Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Mor/Ryde X Factor

I did a search on the forum for the x-factor system by Mor/Ryde and read all of the threads. So here's my question. I saw that some of you installed just one x-factor crossmember and others went with three. I assume the situation is that one is good but three are better, or maybe not?? Will one give me some good stability of the frame, or do you feel three cross braces are a definite necessity?

I'm having them installed in mid June so have time to add to the order if necessary. Also having JT Strong Arm stabilizers installed at the same time so am looking forward to them for sure. Thanks.

tobymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
There are 3 points of strain, front of wheels, center of wheels and rear of wheels. I installed X-Factor crossmembers at all three of the points.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I did all three also. I like the spring shackles being supported.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ours was put in as part of a factory recall, and some engineer somewhere decided that only one was needed on the center. Therefore, that is what we have installed, since it was a free fix. I will not venture into the engineering side as to which is actually better, but will stick with others in saying that at least with regards to the minimal added price, three would seem preferable better than one.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe the center one is most critical because it helps prevent the center suspension from warping/bending the "I" beam it is mounted to.
I believe the front and rear beef up the spring hangers and prevent them from breaking welds.
As stated the front and rear have a lot of torque on them when you do tight turns. Just look at the stress put on your tires and rims half way through the turns.
I found one side of a spring hanger busted. I took my unit to a welding shop and he welded caps on the outside ends of the spring hangers and then a gusset on the end. With that addition I did not feel I needed the front and rear Xfactor.
I recommend yes put on all three.
This is my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When Mor/ryde put on my independent suspension they welded two large tubes in there so it would seem they feel more support is needed there than just one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I installed three. Three will give you more of what they are meant to do. Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Thank you for all of the good info. I had been leaning towards the 3 crossmembers but thought I would double check to make sure it wasn't just overkill. I did call and order the complete set of three and will be having them installed in June, long before heading out for any extended trips. Traveling cross country on our sometimes rough freeways makes us want to do as much extra reinforcing as possible to hopefully avoid future problems. Thanks again.
tobymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
In having a spring hanger break at the welds onto the frame, I had all three installed. I happened to be at Morryde for other reasons and they identified the broken hanger. I feel much better from a safety point of view and the hangers do not show the stress of the turns as John Kohl mentioned in an earlier post.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote