Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Bugs

M.O.C. #12623
Tank question

I changed my batteries this weekend and re-installed them, I checked the tank levels and the gray was close to E the black was full and the galley was 3/4 it will have been sitting for several weeks and a couple more before I get it to my site. Would it help to put rid or some kind of treatment in the tanks while its sitting before I try to dump them ?

Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We always add products to the black tank...believe it has helped to keep that tank clean and its sensors showing accurate readings. The two grey tanks are another story. When those two tanks start showing 1/3 full AFTER dumping, we start adding products to help clean the sensors, but often just adding water (at least to the 2/3 level) seems to do the trick. This has worked for us...others will have their own view on the subject.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bugs

I changed my batteries this weekend and re-installed them, I checked the tank levels and the gray was close to E the black was full and the galley was 3/4 it will have been sitting for several weeks and a couple more before I get it to my site. Would it help to put rid or some kind of treatment in the tanks while its sitting before I try to dump them ?
Are you sure the black tank is full or is the sensor saying it's full? I would venture a guess that the sensor has some debris on it causing it to think the tank is full. This is very common in RVs. As for adding Rid-X or something else to the tank before dumping, there is usually sufficient bacteria in the black tank contents to break down the stuff. If it was me, I'd fill the black water tank with water and then dump. We've never added anything to the black tank except for Snow Fresh which is something that helps liquify everything in the tank.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We did everything everyone, including Keystone customer service, recommended and our black tank sensor is still worthless.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our black tank on the new Big Sky showed 1/4 full out of the factory.We seldom use anything in any of the tanks.Lots of water and a good dump will do the job.Most products are primarily deodorizers and do little to break down waste. Enzime bassed products work but must be given time to act. If whatever you are doing works for you....keep on doing it..As for the gages//lights than mean nothing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
Bugs

M.O.C. #12623
Thanks for the quick responses, when I get it to home base I will filler up and dump it.didn't know the sensors where junk
Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even after doing this sometimes it clears up and sometimes it doesn't. In time, you'll learn when the tanks are really full or not. In the meantime the sensors aren't accurate, they are "suggestions".

If you do a search of the forums you'll find all kinds of posts where these sensors are mostly humorous (mostly crap) and not to be taken seriously (you become the "sensor")! HA HA HA, no kidding. There, I now feel better about that feature in my rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
The only product i have found that helps to clean the tanks is RV Digest_it.
I have used it and it does appear to work. You can find it at Ace Hardware or order it online.

Here is a link http://www.uniquedistributing.com/pr...products_id=94
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Rich
Lots of water and a good dump will do the job.-------The first part is a good idea but the second part is the problem lol lol lol sorry...... None of my gauges work right but the most important tank, the black one, you can tell is almost full when it burps back at you, that is the most accurate way to tell. I use the Calgon and detergent method occasionally. Still won't get the guages to work but will clean the tank good.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
As stated by Richfaa our rig straight from the factory showed 1/4 full on the black tank, which irratated me to no end. At least let me see it shown as empty once...

I've always drowned the black tank with lots of water and flushed it until everything runs clear on both our new Montana and the old one. Even with this process the black tank went from a constant 1/4 to 1/2 reading even after a thorough dumping. As stated previosuly, the indicators are rather worthless.

While at a Rally for a travel club this topic came up and one of the members trotted out a product called 'Happy Camper'. It's a black and grey tank deodorizer as well as he had the 'extreme' clean version of Happy Camper. We put in the appropriate amount of extreme product, filled the black tank up completely, and let it set 24-hours. When we dumped after the 24-hour period, this was the first time I'd ever seen an 'Empty' reading for our black tank. I swapped over to the regular Happy Camper product and went a good 6-7 months (an average of 14-15 dumps) without having any indicator error readings. The first time I had a 1/4 tank reading after a thorough dump I did the extreme process for another 24-hour period and it's been an Empty reading after each dump since then.

I won't say this is the perfect product to use or the best method, but it's working for us and if the DW is happy then I'm the original "Happy Camper" (I know, bad pun)!

If interested in checking it out, here's their website:
http://www.5starhappycamper.com/
randerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we also use the happy camper enzime based product and it works most of the time We will use the product when sitting at home for awhile.....Dave..No,No on the Burp method...that is sooo gross.Do you realize what is burping at you///40 gallons of //waste///yuuckkkkkkkk.

Dump often......no burps.... aghhhhhhh.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote