on your adventures. Congratulations on your new coach. Nice model. Happyrvin.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Greetings and salutations!
We, too, are new owners of a 3650RK and are enjoying it more each day. 90 days now; how long can it last??!!
Make sure you visit the "Redneck Riviera", Gulf Shores, AL if you like the beach without too many tourist traps. The state park is a fabulous place to stay.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good luck on the fulltiming, Tedd and Lillian! Not many have the opportunity at your age.
Nice pictures!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Tedd and Lillian,

Congrats on your 3650 RK. We've looked at them and really liked them. Anyway, as far as Datastorm goes the people that use them really like them. They are a little pricey. I've seen a few sites on the internet that will let you setup your dish on a tri-pod and save a little $$. Also, there are a couple of new companies that have just launched their satellites and are supposed to be priced similar to DSL and Cable Modem when they go on-line at the beginning of 2005. Supposed to have more powerful (read more bandwidth) satellites than Datastorm. Here are some links for you to look at.

http://www.wildblue.com/
http://www.thedatabahn.com/
http://www.rv-anywhere.org/

Hope this helps. Happy trails!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:07 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Tedd & Lillian,
Congrats on the sale of your home and the decision to go full time. We know the Haymarket area as have a sister living in Winchester. She has been telling us how crazy the real estate market is in that area. We just sold our home and close on Friday and are looking forward to spending more time in our Montana. Keep us posted on your adventures!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Welcome Ted and Lillian! Gosh, how great for you to be able to full-time travel in your mid-forties. Please enjoy it for us!!! hahaha

There are some great past conversations here on just about most anything you'd want to find out about. Use the "search" at the top right of your page and you'll be getting into all the great things discussed here so far.

As for me.... I think the pacific coast is fabulous to travel and stay all the way from British Columbia to the Mexican border.

Again, welcome!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:26 AM   #13
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Ted & Lillian and congratulations on your new Montana. It's great to be able to hit the road at will. Enjoy and stay safe.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Head South, then West, then North, then East and start all over again.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:32 AM   #15
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
HAHAHA...thanks for all the kind posts in here!!!
We are going to closing on the 31st..then we can start writing the checks!! Hope we have some $$ left after all is paid!!

tjs.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:51 AM   #16
lras

M.O.C. #2007
Ted and Lillian,
We picked up our 36RK yesterday and are also looking forward to the "first adventure"! You sound like "teckywise" folks, so I'll give you my take on the dish. Seems to me in the UPPER Penninsula of Michigan there are trees on every single campsight. For years we have been setting our satelite on a tripod next to our old trailer with much better results. At least you can move a few feet and find a hole between the trees. We also use a "marriage saver" (signal meter) to find the maximum signal in the most expeditious fashion. I am currently looking for a decent wireless laptop with communication compatibility to enable email and cellphone service. Perhaps you have suggestions.
Enjoy your new RV and good luck on the road!
Len and Jan
lras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:16 AM   #17
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
Len & Jan....
Our 3650RK came off the assembly line today(8/30/04)... can't wait to see it!! Hopefully, it will be here by Thursday, and prepped for Labor day w/e...

anyways..as far as your laptop issues go..
just about ANY laptop will do fine for email.. (we use AOL) as long as u have internet svc. be-it dial-up or satellite. You can get internet enabled cellphones to check email, but unless you have some time on your hands, and small fingers to use the phone, it's not practical (or $$ friendly).

There are some satellite companies (still in the making), that enable VoIP(Voice over IP) to make calls directly from your laptop to any phone in the world. It uses the internet to direct conversations across the computers, but is seamless to you. There are numerous software applications to handle this, but you'll need a microphone on the laptop. Even ICQ has a companion program called Qtalk that is based in Australia. It allows fellow ICQ members to use VoIP to talk to each other. But all this tech. depends largely on one thing; your bandwidth capability. Using a dial-up phone line, it's gonna be shoddy at best. Using broadband via satellite, or using a campgrounds existing connectivity (sans dial-up), it's a good thing without having to use your cell phone, or landline.

I have my eye on a Toshiba 1.5Ghz laptop at the moment; about $1,000. with wireless ethernet, although, i'd rather plug directly into a satellite rcvr/xmitter. Wireless ethernet is great if you want portability around the rig/campground, but it's easy to "snoop" by another wirless user, which they could also hijack your connection. It sounds "fearful", but it's usually not. Does it happen?? All the time!! Most PDA's sold today have a wireless sniffer built into them to see what wireless networks are in the area. (and to test the security of them).

What I plan to do is get a new laptop, and use it for email/surfing via a satellite dish. If you look a few posts ago on this topic, there is three links to new satellite carriers (other than DataStorm) that offer less expensive setups. As for using the phone, i'll stick with my cell phone. If I absolutely have to make a call that the cell can't connect to, I'll use a phone card in a pay phone. Or call collect.

Hope this helps!!

tjs.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #18
lras

M.O.C. #2007
Ted and Lillian,
Wow! I certainly asked the right person! I'll go to work on the 1.5 Toshiba and I'll save your message as the bible on 5th wheel communication. So far I've turned on the heat in the camper as well as the fire place. Turns out some rocket scientist positioned the heatalor from the fire place directly at the thermastat on the ac/heater unit on the wall three feet from the fire place. Bottom line ... use the fireplace when it is hot so it doesn't affect the heater. Chapter 2 ... In order to turn the electric water heater off you have to go outside the camper and toggle the switch in the water heater unit. This happens frequently in campgrounds with limited amperage. The 50 amp unit we own requires more than 15 amps to operate. Thus, if you want the frig and water heater on gas you must accomodate the outside switch first and then deal with the inside switches. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (my home) it seems redundant! Inside/ outside/ inside/ outside .. up here, we practically have a straight line genetic linneage to begin with. Oh well, live and learn! I really am enjoying the new unit. It is just different, requiring new procedures, new habits and "yes" an occasional manual! I've got a couple of years to retirement, but I sure envy you guys. Have a ball and stay in touch!

Len
lras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #19
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hi Tedd and Lillian,
Sounds like you two are ready to go! As we are on the West Coast we are partial to these states. Hope you can work them into your travel agenda. Good Luck and watch for all the Montanas on the road!
#29 fans Chuck and Linda
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #20
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tsteele

Len & Jan....

anyways..as far as your laptop issues go..
just about ANY laptop will do fine for email.. (we use AOL) as long as u have internet svc. be-it dial-up or satellite. You can get internet enabled cellphones to check email, but unless you have some time on your hands, and small fingers to use the phone, it's not practical (or $$ friendly).
We use our cellphone hooked up to our laptop to check email and our website. Works fine, please add reading glasses to the list of required items. After 2100 hrs there is no charge for our cellphone minutes. Be prepared to accomplish other tasks while the slow connection speed pokes along. One of the pluses is that I can do the Internet thing while in my rig without the hassle of waiting in line for my turn at the office (if available), being limited in the amount of alloted time or having to pay a surcharge for the service. Works for me.
We are enjoying our 3650RK and hope to see everyone at the Rally.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote