Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Marathon tires

Now that I'm on this site and I've been deluged with all this information on tires (where was all this info when I bought my RV a year ago) I went and checked and of course I've got four marathon tires. With my upcoming trip from New York to Florida I find that I'm questioning if I need to make the change to better tires before heading out. That being said...does anyone know if Goodyear offers any special pricing on upgrading to a better tire?

Firstrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Any credit would have to be through a tire shop since you do not have damage for Goodyear to adjust. In my opinion, you have one of the heavier rigs (3402 I noticed on a previous post - which should be added to your signature line in your profile (hint)) and I would strongly advise replacing the Marathons with a heavier G-rated tire. Goodyear G614's have been widely used and there have been recent reports on the availability of Sailun brand tires also. The decision is ultimately yours.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Stinks that you have to wait for damage before getting consideration for changeover.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree, on our last rig, I made it clear to the dealer that the 3750 was not leaving the lot riding on Marathons. They put G614's on and credited me a mutually agreed upon price on the Marathons. I was fortunate to already have heard of problems via the MOC forum before the purchase.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
I guess next time I'll know better!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Firstrmc, consider that every Montana leaving the factory in Indiana had Marathon tires on them, those that were delivered to the US Pacific Northwest and Lower Mainland of British Columbia were all pulled here by truck. They traveled approximately 2500 miles before we even took them off the lot.
That trip of course was with the trailer empty before we add all our "stuff" and the drivers may have exceeded the speed limit rating for those tires on many of the highways getting here. I found no issues with my tires on delivery and had put an additonal 8000 miles on them before trading them in on Goodyear G614's. Mine were in good shape, were inspected by the tire dealer and I was given $100.00 each for the tires on trade.

I know my unit is not overweight because I have scaled it, I do not travel over 65 mph so have not abused the tires due to excessive speed, however I was always concerned about the minimal spare capacity the Marathon provided and that is why I changed to a "G" rated tire.

Could I have traveled another 8 or 10 k miles without incident, perhaps I could, but I chose instead to add that extra carry capacity as insurance. I am not making any recommendations, just letting you know there are many who have "not" had issues with the Marathons when not overloaded or driven at excessive speeds.

As has been mentioned it is your money, your choice ultimately.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For us, peace of mind was worth the money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
A good light truck tire will also be better than what you have now.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I tried to find the Sailun G-rated tires, but no one that I talked to could even get them around here. Would have to order from the west coast or Canada and shipping was expensive for such a heavy tire. I agree that a good LT tire would be better that the Marathons. Getting my new ones put on n the morning..
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I also take care of my tires, pressure, speed. Never exceed 62 mph! Not over weight, the trailer that is, teehee! Still had 4 belt failures in first year. Traded up to G614s , troubles over. Of course, new Big Sky came with them. IMHO , peace of mind and safety are priceless.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

I tried to find the Sailun G-rated tires, but no one that I talked to could even get them around here. Would have to order from the west coast or Canada and shipping was expensive for such a heavy tire. I agree that a good LT tire would be better that the Marathons. Getting my new ones put on n the morning..
Tredit told us at the rally they could get the Sailuns for us. I didn't get the reps' phone number, but I bet someone else picked up one of their cards.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
To the OP,

Before you do anything, weigh your rig to get axle weights. A LT tire has a capacity of 3042lbs per tire. They will de-rate your axle capacity to 6,000lbs per axle.

If you are close to 12k on the axles then a "G" rated tire should be considered.

My 3150RL is a light trailer, with 10,300lbs on the axles and a LT was enough for me. I sold the Marathon tires on Craigs list.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I've already posted about my Marathon problems. My Montana is also one of the heavy ones. I'm going with G rated next spring, either Goodyear or something equivalent. Also, due to personal experience, I strongly recommend exchanging tires before a pull to Fla.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Got my Firestone HT tires put on today. My Marathons had already worn quite a bit on the center part of the tread. Looked more like a three year old tire than a one year old. And yes, I keep them gauged. Feel a lot better with the new ones on.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
If my used unit hadn't came with G614's I would have upgraded after reading everything about the Marathons. We also are heading to Florida soon and nothing would be worse than to get held up for hours and hours with a blow out, not to mention the damage it could cause or safety issues when one blows. Our friends made the trip from Florida to Illinois this summer in their new SOB new toy hauler 5th wheel, 40' triple axle. They had a blow out on the way up (with damage) and just a flat tire on the way back (without damage). So that was 2 of out 6 tires that failed while traveling 3,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #16
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I just had a blowout on I 35 W yesterday on a Marathon. I see that it is suggested to call goodyear because it did do damage to the RV body. I have not seen any discussion on whether Goodyear will allow a " trade up " to these G 614's everyone is talking about. Also , dooes our goodsam RV policy cover anything? It looks like my wheel is shot in addition to the body damage ?

By the way , i bought trailer new, and tires have no more than 4000 miles put on by me. I am very attentive to checking pressure , in fact did so a week ago before our little trip.

I have no idea of the weight of my 3455SA - anybody help ?

Any help here is always appreciated.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Superdave

I just had a blowout on I 35 W yesterday on a Marathon. I see that it is suggested to call goodyear because it did do damage to the RV body. I have not seen any discussion on whether Goodyear will allow a " trade up " to these G 614's everyone is talking about. Also , dooes our goodsam RV policy cover anything? It looks like my wheel is shot in addition to the body damage ?

By the way , i bought trailer new, and tires have no more than 4000 miles put on by me. I am very attentive to checking pressure , in fact did so a week ago before our little trip.

I have no idea of the weight of my 3455SA - anybody help ?

Any help here is always appreciated.
There has been lots of discussion about it and yes, Goodyear does permit an upgrade provided you have the old carcass. Several people here have said Goodyear allowed them to upgrade after a blowout situation. As for damage to your unit, talk to Goodyear about that too - it comes under product liability.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like Tom S. hints, a carcass will help, but if the rubber has been blown off the wheel and the carcass is not available, then pictures of the wheel and damage will definitely help. I read about this on another thread.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
Tithy242
Established Member

M.O.C. #11176
We joined the GoodYear Marathon blowout club on Friday; very frustrating the destruction caused by this. After reading this thread I called the tire shop and they still had the blown carcass. I wonder how often the manufacture is able to determine cause? In my case the tread was completely thrown and the body basically disintegrated. I think they will say sorry and too bad for you but I do have a claim started so we'll see.

I verified my rims will take a G rated tire and the higher air pressure so I'm looking at G614, Sailun/Hercules, Karrier, etc. Any others I should consider? Mostly I've seen G614 mentioned here and started to see some chatter about Sailun.

Would love to hear more about TPMS products used by the readers as well. Maybe if I had a warning about heat / pressure I could have avoided the trailer damage.

Thank you everyone!

Tithy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you have a hard time finding Sailun tires, Maxxis is another option. While they aren't hogging up shelves at your tire store either, they might be easier to get and have been around for a while as a good ST tire replacement.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote